Ditch AV and return to stereo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Matt F

joel Shaman of Signals

Ah yes, the sign of quality amplification :)
    One thing about the mono button, though, is that (apparently) you really need a mono cart to hear the difference. My next TT (whatever it may end up being) will have to have either interchangable arm wands or two arms...
    Got to go, just got back from a Blue Note vinyl sale at my local record shop with two very heavy bags of swag :D

joel, Jul 10, 2004
  2. Matt F

Saab

I have a mono button,didn't know why I had it,so thanks for that,although I don't have any old recordings to enjoy it

Saab, Jul 10, 2004
  3. Matt F

lowrider Live music is surround

All AVs have mono too, plus stereo, several surround modes, etc... :p

lowrider, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Matt F

merlin

And when you press it Antonio, which of it's myriad of loudspeakers does it reroute the digitised signal to?

merlin, Jul 10, 2004
  5. Matt F

To the proper ones, mono to the center speaker, as it should, what does your big Mac do, right or left... :confused:

lowrider, Jul 10, 2004
  6. Matt F

merlin

Ah so you listen through a compromised loudspeaker dumped under your telly do you :confused:

merlin, Jul 10, 2004
  7. Matt F

joel Shaman of Signals

Yeah, you need to listen to Mono through proper speakers rather than compromised units. And it isn't necessary to have only one: two or more are fine, just as they were in the cinemas of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. JUst make sure they are good speakers...
    But frankly, unless you have real mono software (vinyl, effectively), it's impossible to "get" mono.
    Talking of cinema systems, certain HT fans on here seemingly haven't heard movie soundtracks through Voice of the Theatre or Westrex systems. Let's just say that it gives a slightly different perspective on sound and vision.

joel, Jul 10, 2004
  8. Matt F

Hey, that was the speaker you recommended... :rolleyes:

It still is more mono than what you get... :p

lowrider, Jul 10, 2004
  9. Matt F

joel Shaman of Signals

Repeating one last time:Mono is not about the number of speakers :rolleyes:

joel, Jul 10, 2004
  10. Matt F

merlin

That was my point Joel :)

An AV processor plays mono through a poorly positioned centre speaker, whereas if using a single speaker is the only option (which of course it should not be), then nothing less than a Klipschhorn will do :D

merlin, Jul 10, 2004
  11. Matt F

technobear Ursine Audiophile

All of which is very interesting but not really helping Matt to choose some kit :rolleyes:

The Arcam CD192 has been playing for 24 hours now. Just finished listening to Black Sabbath : Sabotage. In a word, WOW! If that's what it can do after only 24 hours, I'm looking forward to Monday :D This is one seriously good CD player. Superb air and stage, good imaging, very smooth (but in the right kind of way - i.e. no added distortion and doesn't take the edge off of rock when it's meant to be there), very fast and articulate, amazing detail. I'm hearing a fair bit that I hadn't noticed before. I can play it very loud without distressing my ears - always a good sign. I think the Alpha 9 might be in serious trouble here but I won't compare them until Monday.

technobear, Jul 10, 2004
  12. Matt F

Matt F

Interesting stuff Chris - I will consider it. I'm still hugely attracted to the Quad CD-P with it's built in pre-amp though - that and a 909 power.... then there's a pair of ex-dem Dynaudio Contour 1.8's that I've seen - no stop it - that's too much money (even though I've always craved a pair of 1.8's.

Anyway - the main point is - I'VE SOLD THE TAG - so we are in business - more stuff to be sold of course but the ball is rolling.

Maybe, being more sensible, the Quad 99 CD-P, the 99 power and a pair of Quad 21L speakers?

On the speaker side I'm going to have to used them fairly close to the rear wall which is going to be an issue with rear ported speakers. Never simple is it.

Oh and on this mono malarky - presumably there's nothing wrong with a 1.1 sub/sat set up (assuming you don't mind digitising the signal)?

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 10, 2004
  13. Matt F

merlin

Matt, Central have a pair of s/h Dynaudio 2.8's, used to belong to a friend of mine. They really are a VERY good speaker, and utilise the Esotar tweeter. Need some driving though!

merlin, Jul 10, 2004
  14. Matt F

Matt F

Price looks good but I can't find anything on them - Dynaudio's website only lists the Contour 1.1, 1.3, 1.8, 3.0, and 3.3.

Are the 2.8's really old or something?

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 10, 2004
  15. Matt F

merlin

Not really old, indeed they ran concurrently with the 1.8 and 3.3 for a short time before being replaced by the inferior IMO 3.0.

My guess would be five years old, so barely run in in speaker terms. Don't let anyone tell you that new speakers are better - the opposite is often the case.

The 2.8 differs from the 3.0 , 3.3, and particularly the 1.8 in offering a more neutral, better controlled performance with tighter bass and more treble refinement & dynamics. A more accurate speaker if you like, similar in size to the 1.8.

Not ported, they use two 8" drivers, with one acting as a passive radiator. The Esotar tweeter is still probably the world's finest, and was also seen on the Confidence 3 & 5 along with such exotica as the Sonus Faber Extrema and Eggleston Works Andra. The 2.8 sensitivity was 86dbw I think and, like all Dyns, was a 4 ohm load, hence the need for some grunt.

Not bad for around a grand!

merlin, Jul 10, 2004
  16. Matt F

penance Arrogant Cock

Contour 1.1 with stands, £550 and in the same city;)

penance, Jul 11, 2004
  17. Matt F

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Wht not import a Belcanto power amp from Audiogon?
    A CDP with a volume control (of your choice)
    ...and you wouldnt have to worry about the sensitivity of the speakers, you'd have megawatts! :)

I guess what Im saying is that (and I know you know all this anyway!!).. I think the Quad pwr amp might be a limiting factor with a pair of Dyns. They are famous for needing driving, but Merlin can probably tell you more which ones do and dont!

You could go..

Quad 99 CDP (new/exdem/used)
    Belcanto PWR (used)
    Proac (used) (if thats the speaker you like)

The power and control of those digital amps is something to be heard to be believed IMHO.. (not my cup of tea I like valves..but still..)

NB Here's my dream-valve system for 3.5k..

Used Wadia CDP (1500)
    New Glasshouse 300B amp (1250 built up) http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/300bsesound.html
    Used Living Voice Auditorium (800ish)

I know you didnt ask about valves, but what the hell! :D

Shopping around and thinking about the options is the fun side of all this isnt it?!

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2004
  18. Matt F

Matt F

Interesting comments bottleneck. Not so sure the bigger Quad 909 (140wRMS into 8ohms, 250wRMS into 4 ohms) would struggle with an 86dB 4 ohm load speaker.

A Quad CD-P, 909 power and Dynaudio 2.8's looks an awesome combination but, hey, I was aiming to only spend a couple of grand!

Also the Living Voice Auditoriums have a large rear port so I'm not sure they'd be happy near to the rear wall. Same with the Dynaudio Contour 1.1's I'm afraid penance and I would rather have floorstanders from a neatness point of view.

Don't know how well the Contour 2.8's would work near the rear wall but at least they're not ported.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 11, 2004
  19. Matt F

Matt F

And now I've spotted a pair of B&W CDM7NT on ebay at £335 with a day and a bit to go.

Oh decisions, decisions.

Matt.

Matt F, Jul 11, 2004
  20. Matt F

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Yup, the LVs are rear ported and need to be 2-3 feet into a room. So probably a no-go!

Power is a thing that you seem to be able to get by the bucketload for not much outlay these days, I know sideshow bob has a sonnateer digital amp that was only 600-700 new, and that kicks out a few hundred per channel I believe....

Hope you get something great anyway!

bottleneck, Jul 12, 2004
Ask a Question