how much??!! (Rogers LS3/5A)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, May 3, 2004.

1. Saab

tones compulsive cantater

With that I have no dispute, which is why I've always had a subwoofer with them. With the latest one (a Linn Sizmik 10.25), they sound better than they've ever done. My beloved Monteverdi Vespers have never sounded so good before. It's not quite like actually being in San Marco, but it isn't half-bad either.

tones, May 5, 2004
  2. Saab

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The standard commercially available LS3/5a's didn't come with thin wall ply construction. It was considered too expensive.

Having heard BBC 001 & 002, which are not thin wall vs some thin wall, I would say the matching of the drivers and crossovers has more effect than the cabinet. Or maybe they just need 30 years of running in :D

Some manufacturers made signature or reference versions with thin wall (Kef and Harbeth for instance). It is possible to buy reference cabinets from Stirling Broadcast who can also supply all the parts.

The clones were made using a pair of Chartwell LS3/5a's as reference and with the help of a couple of members of the mailing list for listening sessions. They knew they could compete so made them off spec, but kept to the same size.

Coming from you James that is almost a compliment ;)

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
  3. Saab

joel Shaman of Signals

I knew they didn't do lossy joints on production LS3/5s for cost reasons, but I didn't know about the thin wall. In any case, where does the weight and that bass come from. Are they ported?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2004
    joel, May 5, 2004
  4. Saab

Joel

In all honesty I don't know. I believe they've used a driver with a huge magnet a la Dynaudio, so maybe that might account for it.

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
  5. Saab

MartinC Trainee tea boy

There's an article on exactly that in June's HiFi News actually, but to paraphase massively none of the current similar designs are as good as the original.

MartinC, May 5, 2004
  6. Saab

LiloLee, May 5, 2004
Ask a Question