Does length matter

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MO!

A1000

The point of the Townsend is the termination, this presents the consistent 8ohm load.

The Geortz was always plain terminated to plugs. The length will affect the capacitence of this cable.

Same wet string, very different tin cans.

Unless Geortz now terminate their cable differently since I've been in the badlands?

Does someone out there use the Geortz currently, would love to hear opinion on performance and set up where its successful.

A1000, Dec 22, 2003
  2. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

errrr me!

I use it because it sounds ridiculously great, and it can be had second hand for as cheap as chips.

I got my 3m pair for 100 quid... try getting your Townsend for that lolol.

You can get Goertz with a zobel network attached, but if your amp is stable into different loads then not a lot of point really.

If you want some, Id get the thicker stuff (visit www.alphacore.com for more info), and I'd buy it from www.audiogon.com

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Dec 22, 2003
  3. MO!

A1000

Whats connected?

So, whats hooked up to it then?

and yes, an A1000 has problems with the like of the Geortz and long runs are out with it.

A1000, Dec 22, 2003
  4. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi A1000

If you visit the alphacore site above, they show you how to do a zobel network (it looks easy) to get over the problem.

I use a valve amp and a sensitive pair of speakers and have found the cable to be a firm favorite with all sorts.

IME this type of flat cable can take on all comers below 500 quid, and quite a few above.

YMMV of course..

bottleneck, Dec 22, 2003
  5. MO!

BlueMax

Capacitance can be a problem associated with amplifiers without Zobel output network like Naim's and NVA's.

UTP cables vary in capacitance. So if you need long lengths, ie. over 10 meters, look the UTP spec and choose.

The Belden 1583ENH has a Nom. Cap. (pF/ft) 49.000.

BlueMax, Dec 22, 2003
  6. MO!

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

With Speakers cables usually need to have low resistance & low inductance. Capacitance shouldn't be an issue. The cable acts like a low pass filter with enough band pass that more than covers the required frequency spread.

Cables with their conductors close together will have low inductance. e.g. Goertz has some of the lowest values for inductance.

The downside is that low inductance usually gives high capacitance. High capacitance can make some amps unstable.

To get round this, amps may have Zobel Networks fitted near the output. These will help with stability. These networks also act as RFI blocks for the amp & feedback loop. They contain inductors. Speakers may have Zobel networks in them as well. These help to tame rising impedances that can happen with rising frequencies.

It is true that amps like Naim don't fit Zorbel Networks so they depend on the cable for stability. Naim cable has high inductance. The conductors are spaced apart. This also gives low capacitance.

Most cable are inbetween the Goertz & Naim, trying to aim for lowish inductance & Lowish Capacitance.

Cables like the Nordost has a good go at it. They have wire running in parallel which gives lowish self inductance without too high a capacitance.

The Townshend cable has a network which makes it more suitable with more amps. The low inducatance gives it it's flat response. Also this cable is also cyrogenically treated which alters the structure of the copper which improves it's porperties.

Also cable need to have an insulator surrounding them. The better the quality the less the dielectric absortion of the signal.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't mean much if you don't like how it performs.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 22, 2003
Ask a Question