Firefox 1.0 out Sept 2004

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgt Rock, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Sgt Rock

julian2002 Muper Soderator

all i want is a browser that is stable and can read most web pages. unfortunately i've not found ff to be amazingly stable often bringing my laptop to a point where i need to do a power button reset. this is usually after viewing a pdf (which takes an age to shut down). still using ff but not sure whether to try opera now.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 18, 2004
  2. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

I think the over 149 user selectable Themes and Extensions make Firefox rather user friendly as you only need to add the bits you like. IIRC you can even select an extention to maker the browser act as ie5 (IE View 0.83) quirks and all.

I feel that choices offered to the user of FireFox and Mozilla not only at the application level but at the philosophical level of OpenSource vs propority code are both refreshing and long overdue.

auric, Oct 18, 2004
  3. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Acrobat 6 ?

Sgt Rock, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Sgt Rock

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

If that is the case then surely that extension should be part of the released code for the browser.

At the end of the day I'm just an end user. All I know is that for me IE works and FF doesn't work as well. I'm not really interested in why, just that it doesn't.

To be honest it's the graphics treatment that puts me off the most. I like pretty much everything else about the browser, (although I think the icon handling on the menus is a touch crude). Overall these things add up to just lend to a feeling of slight clunkyness. The browser certainly doesn't have enough of a performance advantage over IE for me to forgive it its (minor) sins.

Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to not use IE, but FF just isn't good enough. Yet. Maybe when it get's to version 1.2 or 1.3 it will be, only time will tell.

GTM

GTM, Oct 18, 2004
  5. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

GTM, I feel I can't agree with you about the IE8 or any extention being included with the base release of FireFox in as much as including something in the base code makes assumptions about the functionality, look and feel of the browser that may be acceptable for some but not to other users. Now the idea of a library containing user selectable extentions plus another containing themes fits rather well with the "pick and mix" attude that allows one to arrive at something that fits or almost fits their need at the time. By allowing users to add and discard extentions and themes at any time gives a product that can be optomised for many differing needs and requirements.

I too am looking forward to the next incarnation of FireFox.

auric, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

There certainly were issues with FF and Acrobat 6 causing crashes when opening PDF files. It was actually an Acrobat bug, but no doubt many people chalked up another "Firefox crash" :rolleyes: .

The latest version of Acrobat 6 from Adobe solves the problem.

IME if FF is unstable, it's usually caused by something else. FF is more stable than IE. There's not much in it though. When I used IE6 it used to crash on me perhaps once a week or so whereas I haven't had a single crash yet with FF.

Paul, yes, FF is to IE what a Mac is to a PC...with none of the disadvantages :)

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 18, 2004
  7. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

But it does have disadvantages. Myself and GTM have already stated what they are. If you think its perfect, then you are kidding yourself chap ;)

PBirkett, Oct 18, 2004
  8. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

Has anyone written addons, extentions, strapons for Firefox that can be used in the real commercial world? I ask because a few have and might be making a bit of cash from their labours (Half way down page 2).

auric, Oct 20, 2004
Ask a Question