deq 2496 query...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mr cat

zanash

now mines set I leave it ...other than to switch the bypass in and out at various times if I'm comparing kit or cables.

zanash, Oct 12, 2006
  2. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

when using the RTA - it will listen to the ambient noise then produce pink noise [if you don't hear anything turn up the deq's volume] -

how do you actually turn up the volume on the deq so that it can hear the pink noise?

cheers

mr cat, Oct 12, 2006
  3. mr cat

Stuart

There is a function called 'Noise Gain', IIRC it will be in the RTA menu when you're in the Auto EQ function. This will allow you to max out the pink noise.

Stuart, Oct 12, 2006
  4. mr cat

cheers - think I've tried that (tho, can't think what I had it on...) - also, the volume of my amp was about 9 o'clock...

could it be the actual setting of the mic (I/O section?) - tho, prior to doing the actual autoeq the mic does pic up sounds...

these are the actual instructions that I've got -
    "press rta, set to page 1
    set l&r to individual channels
    press autoeq and go to page 2 set L channel
    start auto eq
    it will listen to the ambient noise then produce pink noise [if you don't hear anything turn up the deq's volume]
    if the level is too low it will tell you ....adjust using deq vol control and amp volume.
    you will need to set it going again....."

cheers

mr cat, Oct 12, 2006
  5. mr cat

zanash

The big knob will act like a volume control [I'm writing this from memory !] and increase the volume of pink noise ...

are you getting any ?

you may need to turn the amp volume up more ....

zanash, Oct 12, 2006
  6. mr cat

cheers - will try this when I get home..!

mr cat, Oct 12, 2006
  7. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Erm... RTFM - http://www.behringerdownload.de/DEQ2496/DEQ2496_ENG_Rev_B.zip

Otherwise this is what I do -

1)Press 'RTA'
    2)Press 'AutoEQ'
    3)Set the target curve. Use the top small knob to select different frequencies then push the big knob to activate / deactivate them. Activate from 20Hz -300Hz flat and deactivate from 300Hz upwards.
    4)Press 'Page'.
    5)Set the noise gain to 0dB using the big knob.
    6)Set 'AutoEQ' to fast using the lower small knob.
    7)Activate 'Room correction' with the 'B' button lower left of the screen.
    8)Press 'Start AutoEQ'
    9)After it is done, go to the GEQ page and undo any stupidly excessive EQ settings.

I wouldn't recommend doing the left and right channels separately because you want to see how the speakers interact in the room TOGETHER.

Tenson, Oct 12, 2006
  8. mr cat

Stuart

Yep, on both pages 2 & 3 of the AEQ menu (enter from the RTA menu) you can use the big knob to adjust the noise level - set it to 0 then use the volume control on you amp to set the overall level.

From your quote above, it looks like you are trying to use the Deq in Dual Mono mode. If I may, I'd suggest that whilst you're learning how to drive this box of tricks it will probably be easier to use it in Stereo Link mode (set from page 1 of the Utility menu). This will apply your changes to both channels equally. Once you are confident using the Deq then try it in Dual Mono.

FWIW, I prefer to use the unit in Stereo Link as it gives a better result in my room outside of the sweet spot.

Stuart

Stuart, Oct 12, 2006
  9. mr cat

thanks guys....all noted - but i am a total beginner with this device... ;)

mr cat, Oct 12, 2006
  10. mr cat

zanash

Interesting as my results were the opposite !! must be a room thing !

zanash, Oct 12, 2006
  11. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

By the way, the reason I said not to use EQ above about 250Hz-300Hz is because the peaks and dips in that reason will start to be pretty small and closely spaced. The DEQ, having limited measurement resolution, can see a very sharp dip as something which is much wider and try to fill it in, when really it is not a wise thing to do, and vice versa.

If you are using an external measuring system like ETF then you can use EQ above 300Hz but I would still only suggest adjusting the general trend of things, don't work on any sharp peaks or dips.

Tenson, Oct 12, 2006
  12. mr cat

Stuart

Pete - yeah, probably a room thing as my room is L shaped

Tenson - thanks, I may get curious over the weekend and have another play with the EQ, perhaps try to knock up an impressionistic EQ curve listen to the result for a bit. Could be interesting as I've been very happy with the results of the Deq's EQ efforts.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 13, 2006
  13. mr cat

Hmm...I tried what you said last night but I'm still getting the error message about the deq volume being too low when the pinl noise is being played...

I have turned up the volume of both the amp and the noise gain is set to 0db - I have tried other various settings...

I'm sure it's somehing silly tho...
    but prior to me setting the auto eq the mic does pic up sounds from the room. as for the analyser input signal (on the RTA page 1)- I have this set to RTA IN (mic/line)...

anything else.?

cheers

mr cat, Oct 13, 2006
  14. mr cat

Stuart

I take it that you are getting the horrible pink noise played through your 'speakers, but the thingy wants it louder? Have you got the mic set up as per the instruction manual?

Stuart, Oct 13, 2006
  15. mr cat

hi stuart - I don[t really get the pink noise - but when I turn the amp up to about 3 o'clock there is a hissing / crackling noise - but I'm not sure if thats just down to the fact that the volume is so high... but as mentioned above - before I start the auto eq the mic does pick up sounds from the room anyway - it's just when I start the auto eq and the it's not able to hear to pink noise... :(

mr cat, Oct 13, 2006
  16. mr cat

Stuart

OK sounds as though the DEQ is not outputting the pink noise (it's hard to miss when working). It may be worth while using the analogue output of the Deq into your amp rather than digi out to the DAC then to the amp. Hooking up like this ought to be fine for the room correction stuff, you can revert to digi out to DAC once the correction is complete.

IIRC one of the guys on PFM had a problem similar to this where the pink noise didn't generate via the DAC. Can't recall the solution (possibly was to use analogue out) so it may be worth while reading the Deq thread on PFM, should still be hanging around the Audio room there somewhere.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 13, 2006
  17. mr cat

mr cat, Oct 13, 2006
  18. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Check that the digital input/output is set to S-PDIF rather than AES/EBU or the other way around in the I/O menu. It might be the trick, but I don't really know.

Also check that the digital output of the DEQ is set to take its feed after the GEQ and Para EQ sections (and the other bits if you want), again in the I/O menu.

Tenson, Oct 13, 2006
  19. mr cat

Stuart

Mr Cat - yes, that's the thread. The info I think you need is in post 61, top of page 5. Looks like setting the input of the DEQ to analogue (not the output as I suggested above) when using the auto eq stuff sorts the problem. Switch the input back to digi. when done.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 13, 2006
  20. mr cat

thanks for all you help guys - seems that the problems I had was - not having a male xlr - rca cable, an incorrect I/O settingas outlined in the above pink fish media forum and not having my stereo amp turned up loud enough (discovered that last night!) - the the volume I initially had it at wasn't that much below the required limit...

just playing with it now - tho the sound is slightly less agressive...not entirely sure thats a good thing!

mr cat, Oct 22, 2006
Ask a Question