Finally decided to jump on the LCD bandwagon

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Feb 13, 2006.

1. PBirkett

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Depends what you're doing... I find for CAD (pcb layout, etc) then LCD is very much superior because all colours are blocks of simple colours, and the geometry and stability are big pluses (but the lack of resolution is a definite minus). For photo work, games and DVD then CRT's better colour, contrast and movement is the better. For general desk applications, assuming you have a decent graphics card with good stability, etc, then there's nothing to chose between them in image (although at 3200x1200, I'd miss the resolution). For what I do at work a big LCD would be ideal, for what I do at home my CRTs are optimum.

I-S, Feb 15, 2006
  2. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Strangely enough, disregarding the accuracy argument with photos for a minute, I've been looking at some photos tonight, and I have to say I do prefer them on the LCD.... they just seem more vivid and detailed, and some even almost look 3D. It might not be strictly accurate, but its pleasing on the eye! (hifi analogy anyone?)

PBirkett, Feb 15, 2006
  3. PBirkett

Dev Moderator

I agree Paul. I recently bought a 19" monitor and the picture quality is just amazing IMO compared to the 19" CRT I had before.

Dev, Feb 15, 2006
  4. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I am considering sending back (i've already emailed them).

First off the monitor was used. I woul dhave put with that, but i notice that the white colour is not completely uniform - basically it seems as though the monitor is a bit more sensitive than it should be to viewing angles, and thus, some white bits especially near the edge seems to be slightly darker.

I've looked at some even older LCD monitors at work and they dont seem to exhibit this effect... what do you think?

PBirkett, Feb 16, 2006
  5. PBirkett

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I think if you pay cheap you get cheap.

I know I sound a **** Paul but its a fact, LCDs at a couple of hundred quid don't always have the best quality, contrary to popular belief the panel is not the end of the story, back light and bleed through are also an issue.

garyi, Feb 16, 2006
  6. PBirkett

Will The Lucky One

Samsung are generally damn good as far as TFT monitors go though garyi, admittedly its not their highest end model, but its not an ultra cheapo Xiod/Belinea item either....but I'd send it back as being clearly used, regardless of anyfault!

If I wanted a second hand/used/open monitor I'd expect to be paying used prices, not full whack as you have done Paul.

Will, Feb 16, 2006
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

A work mate recommended it, he has personally seen one and said it was good. It also used to be a 350 quid model, so it shouldnt be that crap i shouldnt have thought.

PBirkett, Feb 16, 2006
Ask a Question