CPU for audio work - AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Tenson

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Seriously though what are you geeks dribbling on about?

You sound like a bunch of pubescent 'buffy watchers'

Macs are slow?

Who among you has genuine experience? Why is pro tools on mac the number one music app in the industry? No let me guess, because they like it slow?

I have a bog standard, run of the mill mac, and I have garage band playing sound fonts and various VST plugins.

I'll be honest I haven't got a clue what I am doing, but slow? Give me a break, you sound like the guys that knew you made the mistake of purchasing the cheapest and are now back peddling as fast as your little legs will carry you.

Face it Macs are for creation, PCs are for regret.

garyi, Jun 18, 2004
  2. Tenson

Hawk

Way to go:D

Hawk, Jun 18, 2004
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I think like Dominic said the main reason for buying Macs in a studio is because you have better support, everyone has the same so there are no compatibility issues. I don't think its to do with speed, the hardware performs no better than that of a PC.

I don't regret having a PC, it works great thanks!

Tenson, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Tenson

analoguekid Planet Rush

yep no regrets here with Pc, some regrets with win98, but not since moving to xp pro, thats another reason why I modded my case, when running 95/98, i was constantly tinkering to make it stable, no such probs with xp pro, pcs and macs now not much in it, macs better support and consistency, pcs versatility.

analoguekid, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Tenson

Tim F

"Seriously though what are you geeks dribbling on about?

You sound like a bunch of pubescent 'buffy watchers'

Macs are slow?

Who among you has genuine experience? Why is pro tools on mac the number one music app in the industry? No let me guess, because they like it slow?

I have a bog standard, run of the mill mac, and I have garage band playing sound fonts and various VST plugins.

I'll be honest I haven't got a clue what I am doing, but slow? Give me a break, you sound like the guys that knew you made the mistake of purchasing the cheapest and are now back peddling as fast as your little legs will carry you.

Face it Macs are for creation, PCs are for regret."

Well thanks for the very agressive reply.... I think you'll notice rather a lot of studios do now use PC's. Many of those are on Cubase. On top of this not everyone uses Pro-Tools, it is industry standard but terrible for Midi. Pro-Tools was the origional and it's become the standard, however many of the plug-ins are available on other packages. It is as simple as this.... it is an industry standard. Ask the question about buying Pro-tools as a beginner on one of the music sites and the majority of people will recommend you get something else and save your money.

My friends PC cost around £3k, hardly cheap, mine was around £1500 (not including monitor).

I'm not knocking Mac's as I've had little to do with them but this Macs vs. PC's has been done to death on the Sound-On-Sound website with Mac's also having their fair share of problems. Do you think that they are perfect???

And don't try and throw that genuine experience stuff at me, I've written two albums.... yes I'm not a professional engineer but then again neither are you and you seem to think your opinion is more important.

Tim F, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Tenson

Tim F

Oh yes and dribling on a bit... I'm a computer professional who owns his own computer company...

what do you do?

Tim F, Jun 19, 2004
  7. Tenson

robert_cyrus

ok, this mac vs pc thing is boring. and using the "i'm an it professional, i own a computer company" doesn't work. i can say the same thing. proves nothing.

pc's are ubiquitous - the parts are cheap, you can build them yourself.

you can't build a mac, you have to buy 1 from apple or an authorised reseller.

that's probably the main reason why pc's seem more popular.

but ask any professional in the music or graphics industry - he's using a mac.

robert_cyrus, Jun 19, 2004
  8. Tenson

Tim F

Robert....

My point here is not about recording studio's, in fact it's not about Mac Versus PC....

I just had my "genuine experience" questioned in a rather offensive manner... and I'm backing it up with music and computer knowledge.

Frankly I don't give a damn what people use but I do object to being called a "pubescent 'buffy watchers'" and a "geek".

We were having a decent discussion until that.... and if you find it boring don't read the thread.

The reason why Macs are big in the music industry has mostly to do with Pro-Tools. Until recently it was only available on the Mac, and being industry standard meant that anyone wanting Pro-tools had to run a Mac. Pro-Tools themselves now make a full version for PC and recognise it as a legitimate platform. If they consider the PC to be good enough who am I to argue?

Mac does not license it's hardware to other manufacturers, that's why you have to buy from a dealer.

Tim

Tim F, Jun 19, 2004
  9. Tenson

robert_cyrus

sorry didnt meant to offend, and i realise now y your response was so.
    i meant "boring" in the sense that the answer will never be resolved, that there is no final resolution to which is "best".
    i run soundforge / wavelab + cubase vst and find that fine for the limited music work i do, and i have a pc because everyone i know has a pc, and so we benefit from each other, if u understand my drift.
    i also have a mac, but it's one out of the arc, it's 10 or 11 years old now.
    interesting about protools now available for pc platform.
    didnt apple flaunt with 3rd party builders a while ago ? i seem to remember mac clones appearing, in the same way that a pc used to be known as an ibm pc, but now they're made by all-and-sundry (including me!).

robert_cyrus, Jun 19, 2004
Ask a Question