D.a.b. Or Analogue Tuners?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Jun 26, 2006.

1. nando

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Thanks Tony, that certainly made a lot of sense and is very helpful. I'll take it on board and quietly look out for a Sony to try unless I spot something else along the way. Paul's right aobut the music mattering most of course, nice to hear it as enjoyably as possible if one can.

Paul L, Jul 7, 2006
  2. nando

lordsummit moderate mod

The best site is www.fmtunerinfo.com

It's a goldmine of info about tuners. You want the most gangs and filters you can afford. That way you'll have the best sound.
    I think 70's supertuners are the most affordable means into the high end you'll find. A good one is absolutely stunning.

lordsummit, Jul 7, 2006
  3. nando

kt66

Have you got any pictures?
    why have you got such a relatively poor phono stage for your great TT? (although the cart is letting it down slightly) and why two CD players?

kt66, Jul 7, 2006
  4. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jul 7, 2006
  5. nando

samurai

used to have a troughline 2, bought it with a built in decoder (philips) which was done in 1967 by pax, at least it said so.

I had the troughline serviced and changed the decoder to a onething, sounded a lot better. total cost was 110 euro for service which also had caps change.

Some ime later I change to a scott 335 mxp decoder, ehich is american sixties tube. A lot more expensive but sounding better. If I had a troughline I would go for a scott 335 or fisher mpx-100.

The only two issues are 110v and the decoder needs a change from 75 to 50 ums I believe, otherwise it sounds too dark. So you will need a very good technician and a manual.

Now I could buy a fisher fmr-1 (like a fm-1000 but with rack handles). This is a better tuner but a lot more expensive.

Troughline is now at my parents and never had any problem. The onoly thing is it received only 9 channels very clear with magnum dynalab 2t-2 on the roof but surrounded by too many high buildings.
    ________
    tempo

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    samurai, Jul 26, 2006
Ask a Question