I have gone and done a penance!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Joolsburger

All sorted a wire had come out of the crossovers and now he's happy as larry still I won't do that again in a hurry...

J

Joolsburger, Oct 27, 2003
  2. Lt Cdr Data

analoguekid Planet Rush

Just reading this today and just had to answer, been into music and hif for years but only recently into this forum thing as only recently on fat pipe.

I have currently MF X-Ray, Xa-1, Xa-50's connected with 2x Chord Chameleon 2 I/C's and QED profile 4X4 S/c connected to PMC FB1's, dull is not the first word anyone who has heard this setup, thinks of, some poor recordings will even take the paint off walls at full tilt.

I have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and mostly it is excellent, more esoteric than some other sites that think marantz is king, now to my ears marantz sounds dull and muddy with bloomy bottom end, but that is only an opinion. Some of your egular posters seem to be very snobbish and smug in their opinions, as if like some religious zealot, they have seen the light, and their opinion is RIGHT, surely one mans light is a blind mans electromagnetic energy.

I often say to people who are happy with their midi system or "entry level seperates" sytem, my system is not better than yours just different, but to me the difference is worth paying the extra for, not so for them, who is happier the person with the £10,000 hifi and a hundred recordings or the chap with £100 hifi and 10,000 recordings, are we not all in this first and foremost because we like music?

Too much conflict na argument in this world aready without all us who fit into the bigger category of "Music Lovers" arguing about subjective things, lets face it football fans do it, they all like football (personally i just don't get it) and then further segregate into little groups to bad mouth each other for not being in their gang. So lets not go down to their level and keep the discussion flowing, with positive remarks and suggestions keep your opinions just that, opinions, and don't resort to ridicule just because you didn't like it. Remenber, some of us have poured alot of our hard earned cash on our kit and don't need to hear it lambasted by others because it is not their colour.

Paul

analoguekid, Nov 17, 2003
  3. Lt Cdr Data

cookiemonster

I'd take some of the comments regarding MF and others with a pinch of salt. These little jibes are a bit of a running joke around here (despite whatever 'degree' of seriousness they are evoked with). It is not for me to judge the 'morality' of such comments in this forum as i am neither an administrator nor a moderator. (Though i do believe there may be refrences to 'disparaging' comments in the forum 'handbook')

However IMO, if somebody is so attached to a box of electronics that they get upset by 'lambasting' of this equipment, then it is a sad day indeed. Personally, i think its quite funny, and take a perverted pride in owning NAD, Kenwood, FFRC, Marantz, Denon, Tag etc etc. So what? There can be plenty of rib tickling, and maybe some of the comments are quite correct. But TBH, to think that political correctness is now operating in the domain of the dead is quite frightening.

Sorry, if this opinion is contrary to what you have expanded upon, i just thought it may be worth posting something to address the balance.

I won't take offence ;)

Though, to be fair, i imagine how some of the continual comments regarding certain kit can become tedious. I just hope that those 'zealots' you are referring to, don't actually take it too seriously either, regardless of the fact of whether their comments have an element of 'truth' or not.

If anyone starts picking on MF again, i'll tie them up with my FFRC. It has its uses, and i don't mind getting it dirty. :D

cheers :)

cookiemonster, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Lt Cdr Data

cookiemonster

..........do this not lead to this?........

just a thought :)

Oh, welcome to the forum BTW. :)

cookiemonster, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Lt Cdr Data

analoguekid Planet Rush

Cheers for that cookie monster, I am not upset because I am attached to my box of electronics, I couldn't care less what others thinks, as it's my choice and I like the noise it makes, or on the basis of politicla correctness, what upsets me is interesting and imformative threads turning into playground drivel with the attitude that "mines better than yours" etc. Lets talk about Hifi.

And no i am not making snobby comments about Marantz etc, if these guys like it I am delighted for them, the reference to that was to show there is also a kind of reverse snobbishness on these sites.

I am not too serious and enjoy a laugh, tounge-cheek-comments are fine, but some of our members take it too far. Fair enough keep those who don't know informed and give your opinion so they can make better informed choice, but don't resort to childish slagging just because you don't like it.

Great forum on the whole though, i shall be making some regular visits

:) :) Paul

analoguekid, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya! and welcome :)

IMHO people say a product is BETTER they mean they PREFER it is all.

Id also say they are talking about their preference in their own systems aswell - not some sort of universal panacea.

I think we learned from the late great 'groovehandle' forum that nothing good comes from arguing...so when people make slightly overblown claims, they usually are allowed to get away with it!! :D

Hope you stay and join in the forum :)

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 17, 2003
Ask a Question