Bought a new car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Oct 14, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

If it was an E28 528i (ie from 82-88) then a worn cam is to be expected, whether it's been ragged or not - it's the only problem in the M30 engine which, if serviced regularly, will go on forever.

Seeker_UK, Oct 30, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

E30 320i - cheap to run.

Seeker_UK, Oct 30, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hi Seeker...

yes it was an E28! My brother used to drive it til it hit reserve then put the trip counter on. One day when I was having a lift he said "right we've got 17.5 miles" it dutifully hit 17.5miles and conked out at the petrol pump, a very odd way of running a car and filling the fuel system full of crap into the bargain! Still bought it, it really turned heads.

SMEagol, Oct 30, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I went to him he checked and and said there is no way it could have been overfilled now he knows he gets a lot of business from us so I can't see why he would lie about that.

amazingtrade, Oct 30, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Good. Back to smoke watching then.

Bob McC, Oct 30, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

A clue AT, white smoke, no problem, black smoke - oh shit!, purple smoke - you're the next pope!

lordsummit, Oct 30, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

ahh, you've give the game away now... :D

mr cat, Oct 30, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

SMEagol Because we wants it...

On my car if its white and it smells sweet your coolants leaking into the combustion chamber and your head gaskets gone. maybe thats just a 944 thing.
    The water leaky pump wasn't a great idea either Mr Porsche.

SMEagol, Oct 30, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

At the moment I must admit to having a sneaking suspicion that the oil in my car is wrong - I think someone has put something like 5W30 or 10W40 in it, instead of the recommended 0W20. Problem is, how to know for sure...

I-S, Oct 30, 2008
  10. amazingtrade

what makes you think that..? :)

mr cat, Oct 30, 2008
  11. amazingtrade

DavidF

'cos the starter won't turn it over...?

:D

DavidF, Oct 30, 2008
  12. amazingtrade

mr cat, Oct 30, 2008
  13. amazingtrade

I suppose we should all be doing our own oil changes, the problem is on modern cars its not easy to do and getting rid of the old stuff is tricky.

The great thing about my engine is it dosn't really care what you put in it, my mate uses 20/50 in his £1.99 for 500ml and hasn't done it any harm.

I use 10/40 in and so has my dad for the past 15 months with no mechanical problems whats so ever.

Modern 16 valve engines though correct oil is crucial, this has been one of the problems with finding a Zetec, you ask what oil they put in and they say "motor oil from wilkinsons" in otherwords 20/50 mineral oil in a modern twin cam engine, not clever :(.

I have to drive down Chester Road (A56) soon to a job and dreading that but before my car I would have walked there, 2.8 miles in 5c temperature so I should be greatful.

14. amazingtrade

DavidF

Sorry , you're talking to the wrong person about this stuff....it doesn't help that my brother is a mechanical engneer...who works for major oil complany.

I got the importance of good quality oil in a car instilled in my BIG STYLE.

IMO your crap 1,99 stuff with a packet of chewing gum just ain't the same stuff.

Ok, so your goign to dump youy motor next mot......thats a bit different....but just think about those metal parts rubbing against each other @ 5000 rpm then tell me it doesn't matter.

FWIW I don't do my own oil changes; the sump plug is usually heat welded on.....so I',m happy to let the guy down the raod do it for 30 quid. (50 actually, the transit uses dear oil)

DavidF, Oct 30, 2008
  15. amazingtrade

David I don't personaly use the stuff, I don't touch it, its horrible narty stuff, but my mate uses it all the time.

I buy Halfords 10/40 semi synth for top up purposes (23 a for 5 litres) it is supposed to be good Comma stuff.

I am not sure if I will dump the car or not come MOT time, I know there are a lot of parts I have on this which my dad needs (MAF, ICV etc) so I could seap them and still sell it for £200 spares/repair it might be better than spending £200 on an MOT, but thats ages away yet.

I actually tell my customers more and more often that their PCs are not worth fixing, I then get the job of transfering data to their new PC to everybody is happy. I haven't done a motherboard replacement for over two years now, it is not good value for the customer.

16. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

Was even worse when I was repairing laptops, it's just not worth it these days (which is why I went more on the web design/software side) what with the likes of Dell knocking out quad core Intel's with two terabyte hard drives and 500GB of RAM for £12.50 - it's a pointless exercise :cool:

RDD, Oct 30, 2008
  17. amazingtrade

Yep, with most hardware jobs now if its a regular customer I just collect the PC, stick it on my bech at home do all the tests, if its RAM will fix it, anything else depending on the age will tell them to scrap it, I still do a lot of hard drive replacements though on desktops and laptops, this is a repair still worth doing.

I was supposed to go into the web side of things, have actually produced some high quality websites for clients but I am lazy and would not professional enough doing it full time.

Most my work now is virus removal, network diagnostics, advice that sort of thing.

Now I am driivng though in the new year I will have see if I can find something better paid, I am 26 and driving round in a £350 car so something has to change although I am not exactly skint.

I have a feeling the longer this recession goes on the busier I will be, because people are no longer automaticaly going to PCWORLD etc, people at the cheaper end of the scale will be a lot busier (the ALDI effect).

18. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

Unless he uses one of those things that sucks the oil out through the filler pipe which doesn't remove all the sh1t from the sump :mad:

Seeker_UK, Oct 30, 2008
  19. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

have actually produced some high quality websites for clients

who spellchecks them for you?

Bob McC, Oct 30, 2008
  20. amazingtrade

DavidF

Ouch!

You snob AT!!!

DavidF, Oct 30, 2008