Come on England (Olympics - NOT football)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by badchamp, Aug 18, 2004.

1. badchamp

wolfgang

Zhang Ning got her gold. Choose to out last and out play Mia Audina point over 3 sets. Great skills and stamina. Incredible for a 29 years old. That is the nature of the game. One need to pace for long rally. No cheap point. Would have been better for Mia Audina to win the first gold for Netheland but she still gave them the first medal.

Can't wait for the GB vs China mix doubles Final. Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms - Zhang Jun/Gao Ling.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2004
    wolfgang, Aug 19, 2004
  2. badchamp

Philip King Enlightened User

Thanks wolfgang, watched that match without reading this and found it really entertaining, and even more so now, nothing like a little history to spice things up a bit.

Bloody quick game badminton!

Interesting difference in body shapes between the two players.

Philip King, Aug 19, 2004
  3. badchamp

wolfgang

Come on .........Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms

1:15 ouch
    15:13 yeahhhhhh
    11:8 i think we can do it .............

wolfgang, Aug 19, 2004
  4. badchamp

wolfgang

11:11

please .......focus.

wolfgang, Aug 19, 2004
  5. badchamp

wolfgang

down........11:14......yeahhhh............superb gamble from Nathan move forward to the net...got the service back at.. 12:14.........damn no point after both serves ...back at 12:14

great back flick from Gail ave a match point....still 12:14 ...second serve.......

noooooo............ :baby:

Zhang Jun/Gao Ling Gold
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms Silver

wolfgang, Aug 19, 2004
  6. badchamp

badchamp Thermionic Member

Fantastic match after the first game, disappointing for GB (ok Dean??? :D ) cos they played the best I've ever seen them play and they were leading up until 11 all in third. But having said that, a silver is tremendous for Gail and Nathan (they were seeded 4 so have exceeded their "official" expected position) and the raising of badminton's profile is excellent. A bit of a cliche but I'm sure if they were asked at the beginning if they would be happy with silver at the end, they'd have said yes.

Many congrats to them both

badchamp, Aug 19, 2004
  7. badchamp

Philip King Enlightened User

bugger....

Philip King, Aug 19, 2004
  8. badchamp

wolfgang

Sorry... got a bit carried away back there. Did you enjoy the mix double match as well?

The British team deserve all the congratulation and praise. That is a wonderful achievement. British team has been rank below the other hot nations for too long. There is hope.

wolfgang, Aug 19, 2004
  9. badchamp

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I missed the badminton today, I was at an interview, but well done to the Team GB pair ( ;) ), .Nathan Robertson & Gail Emms for getting the silver.

There was a gold won by Britain in the Yngling (sailing). Well done to Shirley ROBERTSON, Sarah AYTON and Sarah WEBB.

Also James Goddard got uprated to bronze in the backstroke. More medals are in the offering.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 19, 2004
  10. badchamp

Dev Moderator

No Dean, the original result was re-instated. I didn't catch the whole story, something about the lane judge not being able to explain the infringement in the official language. Very strange.

Edit: just found this:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/swimming/3581178.stm

P.S. well done to Team GB for getting the Silver.

Dev, Aug 19, 2004
  11. badchamp

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Dev,

Strange happenings here. All very odd.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 19, 2004
  12. badchamp

GAZZ

There was good coverage of Michaela Breeze who represented Team GB in the womens weightlifting. I only saw bits of the other events in the weighlifting comp. I do like watching the super heavy weightlifting comp.

SCIDB

Yes i saw that, she did very well. coverage will be even less now the athletics have started. What the bbc have not shown is how tactics play a big part in weightlifting i for example have never seen the lifting board (who goes next) on tv, most people just think the weightlifters just take it in turns as the weight is raised.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 20, 2004
  13. badchamp

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

i see great britian has won gold in the white rafting

the team from cornwall won the event in there white transit

themadhippy, Aug 21, 2004
  14. badchamp

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Nice one Les. :D

A good day for Team GB yesterday. Medal galore. Well done.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 22, 2004
  15. badchamp

notaclue

Hi, Olympic fans. Isn't it good? I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. But...

...Did anyone see BBC today when the mens Hungarian discus winner started doing a lap of honour? One commentator noted how he was a big fella and said he hoped he didn't damage the track. Then Steve Cram said something along the lines of 'I wonder if he thinks he's Batman' or similar and then sang the Batman theme tune (he went "na na na na batman!"). Nothing was said after the Batman outburst. It was simply ignored and the other commentator moved swiftly along.

Basically, can anyone tell me what the f**k Mr Cram was on about? It has had me deeply puzzled all day. :confused:

notaclue, Aug 23, 2004
  16. badchamp

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:lol:

It wasn't just me who was confused by this then.

The other commentator did, as you say, seem to completely ignore and MOve on! Perhaps the heat got to him.

Best I could think of was the flag he was carrying possibly being a super hero style cloak?

MO!, Aug 24, 2004
  17. badchamp

notaclue

Yes. I suppose that is the only possible reason but so many winners wrap/carry a flag round them that I can't see why Hungarian-discus-winner-man should get that comment. He didn't do anything ununsual with the flag or tie it round his neck in a batman-style. The fact that 'Cram' then proceeded to sing was really most peculiar. I was genuinely startled and shocked - it was really bizzare.

Interstingly, it appears Hungarian-discus-winner-man is going to stripped of his medal after trying to cheat a drugs test by tampering with his urine sample. Wot an idiot! I mean, does he think he's Batman? Nanna Nanna Nanna Na Batman!

notaclue, Aug 24, 2004
  18. badchamp

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I saw this incident. It was strange. It was surprising.

More medals gained including a gold for Kelly Holmes in the 800 metres.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 24, 2004
  19. badchamp

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Well done to Kelly Holmes in winning gold in the 1500m. Also well done to the 4x100m relay team for beating the US & getting gold.

Good luck to Amir Khan, going for boxing gold.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 28, 2004
  20. badchamp

GrahamN

Fantastic evening - however.......

It was a great sprint by the 4x100, which redeemed them after some pretty poor individual results. But am I the only one who hasn't forgotten that the only reason the Yanks lost the gold was a truly pathetic baton change. Great effort by Lewis-Francis, but he only held off Greene by the smallest of margins, after he had made up about 2 metres on that last leg.

Kelly Holmes result is fantastic, and so well deserved after her years of battling with injury. It's wonderful to see one of our better athletes perform to (and stretch) her capabilities at this meet. Similarly with Kelly Sotherton who did wonderfully to get a personal best in the Heptathlon. It makes such a change from years of underachievement at the big one. (My memory goes back to David Bedford failing miserably at the 10000m in just about every big meet he entered, even though he was world record holder at the time). Would be nice if this woke the athletes (and probably more accurately the coaches) to concentrate and prepare properly for major championships, rather than the meets leading up to them.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, and last night sort of pulled a pretty disatrous athletics meet out of the bag. The grand medals total is of course pretty good, but that is largely through the rowing/canoeing (7 medals) and sailing (5 medals).

(All spoken with a lifetime's experience of sitting on the sofa - and can probably run about 400m in about 3 minutes before collapsing :D ).

GrahamN, Aug 29, 2004
Ask a Question