Car speaker wiring problem

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, May 28, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

its not quit that bad yet,any electrical work carried out in a kitchen or bathroom,or any major electrical work falls under part p and must either be caried out by a register sparks or inspected by the local councils building control officer.What realy p****s me of is at work, were part p dosnt apply,i can work on electrical system that are a dam site more complicate,dangerous and draws a lot more power than anything youll find in a domestic enviroment, but i cant change the light fitting in the my bog without paying for the work to be inspected.And yes i do have a piece of paper from the JIB that classes me as an electrical technition (2 grades up from an electrician)
    Hippy climbs of his high horse and go's in search of the rizzlas

themadhippy, May 30, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

F**k so you have to pay a the council to get a simple light fitting fitted? I replaced an old 1950's one in our kitchen in last year its not near any water sources and its a damn site safer than the old fitting yet if that law was in when I did it that would have been ilegal?

I hate all this nanny state thing, if there is somthing I don't think I can do safely I won't attempt it. I can do light fittings, plug sockets etc, but I cannot add a new circuit to consumer unit, I know how to do it in theory but it can easily go wrong so I would not attempt it.I suppose the problem is some people do not have common sense and do some really dodgy stuff.

Next you will need to get your HIFI system wiring inspected.

I can totaly understand why you shouldn't wire plugs at work becuase if you get some idiot wiring a kettle who gets the -/+ the wrong way round and dosn't connect the earh and it has metal casing you have a few dead employees.

amazingtrade, May 30, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

AT, interesting you mention about getting hifi wiring inspected. A year or so ago, I decided to finally get around to terminating my speaker cables with proper plugs. When I mentioned to the guys in the shop that I had a Yamaha receiver, they mentioned that I'd need to give the plugs a firm push into the speaker terminals.

The reason why? EU law dictates that they cannot advertise that you can use plugs in speaker terminals, due to some bright spark (no pun intended ;)) once connecting a two-pin plug (this happened in Germany, I believe, where I persume they use two-pin plugs) to the back of his amp.

Similar situation occured when I bought my second pair of Mission speakers recently - each binding post contained a small plastic lug that I had to ease out with a small screw driver, to stop people from plugging live mains into a speaker. I'd not noticed it with the first pair, as they were ex-demo.

As usual, those without common-sense cause the extra control/paranoia. McDonalds Coffee incident springs to mind here!

nsherin, May 30, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Yep the banana plug thing is stupid. I will be using them I don't care if they are ilegal they are perfectly safe. Common sense ditacts electrical safety laws not the German's.

What rating ternimal block should I use? Idealy the smaller stuff would be better but they are only rated at about 3amps however they are used in houses for the lighting circuits so they should be good enough for a car speaker?

5. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Pop along to either a car audio shop or somewhere like Maplins, who have a car audio section and ask there. Although I don't buy car audio (haven't got a car), I've used both car audio shops and Maplins for things such as RCA splitters/terminal blocks.

nsherin, May 30, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

I used ternimal blocks in the end and then used insultation tape round it to make sure there is no way any fray cores can short. Its very secure now and I am glad I have rewired it it just puts my mind at rest.

Ask a Question