Firefox 1.0 out Sept 2004

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgt Rock, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Sgt Rock

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I'm fairly certain that's what I tried to do. The problem being that If I configure an account (for say [email protected]), to the BY servers and enter Username: ABCD and Password QWERTY. When I attempt to add a second account, (for say [email protected]), it wont let me enter the same username and password. I searched through the help both within the application and the website and could find no way of having another account with the same username/password. As the mail application appears to only accept one return email address and display name per account it is of no use to me. With BY I can have 3 email aliases per username. Outlook Express allows me to configure several accounts which can all log on with the same username/password on the BY mail server.

GTM

GTM, Jul 15, 2004
  2. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

GTM - I've just tried doing this and you're right, you can't have more than one account on the same POP server with the same username. That makes sense though when I think about it. How else is the server able to distinguish between which e-mail address you want do download for if you don't have different usernames? AFAIK, the POP3 protocol doesn't send the e-mail address when you login, just the username and password.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2004
  3. Sgt Rock

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Paul arn't you the one with the LED lights in his PC?

Don't talk about mac, you don't have even the first clue, you don't know the history and you clearly have never used one, talk about stuff you do know about.

What is that BTW?

garyi, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

LED lights? What PC doesnt have LED lights? I suspect the LED lights you refer to are actually my Vantec fan controller, and truthfully I'd rather they didnt have bright illumination, but I dont know what your point is?

What gives you the idea I dont have the first clue? I'm so sorry if disagreeing that your silly toy computer is the best in every respect is so offending to you. You are a typical Mac owner, ready to shove em down everyones throats.

This forum seems to have a fair few members who think they know everything. You are obviously one of them.

[​IMG] :D

PBirkett, Jul 16, 2004
  5. Sgt Rock

For someone in their twenties Paul, you sound like a petulent teenager.

Say what you like but don't call anyone on this forum a know it all :rolleyes:

garyi, Jul 16, 2004
  6. Sgt Rock

Dev Moderator

Paul, there is no need for personel insults, whatever yours or others views. FWIW, I use Mozilla and IE and haven't experienced any problem with Mozilla at all. Have had IE crash on me a few times.

Dev, Jul 16, 2004
  7. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Just what I was about to say Dev. Paul, your message has been deleted.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 16, 2004
  8. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

OK, fair enough, but if Garyi wants to reply with sneering comments then he can expect it. I'm sure he's a nice enough chap, but it certainly doesnt come across that way when he posts in the forum. Certainly, the few of you I have met have proved to be good lads.

However, some of you guys have never met me, but some of you seem to like to have a snipe whenever they feel like it. Then you complain when I bite back?

Oh well, you can think what you like.

PBirkett, Jul 16, 2004
  9. Sgt Rock

Just consider the way you reply Paul, sometimes you can only expect the replies you recieve.

garyi, Jul 16, 2004
  10. Sgt Rock

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

In a way it makes sense I agree, but BY (and I suspect other ISPs) allow several unique names for each. You define a list email addresses, (of XXXX "prefixes" to the @blueyonder.co.uk) for a username and their system checks the list against the username/password that is logging on and delivers all emails for the addresses in the list to that username.

It's explained here:

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_using_mailbox

GTM

GTM, Jul 16, 2004
  11. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

OK, but then what's the point of having two separate accounts setup in your e-mail client if they're both going to be downloading the same e-mails? Since BY allows you to setup upto 5 mail accounts you and your wife could have separate ones which would (IMHO) make a lot more sense.

The mail aliases feature (which you're using) is a good one (and most ISPs and e-mail providers have it), but you're not using it for it's intended purpose, which is merely so you can give out different e-mail addresses (say, one for friends/family etc and one for web site registrations) and they arrive into the same Inbox in your client. Having separate addresses allows you to do filtering in the client based on which e-mail address the mail was sent to, such as filing all responses to your website subscription address to a separate folder.

If what you want is separate client (eg Outlook Express) accounts, that's what the separate mailboxes feature is for (which will each have a different username). I'm sure that BY will let you move one of your aliases to a new mailbox if that's what you want to do.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 16, 2004
  12. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

A Mars a day helps you work, rest & play but is a Bounty better? :D

auric, Aug 2, 2004
  13. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

fao: sgt rock

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.3

auric, Aug 4, 2004
  14. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

OMG, please don't tell paul ;)

I've been in the pub for a few hours :D

Sgt Rock, Aug 5, 2004
  15. Sgt Rock

thespirit3

OK, I've kinda skim-read most of the previous posts here. So here's my opinion.

Best OS? OSX. Without a doubt. I don't own a mac, I can't afford one. I've used Windows since the 3.1 days, and Linux since the very early days too. Given a choice, I'd buy a mac. It has the best gui, the best underlying architecture (essentially unix - although you'd never know it) and ... well it just rocks. The whole OS fits together wonderfully, and it's a complete joy to use.

As I can't afford a mac, I use a mixture of Linux and Windows XP. Any machines I want to do serious work on run Linux, and when I just want an easy life I run XP. Sometime's that not correct - as every now and again XP needs to be reinstalled - but generally, it's a good "get home from work, remove brain, read email and surf the interweb like a drooling zombie" OS. It's not the most efficient OS, it's poorly engineered, the GUI is still 10 years out of date (albeit with fischerprice themes to 'pretty it up') ... and well, if you've used many other OS's the shortcoming of XP are obvious.

However, each to their own - whatever OS you have most experience with, is probably the OS you'll consider 'the best'. It's like religion - happiness with the familiarity of something, a belief that your beliefs are the best and everything else is inferior. A bit like HIFI too really ;)

As for browsers - I generally use IE or Konqueror (which I believe is built on Mozilla). I have very few problems with both - although Konqueror does occasionally render 'broken' pages as broken. This is more down to poor site design and MS not sticking with standards - but very few sites seem to suffer from poor code nowadays. I'm reading Zero Gain in Konqueror - not problems at all, and it seems faster than IE. I've not yet tried Firefox, but I've been told it's the dogs danglies.

Steve

thespirit3, Aug 5, 2004
  16. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

You've been reliably informed :D btw, agree with most of what you said about OSes.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 5, 2004
  17. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

Just an FYI (mainly for people who also visit dpreview.com) that Phil Askey has recoded the DHTML menus on his site to be cross-browser compatible and they now work beautifully with FireFox :) .

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 26, 2004
  18. Sgt Rock

adam

Why does Mozilla crash all the time?I installed it,quite nice,fast,but crashes everyday,send error report?

Also does it not save like Avant ?

adam, Aug 27, 2004
  19. Sgt Rock

I am back into camino now, firefox just feels to bloody flakey. A bit heath robbins

garyi, Aug 27, 2004
  20. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

adam, are you using Mozilla or FireFox? If you have FireFox crashing every day then something must be wrong with your setup and/or PC. Worst case it should be at least as stable as IE6.

gary, don't know about FireFox on the Mac, but it's totally rock solid on the PC.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 27, 2004
Ask a Question