help, been unfaithful to HOBBY

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Sep 5, 2005.

1. julian2002

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I wish I'd had a full-face helmet a few months back when I face planted at 30mph having mis-judged a table-top... At least only my nose was broken :eek:
    Now I've decided I'm too old for jumping, so I'll stick with my lovely new (the old one got broken in my crash!) Giro E2
    [​IMG]

leonard smalls, Aug 9, 2006
  2. julian2002

greg Its a G thing

I can tell you apart from bunny hopping over logs and little bits I don't do anything radical any more - the reason being I learnt my lesson through injuries.

The contrast between that testosterone filled, pre-jump thought of "oh yes here we go, this time let's try for a clear 6 feet of air our of the lip" and that post jump highly paniced feeling of vulnerability "oh **** I think I've broken my leg, I can't get home, I'll be in plaster for 8 weeks and I'm in total agony" is hard to emphasise to someone who hasn't experienced the before and after.

One of my close friends (we're all now around 35) conveniently forgot his lesson and started messing about on jumps on his full suss MTB, then he landed one time and virtually impaled himself on his bars - suffered a hernia and was off his bike for nearly three months. There comes a time when you just think it's not worth the chance of failure.

greg, Aug 9, 2006
  3. julian2002

Anex Thermionic

I'd much rather my back wheel blew up when I landed than the handle bars snapping. That hurts. I speak from experience.

Anex, Aug 9, 2006
  4. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

well in an awesome demonstration of synchronisity i stacked my bike tonight - no damage to the bike - thank feck but a nice sprained thumb and gashed knee and elbow - my mate came off a bit worse than i did with some lovely road rash on his knee. (he took a corner too wide and our handle bars tangled up - boom over we went) comedy moment was me looking at the dripping blood and realising i was missing a shoe.
    no head injuries though - was wearing one of them helmet things you see.....

i'm 37 - look younger - would be immodest to say how young and act like a teenager (when appropriate). enjoying an early mid life crisis very much ta.

julian2002, Aug 9, 2006
  5. julian2002

KUB3 ciao

I was discussing this the other day. Is it better to come off on the road, where it's hard but your not very high up. Or is it preferable to stack it on softer mud, but potentially from a great height. Nice choice to have.

My mate removed a great gouged chunk from his elbow the other day. Today it looks like a black pizza. A badge of honour.

KUB3, Aug 9, 2006
  6. julian2002

greg Its a G thing

Well tarmac is bad stuff if you come off at speed due to its tendency to grip your flesh.

The thing that gives me jitters are tyre ruts when it's below freezing.

The ground is really hard and slippy and getting my front wheel in a deep rut going down a hill whilst clipped in freaks me out. I've come off a few times in these conditions and only really hurt my hand trying to break my fall, but for some reason it gets me tense.

greg, Aug 9, 2006
  7. julian2002

KUB3 ciao

In those conditions I find it best to trundle on rollers in front of my hifi / plasma. :D

KUB3, Aug 9, 2006
  8. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

oh ****.

are you both ok?

bottleneck, Aug 9, 2006
  9. julian2002

greg Its a G thing

Bloody lightweight :D

greg, Aug 10, 2006
  10. julian2002

KUB3 ciao

What's the best MTB forum, for UK riders?! Any of you on there? Thanks...

KUB3, Aug 10, 2006
  11. julian2002

greg Its a G thing

Btw I meant to ask what the bloody hell happened to the dude with the missing face?

Did he live?

greg, Aug 10, 2006
  12. julian2002

KUB3 ciao

Tinternet alledges he crashed a motorbike. Real version is he bit down on an explosive cap. As you do. Bosh - no face left. Still alive and well. Ok, not well, but alive and scaring people. :eek:

KUB3, Aug 10, 2006
  13. julian2002

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

If you're 14 and into jumping, and tipe lk ths then www.mbuk.com/
    If you're a little more adult, www.singletrackworld.com/forum

leonard smalls, Aug 13, 2006
Ask a Question