CD lathe and BLACK CDRs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Dec 19, 2006.

1. larkrise

Garmt

Stellabagpuss, might you have a problem with your <Shift> button?

Garmt, Dec 22, 2006
  2. larkrise

zanash

Not to decry tones......but he is unable to hear the differences between IC's What makes you think that his view is any more valid than the next person especially as he can't hear the difference between lathed and unlathed ?

Not to go over old ground but the majority of kit that I've tried two duplicate discs in [one lathed one not] have all made a clear difference. On one occasion the owner could not hear the difference at first ...but after going back to the unlathed cd after a couple of hours he felt the lathed disc had more life and scale ..the unlathed disc being rather flat and lifeless [in a musical sense]

We tried a cheese grater but the greasy marks made the laser skip though once the disc had been smeared with blue stilton it was completely unplayable.

zanash, Dec 22, 2006
  3. larkrise

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Tones' hearing alleged differences or not has no impact whatsoever on his detailed understanding of materials and the manufacturing process of CDs.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 22, 2006
  4. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Last night I tried lathing a mince pie. It was tricky, but I managed it. Then I went around the edge of the crust with a black marker. After several tastes i can report that there was absolutely no discernable difference in quality between thelathed mince pie and the original. So I can agree with you sceptics that this lathe doesn't work on everything. There was sufficient crust on the outer edge so as not to damage the contents. Merry Xmas.

larkrise, Dec 22, 2006
  5. larkrise

Garmt

I tried the lathe on my brain and I am definitely thinking more sharply now... ;)

Garmt, Dec 22, 2006
  6. larkrise

Dev Moderator

As Tony says, this is really irrelevant. Tones was pointing out how the life of the CD may be shortened drastically after lathing.

Dev, Dec 22, 2006
  7. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I think these types of tweeks need to be looked at from the outside.

If jo bloggs was to come round your house and see your expensive hifi he might think, 'wow expensive hifi I bet that sounds great' If you were to then pull out a lathe and start trimming cds, he might very well back up carefully to the door.

garyi, Dec 22, 2006
  8. larkrise

Garmt

:)

Garmt, Dec 22, 2006
  9. larkrise

zanash

Please your selves ...no skin of my nose that you can hear things ...but don't tell me that I'm not hearing them.

Tones has had a long series of pm with me I'm certain that he wont mind me saying ......

His over all view is that he can't hear differences between Ic's ...now ask yourself

Now if you can hear the difference between wires, does that lead you to trust his speculation on other matters ?

To mis quote an old saying ...
    Me thinks you protest to much

Ah.... garyi

so you've heard a lathed cd have you or are you talking from a none hands on position ?

I have a number of dubious duplicate discs kindly donated by a member of the forum ....

Why not pm me and I'll post one lathed and one unlathed...

you can then speak from a position of experience

There is a catch you will need to make a charitable donation to the MS society [details will be provided]

zanash, Dec 22, 2006
  10. larkrise

Dev Moderator

Pete, you are the one missing the point entirely. We are NOT talking about being able to hear the differences!!!

Dev, Dec 22, 2006
  11. larkrise

DavidF

If there is a POSSIBLE issue over lathed disc longevity, isn'' the thing to do to replicate discs for lathing......then you still have the origional?

There is no doubt (for me anyway)it works on my system.

regs,

David

DavidF, Dec 22, 2006
  12. larkrise

Dev Moderator

That's fine David. No issues at all with this but to simply dismiss Tones' view about lathed disc's longevity because he can't hear any differences between tweaks is blinkered.

BTW, I am not commenting on either the longevity or any claimed improvements in sound, since I don't know enough about the former and can't comment on the latter because I've not tried it. I'm merely pointing out that what Tones was saying was unrelated to the improvements in the sound.

Dev, Dec 22, 2006
  13. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Zanash what are you on about.

I just clearly stated that I do not want friends and non audiophiles to look at me like I am a nutter, so even if a lathed CD sounds like the effing bees knees I am still not interested.

But its fun to watch.

garyi, Dec 22, 2006
  14. larkrise

DavidF

DavidF, Dec 22, 2006
  15. larkrise

Could well be they aren't affected at all, we don't know. But I am now finding - see start of the thread, that a CD burnt on to a black lathed CDR goes the further mile in quality - so no risk though of course you have to burn a copy.

larkrise, Dec 22, 2006
  16. larkrise

DavidF

.....would this be due to the colour (fewer reflections etc) or a specific make?

D.

DavidF, Dec 22, 2006
  17. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Dec 22, 2006
  18. larkrise

mosfet

Black CDs are so 2006.

I forecast orange CDs will be big in '07! I've tried one; they sound a little more fruity.

[​IMG]

mosfet, Dec 22, 2006
  19. larkrise

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Exactly. I’m also a record dealer. I’d no more buy a lathed CD than I would a cracked record. I’m actually interested in seeing one so I can identify and reject any I should come across in the future. I would never knowingly sell someone a CD damaged in this way.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 22, 2006
  20. larkrise

Yep - that's the theory it's laser light deflection

but if Orange is next years colour then fine - don't know they'll sound better though!

I used to have this sort of negativity when convincing our Coven that Goat's Blood is far better in sacrificial rituals, ALWAYS negative from folk who hadn't actually tried the Goats Blood Ritual!

larkrise, Dec 23, 2006
Ask a Question