Copy Protection - getting around

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MO!

analoguekid Planet Rush

I have never had a cd that couldn't be copied with clone cd (copy them for the car in case they get nicked company car insurance doesn't cover this.) and even for protected games and such there is a companion program called clony that analyses the protection and sends settings to clony to get by this if need be, however have never needed this for music.

If all else fails I could theoretically hook up my CDP up whith digital out to my sound card and use a wave editor (such as sound forge) to record track and then nero to compile cd! Thjought of doing this for the re-recorded Tubular Bells cd and then sending a copy to Mr Oldfield just to prove it could be done.

I have received copies from friends and if i like the album will then go out and buy it as i prefer to have the original with artwork etc.

Paul

analoguekid, Mar 19, 2004
  2. MO!

Sid and Coke

I've only ever had problems with 2 recent CD's.the last Dido album and also Kings of Leon. I use a sony DVDP as my main Hi-Fi silver disc spinner and it wouldn't play either of these albums.I think the main problem being that they have a computer programme on them ( a cd player i think ?). I managed to rip the Audio tracks to my computers HDD and then burn off a copy of each , which played perfectly in all of my household silver disc spinners , whats the point in that ???
    I did write to the record company of the Dido album and surprisingly got a very pleasant & speedy reply from some bod who worked there. He apologised for the inconveinience casused and said he had a couple of alternative versions that i could try. As i'd listened to both of these albums a few times by the time i got his reply and decided that they where not to my current taste , i didn't take him up on his offer and just took them back to the shop for a full refund.
    As for how this complete and utter computer duffer managed to copy the discs in the first place, well i simply put them in my DVD-Rom drive opened up ECDC, browsed down the my computer folder tree and highlighted the relevent Audio tracks then pressed extract, saving them to a folder on my desktop.

Sid and Coke, Mar 19, 2004
Ask a Question