How much have forums influenced what equipment you've bought?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, May 11, 2004.

1. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Hi Dev I wasn't trying to sound like a pretentious know it all I was in similar position to you had xa-1 and xray running rev r3's when I added xa-50's I got more grip etc just like you and Miss Dev Junior, I ran with this quite happily for 4-5 years, but when demo'ing Xa50's for a potential buyerI just whacked them in in plave of my poweramp, it was then I gained a new respect for 50's the grunt grip and spaciousness with my pre running the art expressions well I was very pleasantly surprised and have a whole new respect for them, It was as if they were keeping pace with the xa1 when they were quite capable of more, now your 200's and D700's are of a higher quality than my 50's and beleive that your xa2 may be holding back 200's, beg borrow or steal a pre possibly valve as with arcam cd, valve pre, xa200 and tannoys I think the music would really flow, and for very little outlay. Those 200's have enough grunt to rally grab those tannoys and make them sing. I wish I lived nearer as wouldbring over my pre to let you experiment. There you go sound like a pretentios know it all again.

Cheers
    Paul

Incidentally are there any out there in Scotland fancy getting together for a bake off one weekend?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
    analoguekid, May 16, 2004
  2. tones

Dev Moderator

I think you may have something there Paul. I'd like to try a better quality pre-amp. I don't know why I prefer the setup as it is. I.e. is it due to biamping or different cables? etc. Certainly biamping gave me the option to use different cables for bass/treble but I should be able to try a better pre and X-A200s a lot sooner than I originally thought. The reason being I blew the amp I had connected to my PC over the weekend:mad: I don't think it makes economical sense to repair it. I thought about putting my XA/2 on the PC and getting a better pre. However, I'm in no rush. My daughter is suffering far more than I am at the moment because of the blown amp.:devil:

Dev, May 17, 2004
  3. tones

analoguekid Planet Rush

Xa-2 on Pc Wow, toffs are careless.

try running with jsut the pre outs of xa2 and use 200 single wored with jumpers should give you an idea, although saying that don't think the pre in the xa2 is it's strongest point., if you know what I mean. |I really would be interested to see how you get on, Xas pres are up for sale all the time and at least would keep the MFsound you like. Although I would try a valve pre as well.

Good luck.

Ps don't listen to them I don't think you are missing anything with MF sound some like it some don't but 200 are superb power amps and were underpriced when originally on sale IMO they still sell for similar money now I considered getting them instead of 50's and am wishing I had now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2004
    analoguekid, May 17, 2004
Ask a Question