Interesting article on Room Effects

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andybillet, Sep 12, 2005.

1. andybillet

matty

50mm materials do not have as wide a range of absorption as 100mm, the peak frequencies may be similar, but 50mm fiberglass we use has far less aborption at 125hz and 100mm at 125hz, 50mm is around 0.2 whilst 100mm is around 0.7

Fiberglass and foams also behave differently, 2" fiberglass has a far smoother plot than foam of the same relative depth, starting at 0.2 @100hz for 50mm fg against 0.1for 50mm melamine, 250hz gives 0.8 with fg against 0.5 from melamine, you get the idea

i have lots of graphs and figures if anyone is interested.

Spacing materials away from the boundary surface is a cost effective way of improving absorption range

matty, Sep 16, 2005
  2. andybillet

adam

[​IMG]

I took this rather blurry shot this morning,it's a arrangement I came up with last night,the foams are procorner,and profoams,I'm waiting to finish them of with fabric covering.I've hung the one on the left,and have left an air space behind it,I made it 3 foams thick,I need to hang still the one on the right,then to finish it off,just cover them.I have some smaller procorners on the rear wall and some melamine foam too.

With this set up,I'm getting some superb sounds,the room sounds much deader,but doesn't kill the music,bass is under much better control,more defined,treble is sweetend too,I can't believe the difference the products has made to the room,a worthwhile investment,a great product and great service too.

adam, Sep 17, 2005
  3. andybillet

matty

thanks Adam, looks ok does that!

Going to pinch your last line there Adam, great quote, lol

matty, Sep 17, 2005
  4. andybillet

Tenson Moderator

Look good Adam! How deep is the stuff (inc. air gap) on the back wall? I can't help feeling you would get a greater improvement from putting at least one layer of that stuff on the ceiling at reflection points.

Do you have foam in the rear corners too, or just that one in the right?

Tenson, Sep 17, 2005
  5. andybillet

adam

Hi Tenson,

I hope it will look even better when the CARA fabric arrives,it's been a headache as in not DIY best friend so alot of sweating & swearing has taken place,to make them (good glue)and hanging them.

I've just followed Matts advice and my own thoughts,so I've left a air space of 2cm,I've made 2,one is 8cm deep = 10CM total,the other is 10cm + 2cm air gap=12cm.I've used MDF then rockwall,the the RPG profoam,I've gone for depth more than area coverage as it sounded a bit dead using the whole wall.

It looks like thier is only bass trap in the pic (right hand side)but if you look on the left,you'll see a sky blue type colour,that's also a RPG bass trap,I bought some old ones to save some monies.I have one small one in the rear corner to one side.

First reflections were a pain,as both side were glass windows,so I made another two absorbers,same design,a MDF board so it could rest against the glass,rockwall,then profoam,not quite finished yet.

I guess I need to do the ceiling at some stage,where do you put it? above the speakers or above the listening area?I think I would need something,thin and white,and not covering a large area,it's not my living room,but a room I had built so I could dedicate it to listening to music,and watchinfg films,but still want it to look nice without the studio look!!.

I had it set up last night as in the photo,put on my Rega,and it really had no right to sound the good,it was worth the hassle and help.

adam, Sep 17, 2005
  6. andybillet

Tenson Moderator

The ceiling should have treatment at the first reflection points as well. If you sit in your listening chair and get someone to hold a mirror on the ceiling (quite hard I know!) then where you can see the speakers in the reflection is the first reflection point.

Depending on the room they are generally a few feet in from the speakers (toward the centre of the speakers) and about half way forward between the front of the speakers and where you listen from.

Tenson, Sep 17, 2005
  7. andybillet

matty

generally we are asked to supply diffusion for ceiling first reflection points, i suppose its down to the specifier or acoustician to decide how they want the room to feel

matty, Sep 17, 2005
  8. andybillet

andybillet

I asked and there no complaints about any software bugs.

Hope all that attend enjoy the show. Please report back.

andybillet, Sep 19, 2005
  9. andybillet

rsand I can't feel my toes

I have often thought of some kind of absorbtion behind the electrostats, but this is my lounge as well as my listening room so been put off the idea. The curtains are behind which must absorb some of the rear output but some kind of foam in white or cream would look ok.

My ceiling is pretty low, I can touch it on tiptoes (I'm 6') it sounds like some kind of diffusion might improve things too. Again this is the lounge so I dont want 1970's style polly tiles up there, do you think strategically placed ceiling roses would have an effect. My decor isn't IKEA/modern more contemporary classic I was going to put some up anyway.

rsand, Sep 21, 2005
  10. andybillet

matty

there are many different finishes and styles of acoustic treatments around nowadays, from flat panels to huge wood diffusors, something for every taste!

matty, Sep 21, 2005
Ask a Question