deq 2496 query...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mr cat

zanash

I did two rooms yesterday ...both jumped into life with a bit of gentle deqing

zanash, Oct 22, 2006
  2. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

...and are you EQing above 300Hz?

Tenson, Oct 22, 2006
  3. mr cat

Jimbo

Yes one was mine. Been playing with my new toy and you can certainly can get some interesting results. Glad i found the gain control to stop clipping.
    Wish i could have it on my Knee though as its hard to hear the changes away from where your sitting. Jim.

Jimbo, Oct 22, 2006
  4. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

erm, I'll have to check this tonight - tho, I did cover the full range...but i thought this only went to 20khz?

cheers

mr cat, Oct 23, 2006
  5. mr cat

bemcsa

Mine was the other and it did help a lot. The fact that it can work as a acoustic band aid proves that there are room issues and gives an idea of what the system can sound like when the issues are addressed. By using the deq as a tool and with some experimentation, it may be possible to improve the room sufficiently so that the deq can be switched off - at least that is what I am hoping.

bemcsa, Oct 23, 2006
  6. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

300Hz, not 300KHz!

You only really want to let it EQ from as low as your speakers go (say 30Hz?) up to about 300Hz. Above 300Hz it will just make a mess of things and take away the character of your system.

Tenson, Oct 23, 2006
  7. mr cat

ah - cheers for that - but to confirm - is this for the auto-eq..?

or for the deq(?) afterwards..? :rolleyes:
    just when I did the auto-eq I covered the full range...
    my speakers go down to about 40hz - but I've also got my sub connected via speaker level too...

mr cat, Oct 23, 2006
  8. mr cat

zanash

Once you get some furniture in that will help .....but I agree its a tool and if you can get it out the system that will be the best.

zanash, Oct 23, 2006
  9. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

AutoEQ is DEQ. Its all EQ. Even TACT 'room correction' is EQ. Its all just different names.

When you do any EQ on your system don't use it above 300Hz.

Tenson, Oct 23, 2006
  10. mr cat

ok - cheers - will give that a go possibly tonight - been on call for the last week and my body's crying out for some booze... :D

mr cat, Oct 23, 2006
  11. mr cat

Stuart

Well, no, can't go along with that. I get where you are coming from with this but it really depends on the system in question and what you are trying to achieve. That said, you may wish to finesse the auto EQ result a bit to taste.

Mr Cat, is there a specific issue that you are trying to use the DEQ to address, or are you simply trying to discover what's possible at this stage?

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 23, 2006
  12. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

It is definitely the best place to start, even more so if using AutoEQ. Besides, if you have issues above 300Hz you should really be addressing them in other ways for the best results.

Tenson, Oct 23, 2006
  13. mr cat

hi,
    at the moment I'm just seeing what I can achieve with this...heard a lot about it (some good, some bad) - so I thought I would give it a whirl...but I think it'll take some getting used to... :D

mr cat, Oct 23, 2006
  14. mr cat

zanash

unless like the room at chris's the treble had tailed off by 15khz and was none existant at 20khz.....but in general I do agree

zanash, Oct 23, 2006
  15. mr cat

Tenson Moderator

Are you sure that was not the microphone, angle and/or comb-filtering? Did it sound alright despite what the DEQ saying there was no treble?

Tenson, Oct 23, 2006
  16. mr cat

Stuart

Mr Cat - If you want to find out what you can do, this article by Thorsten is a good place to start http://www.prijsindex.net/tmp/room acoustics and eq.html. Should give you some ideas to be going on with.

Once you've got the hang of driving it, try a few differnent things out and see how your system responds. Keep in mind that pretty much whenever you change it, your imediate reaction will likely be that it sounds wrong. It is just different and you need to listen for a little while to get used to what its doing. Quick judgements will mess you about with this thing.

Stuart.

Stuart, Oct 24, 2006
Ask a Question