Cheap Carts and Stages- help please!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Nov 21, 2003.

1. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

argggh...confusion...

a bit of trichord fono stage history...

the dino...wall wart psu and external psu...AFAIK no never connected. mm and mc

delphini...first incarnations were the stereo and the monoblocs, the monos had 4 boxes, 2 amps and 2 psus.

These I think were only mc, but still with adjustments.

Delphini mk2, this added mm adjustments to the already very adjustable. Dunno about circuitry changes.
    Graham fowler talked about the 1st opamp being difficult to get supplies, and had problems finding another good one.

Power supplies were the wall wart, and a large psu, the same one as the orca used.

Then the never connected came out, so you have the 3: wall wart, large psu, and n/cs...OK?

Not compared, tempted, but would get one s/hand, saving about £400 or more.

Hard to believe you could get MUCH better than the dino.

Yes the isos treble was purer, but more clinical and less bass grumble, too.

Can't go wrong with an EAR, really sound choice.

Interestingly, one of the most revered valve pre amps, the marantz model 7, appears to have been 'copied' by mr de paravicini for his phono stage and line stage.

They differ in small details, but the topology is pretty much identical. Even Tim can't reinvent the wheel!, clever as he is. So, in getting an EAR amp, all those mourners who wish they had the marantz model 7, can almost have one with an ear. Probably more reliable, too. tho' I bet the old one has a certain something to it. They don't get reputations for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Nov 24, 2003
  2. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Arh twas you that phoned this afternoon about twenty to 2 then Jools :).
    I have to admit to being the bearer of mis-information, The dino plus I thought Graham had made a N/c version (he hasn't yet, I must have got the delphini & dino mixed up :eek: ) The dino plus + case won't support a full n/c psu, Graham is comtemplating one in the near furture I feel. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 24, 2003
  3. merlin

Joolsburger

It was indeed me that called!! Small world..

Joolsburger, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question