Diy fest 2007

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jul 29, 2007.

1. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

Crescendo is the new top dog in Seas tweeter line up. About £200 vs. £150 for the Millenium. Slightly reworked motor means lower distortion but the same moving parts also mean a very similar sound overall.

If your like domes then these two are near the top of the pile but for me not much beats a ribbon for all those hifi virtue's. The RAAL 140-15d(approx £270) in particular is possibly the best HF driver I've heard or used (so far). Beautiful sound that makes my old Scanspeak R2904-7000 sound like its broke.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 5, 2007
  2. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Sep 5, 2007
  3. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

I haven't heard it in direct comparison with the RAAL but its probably the most well respected dome tweeter around and have heard it on 3 occasions although have never used it in any of my own efforts.

Much always hinges on the design details and partnering drivers that create a loudspeaker. I always enjoy the Millenium when hear it but its not the last word in transparency, naturalness and nor is it as extended at both ends of the frequency range as the RAAL. A great tweeter but there's better.

Regarding RAAL pricing. When I bought my RAAL's at the very beginning of this year they were a steal at £175 each, they're now £270. Alex, who is RAAL, was selling these discounted to get some drivers out there and to also get people talking. RAAL is a relatively new startup and that meant he had to build up build credibility, a reputation and a customer base to spread the word. Its refreshing how he operates - he doesn't advertise, hand builds and tests each driver and treads that very fine line between fellow enthusiast and business man extremely well. His customer service is brilliant also; I panicked after my drivers arrived and I found the ribbons sagging slightly in the magnetic gap(which I later found out was due to air shipping and pressure changes). I emailed him and he offered to ring up and talk me thorough the process of correctly re-tensioning the ribbon foils. I was surprised to say the least considering he's in Serbia but that's the type of service you can expect. He also rings every now and then just to chat about what he's working on and vice versa. No other company would even consider doing that, the fact that his drivers are the best true ribbons around is just the icing on the cake really.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 5, 2007
  4. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

How do they sound?

anon_bb, Sep 7, 2007
  5. zanash

dean.l

did nobody take any pictures? :)

dean.l, Sep 7, 2007
  6. zanash

Dev Moderator

Only the ones on page 1 of this thread as far as we know.

Dev, Sep 7, 2007
  7. zanash

dean.l

yeah I know :)
    I just thought and hoped there would be more :)

dean.l, Sep 7, 2007
  8. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

I had my camera with me the whole time and didn't take a single shot! Forgot all about it and I think it was the same for others. :(

The next meet is being held down south sometime next year so try and make it if your interested.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 7, 2007
  9. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

The RAAL or the Seas?

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 7, 2007
Ask a Question