Definitely Maybe

Discussion in 'General Music' started by The Devil, Feb 16, 2004.

1. The Devil

RDD Longterm Lurker

As an album Definitely Maybe is very good, quite well recorded and listenable on my headphone rig (although the quality dips towards the last few songs), I was mainly refering to certain songs on certain albums, one example sited was "Whats The Story" which although it's one of their best songs, manages to make me cringe each and every time the band comes in at the start of the track, when the sound simply turns to distortion (this happens on every system, and every media I've ever heard it on).

That's just one example, I could go on but as this has turned out to be a quite pro Oasis thread (nothing wrong with that) I'll keep my opinions to myself ;) It all comes down to what gets to you in the end, what winds one person up may not bother another.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2004
    RDD, Feb 18, 2004
  2. The Devil

MO! MOnkey`ead!

vOOdOO, I'm not sure what day it was. I'd thought they only done one date in Loch Lomand. We had the manic's and black grape as support, so must have been a different day to when you went. We were quite close to the front, well to the front of where joe public could get. There was a fence and a huge OTT area for media types, guest list`eads, etc etc. The bottle fight was pretty scary and people were getting pelted all around us.

I think there was some piss taking of Chris Evans who was in the audience and had recently had a fall out with them. "OI YA GINGER C#%T" or something along them lines.

Was a nice toasty day too :) And had a festival vibe rather than just a concert.

One of the highlights was the erm......... lowlight :D The generators which were powering the lights which were in the woods you have to walk through to get to the site failed! Tens of thousands of drunken Oasis fans lost in the pitch black woods! :lol: Then burst into song with "always look on the bright side of life"

We ended up missing our coach back to Glasgow and having to get my dad to come pick us up, which he was happy about :D Me some "interesting" people while waiting though ;)

MO!, Feb 18, 2004
  3. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

...the sound simply turns to distortion...

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's 'badly-recorded' at all.

Have you heard The Black Keys or the White Stripes? Loads of lovely well-recorded distortion from their amplifiers. Gives it that 'live' feel.

The Devil, Feb 18, 2004
  4. The Devil

greeny

First album is definately their best. And at last someone has mentioned Columbia, this is a stunning track and my favourite by Oasis.

Strangely (Strange in that I seem to be alone in this) I like Be Here Now more than What's the story.

The last two whilst being OK have rarely found their way onto the system since release.

greeny, Feb 19, 2004
  5. The Devil

Fireman Sam

VOODOO,

A man of taste! All excellent albums mate. Have you heard "Dogg Food" by Tha Dogg Pound? That's brill as well...

I still think Doggy Style is the best tho.

FS

**EDIT**

Best Oasis track has got to be "Masterplan". It's a classic song from a rather mediocre band.

Fireman Sam, Feb 20, 2004
  6. The Devil

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So do I :) 'Story is patchy and messy, be here now is a little more mediocre, but maintains a nice quality all the way through, and is certainly better than the good and bad of 'Story averaged together.

Plus, Be Here Now wasn't worn out to destruction UNLIKE 'Story (along with Alannis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill) on radio/TV/our uni hall bar/student union/funerals/outer space/everywhere else) :)

domfjbrown, Feb 20, 2004
  7. The Devil

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Oh I don't know. It seemed you couldn't escape the hype before it's release, All Around The World, D'You Know What I Mean? and Stand By Me were played to death for a good 2-3 months each around the time of their release, and then quite a lot for the year or two after... that said, I don't rush to kill the radio as quickly as I did when Wonderwall came on at lunchtime.

ilockyer, Feb 20, 2004
Ask a Question