Interesting article on Room Effects

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andybillet, Sep 12, 2005.

1. andybillet

andybillet

I believe that Lyngdorf Audio (the new company formed by the Denmark half of TacT) are doing their own room correction system early next year, built into digital amps or stand alone units.

Site is under construction..... http://www.lyngdorf.com/

http://www.lyngdorf.co.uk/ takes you directly to Tact UK so they must be dealing.

I must say the idea of a 2 box hi-fi appeals to me, but reading the article made me realise I'll have to look at other solutions to deal with the upper frequencies.

Thanks for all the links to acoustic materials. I was struggling to find and at reasonable prices.

andybillet, Sep 14, 2005
  2. andybillet

alexs2

Lyngdorf aside,like yourself,I also looked for,and found that most room treatments are expensive and not so easy to track down.

alexs2, Sep 14, 2005
  3. andybillet

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

If we are talking about the bass end, then I would nominate the correction built into the Velodyne DD range of subs. They are shortly to release a stand-alone box of electronics that does the same job - SMS-1 - for a reasonable amount of money, IMHO. Having already added some room treatment up to the level it begins to intrude domestically, I'm very tempted to try one of these things (or the sub itself).

SteveC, Sep 14, 2005
  4. andybillet

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I was going to put one large square of pyramid absorber sheet on a plain wall to my left. Hung up, possibly with a frame, I expect it could look a bit like modern art. The right wall is broken up with large curtains anyway, so doesn't really need anything to stop the main secondary sounds. If I add more foam to the corners or ceiling of the room, I'll make sure it's slim and white to hide it.

pauldixonuk, Sep 14, 2005
  5. andybillet

Tenson Moderator

The Behringer is a very good unit. I am happily using it as my DAC, its that good. It's A-D converters are not quite as good, but still very capable. If you use it in a digital chain, i.e. digital in, digital out, then it can not be faulted.

TACT are known to have problems with setting up, I'm told they even have bugs in the software they run. Talk to Ya-Boo as he had one.

Tenson, Sep 14, 2005
  6. andybillet

andybillet

What kind of bugs? I know a couple of people who use their room correction system and they swear by them.

I'll ask them if they have come across any problems. They told me that set up is fairly easy for basic results, but it takes some time to learn how to get the best out of them.

They will be at Heathrow according to the show website http://www.hifinews.co.uk/content/show2005/exhibitors.htm but they are listed under Lyngdorf this time.

Should be testement to the product if they can make any of those rooms sound good. Please report back if any of you visit.

andybillet, Sep 14, 2005
  7. andybillet

Tenson Moderator

I saw them last time. They had their digital amp with EQ built in. It was probably my fav room there.

I got my info on the TACT from Ya-Boo.

Tenson, Sep 14, 2005
  8. andybillet

alexs2

I can only really speak for TAG as far as setting one up from scratch goes,and whilst it's not the simplest thing in the world,the software works properly,and is bug-free,plus one of the ex-TAG employees has recently spent a lot of time re-writing and improving the filter set-up software.

alexs2, Sep 14, 2005
  9. andybillet

matty

Hello!

Thanks to the chaps who mentioned me and RPG Europe, i do try my best!

Interesting article, thanks for the link. :)

matty, Sep 14, 2005
  10. andybillet

matty

I beleive Titian had those diffusors made for him specially

If the SAE has similar they are most likely RPG QRD Diffusors, or clones(/releases the hounds)
    In the linked article, the Reflection Free Zone is mentioned, that was developed by Dr D'Antonio, the head of RPG :)

matty, Sep 14, 2005
  11. andybillet

titian

Would you buy any EQ and just set the equalisation in more or less random way?
    The absorbtion and diffusion charachteristics of the different diffusors a quite different! Just have a look at their technical specs.The difference between the frequencies are quite important. But if you just want to buy acoustic elements for the sake of having them, why not? ;) I just believe that with some people the fact of having anything of that sort just automatically make them think that the sound is better, independently if the frequency response is really better. Good so and that's not my "problem".

They are self made (with help of a carpenter) QRD Diffusors specifically designed by the acoustician for my purpose. The QRD diffusors are over a 30-Hz absorbers (in red).

titian, Sep 14, 2005
  12. andybillet

avanzato

I didn't want to glue the walls so installed my panels into wooden frames that the foam just 'pops' into. There were slight problems with light switches and sockets getting in the way but I'm still pleased with the results.

Attached Files:

avanzato, Sep 14, 2005
  13. andybillet

matty

that looks grand Mat. very nice!

matty, Sep 14, 2005
  14. andybillet

It works!

Guys, I've had a little success tonight. Remember I only bought two small 50cm square panels of pyramid absorber, for £30 total so far. Well I tried a before and after just now. I sat in the usual seating position and made a few loud noises - highly scientific, lol! Things like counting loudly, going boo, and various other silly noises :) Anyway, an echo is clearly audiable after most noises, as a feint decaying ringing. It's reasonably obvious in fact, once you do it more often. Anyway, I placed one single sheet of absorber in the middle of my bare side wall (using mirror placement) and made a few noises again. The echo vastly reduced this time! Really suprising this stuff works very well indeed, especially for such a tiny area. I just ordered two more, so I can make a nice 1 metre square panel. I may frame it too, as it looks pretty cool and arty actually. Highly reccommended to you all! Seems RPG's Matt has the answer to white ceiling panels too.

I'll try not to get carried away and make myself a padded cell!

15. andybillet

matty

If you have a bad echo problem then any kind of absorption will make a huge difference, different materials have different absorption qualities, some work better at higher frequencies than others etc, and profile can affect them also.

matty, Sep 14, 2005
  16. andybillet

I didn't even realise there was an issue until PMC's guy had a listen. He mentioned a minor echo, then I made a point of trying to hear it as well. The thing is, once I had actually noticed it when concentrating, it became hard to ignore. Anyway, I can imagine using too much of this foam could be quite easy, after hearing how much effect it has. Best to build it up slowly, maybe.

17. andybillet

matty

Too much foam will remove the 'feel' of the room and you end up with a dead environment with no echo, some people like this, but a balanced room with the right balance of absorption and diffusion is better(for me personally and professionally, lol)

matty, Sep 14, 2005
  18. andybillet

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I'D like to thank Matty as well, His products have helped Chez music a good bit too.
    I had 2 bad panels against my back wall, as the listening placement is too close to it.
    2 1200mm 25mm panels have really given the nautralness stakes a good lift and helped those first refections and cure an awful lot of that live echo. Neat design too. Thumbs up for RPG acoustic. Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
    wadia-miester, Sep 14, 2005
  19. andybillet

Judging from what 50cm square will do for absorbtion, I reckon four times that of 1 metre square will be plenty enough! Your suggestion of diffusers for the rear sounds interesting too. Do you make these in dark grey or white, in 50 cm square?

20. andybillet

matty

I will PM you Paul, i dont know what the forum rules are on traders, dont want to upset the bosses!

Tony - Thanks, i'm really pleased they have made such a good impression on you.

matty, Sep 14, 2005
Ask a Question