Dark Side Of The Moon,and bass

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Saab

Saab

update

since the start of the thread I am enjoying the TT more than ever,thanks to a new cart,a Michell counterweight,a Ringmat and moving the TT to a spare Ikea lack

but the flapping still remains

next on list is loosening the nut and fitting a cardboard ring behind it

Saab, Feb 12, 2005
  2. Saab

Gromit Buffet-blower

Dave - tell you what, my new NAS arrives this week so I'll try DSOTM on that. If the cones still flap it'll be the same as on every other TT/cartridge combo I've ever owned ie:

Sansui treble-two
    Planar 3 (both R200 & RB armed)
    LP12
    Gyro

All with a large and varied selection of needles.

Gromit, Feb 12, 2005
  3. Saab

adam

Last night I fitted a Rega Exact (for sale)to retry,I played a record and the cones were all over the place,flapping away like mad!!Ihad to fiddle around with the gain settings on the Phono stage,once set up correctly the cones stop flapping,maybe I think a mismatch between cart,and phono stage,try a phono stage were you can manually adjust the gain settings,I'm sure it will cure the problem.

adam, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Saab

Saab

the phono stage is a spanking MF XLPs V3,no gain control though

Gromit,maybe so,but this gives me a reason to 'tweak' :)

Saab, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Saab

Gromit Buffet-blower

Fair point - but if the cones were to stop flapping, might this also mean something's wrong??? ;)

Seriously - I'll have a play around with the gain/load settings on my Dino, see if it does anything. With regard to cone-flap in general, I find this happens more on some lp's than others - the start of DSOTM is one of the worst, almost as though the heartbeats contain a lot of frequencies which bring out certain reactions in the tt/arm. Also, cartridges which are less damped tend to exacerbate the condition - Grado's always tended to be the worst in my experience.

Gromit, Feb 12, 2005
Ask a Question