How to improve center channel intelligibility

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Johns Naim, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Johns Naim

Matt F

I'd set it by the meter and then leave it at that - I'd suggest the meter is far more accurate at measuring levels than the old lugholes.

Matt.

Matt F, Mar 23, 2004
  2. Johns Naim

jay

I'd agree in principle. In my experience a couple of small tweaks, usually to the rears or subby can make a huge difference.

Jay

jay, Mar 23, 2004
  3. Johns Naim

Johns Naim

Greetings All

Jay said

Sadly for me, my dealer only stocks 'high quality' = $$$sive speakers, namely Ruark that could be considered a match for SBL's. Different sound, but only a little cheaper than the Naim Access....... *sigh*

As always though I very much appreciate yours, and everyone elses input, and it's great to find folks here with experience and expertise, including some Naim owners (!) more than willing to look at different ideas and ways of doing things.

In principal, I agree totally with the matched center, for panning/tonal balance etc. My main concern though is that I am hoping a center speaker specifically will improve the intelligibiliy of dialogue, which appears to be the case from comments being made.

However, cost, re the Naim Access as I've mentioned, and the perceived limitations of my main 2 channel speakers (SBL's) re soundstaging for HT duties is causing some angst, as it's an area I'd like to improve upon as well.

To be sure, as I mentioned earlier, If, like many, I could crystal ball gaze, and knew that 2 channel will ultimately give way to multi-channel music, then the best way forward would be to add-on to my Naim system with matching Naim speakers and amps all around, and their own AV processor as well.

However, multi-channel music appears to be a long way off from becoming mainstream, if ever, and to go that way with equivalent quality items, would mean outlaying more than twice what I already have invested in my system, a move I could not contemplate at the present time.

In the interim, I could leave as is, and wait to see how things pan out re SACD/DVD-A before shelling out large amounts of money, or, try and separate the two sytems.

As it stands, I have some Sony ES equipment (ducks and runs for cover:D - second worst sin to owning Naim it appears in some places, is owning Sony:D ) 'integrated' with the Naim 2 channel, i.e. DVD player, AV processor, and amp driving just the rears at present, but as the amp is multi-mode, it can drive a center as well, or if need be, all five channels.

i could easily add on to my existing Tannoy rears, with matching center, AND left and right mains, thus separating it from the Naim totally, and having it as a separate system.

As I mentioned earlier, re being between a rock and a hard place, whilst this solution appeals greatly, I only have one room currently at my disposal; hence this would mean two sets of speakers at the front of the room, - SBL's & Tannoys. From an aesthetic point of view this doesn't worry me, however I would think two sets of speakers so close to each other would be most likely to compromise the sound of both, re standing waves, reflections etc.

I say think, because I've never tried this. It MIGHT work, but I have not heard any comment from anyone who may have tried this move.

Any thoughts anyone ? If trying to separate the 2 ch & AV and run them as two separate systems, but in the same room is an insane/stupid/ blah, blah, blah idea etc, please say so. On the other hand, could it work???

BTW, I DO appreciate all the comments; it's really helpful, thank you.

Best

John... :)

Johns Naim, Mar 23, 2004
  4. Johns Naim

jay

Most definitely IMHO.

The other point I was trying to make was that the centre takes most of the "signal" in HT and the front left and rights kinda "fill" the front soundfield. OK to a degree anyway - the ideal is having them matched tonally. What I'm trying to say, very inelegantly, is that you might find your SBL's work fine in a HT environ with a centre because of this. But again I am taking a wild stab in the dark!

I would loan you my centre to try, but alas, you live in Australia :D

Jay

jay, Mar 23, 2004
  5. Johns Naim

jay

John (and all)

If you're interested in the AV2 :D I've just posted a few comments here....

AV2

Jay

jay, Mar 23, 2004
  6. Johns Naim

lowrider Live music is surround

The problem is that the center speaker not only has to play dialog, but most of the other info too, so a small speaker limits a lot the performance of a system... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Mar 23, 2004
Ask a Question