End of cable debate - snake oil

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Dec 11, 2007.

1. anon_bb

Paul Ranson

For example, an 8 Ohm speaker with a very flat impedance curve. One sensitivity to cable resistance. A 4 Ohm speaker that dips to 2 or less, another sensitivity to cable resistance.

I prefer to be accurate and complete rather than glib and marginal. If you call that 'weaselly' then I think it's not me with the problem.

You've omitted the other parts of the network at the source and sink. Which are also LCR and which vary according to application. It's easy to measure the cumulative effect. As I've explained, and explained, and explained.

Never mind.

I take it that the Naim and the Hitachi sounded the same when you didn't know what you were listening to?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 14, 2007
  2. anon_bb

Paul Ranson

And more to the point, after all this noise, Murray is not suggesting that anything other than LCR is a cause of perceived cable differences. He's on the objectivist side of the debate!

So can we get back to the sound of $8000 cables?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 14, 2007
  3. anon_bb

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i'm still not buying it's all down to LCR..

What about the effects of EMF and RF within the gear itself as injected by the cables, what effects does this have on the signal potentially.

we need to measure the cables and what they are attached to, so at CD output and speaker terminals, to consider the system as a whole. then we can rule out combined cable hardware effects such as RF and EMF inecjtion and modulation within the gear.

sq225917, Dec 15, 2007
  4. anon_bb

murray johnson

neither am I sq.

murray johnson, Dec 15, 2007
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Interesting for sure but not necessarily correct!

anon_bb, Dec 15, 2007
  6. anon_bb

Paul Ranson

So after taking us interminably round the houses and under several bridges we can get to the nub. Which is that some people, including Murray and 'sq', believe that there is something going on with audio cables other than aberrations explicable by conventional physics. Which is where we came in with the Randi challenge.

So is anybody else going to step up to the plate now Fremer has ducked?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Dec 16, 2007
  7. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I found this video on You Tube.

The video is of James Randi looking into the world of Uri Geller.

It's fascinating stuff, and reccomended viewing (IMO) for anyone following this thread.

Enjoy

bottleneck, Dec 16, 2007
  8. anon_bb

ShinOBIWAN

Great link bottleneck, easily the best post in this thread by a huge margin.

To anyone outside of high end audio, the cable story is completely alien and the prices insulting. These are sane, rational, well educated people with hearing that works as well as anyone else's. The only real difference is that they are open minded because they have no preconceived notions.

The cable industry is one big fraud to us. On the other hand Uri makes millions, people realise he's a fraud yet some still enjoy it. The story on cables and their manufacturers isn't a million miles off.

ShinOBIWAN, Dec 16, 2007
  9. anon_bb

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i'm with shin hear, they are worth no more than the bill of materials and a suitable margin.

not the 1000's they charge with similar margins in the 1000's%

they can sound different, but not that different. and certainly not a component upgrade different.

sq225917, Dec 16, 2007
Ask a Question