July's Most Listened To & Must Buys?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by ilockyer, Jul 3, 2003.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Some great buys there, Full Moon Fever is indeed a great album, I picked that up some time ago along with Southern Accents, 50p for the two!

Mr Lucky is an excellent album, as good a place as any to start with someone who has as much output as JLH. His Chill Out album from '94 (I think) was an excellent piece of work too. I've also not got around to buying any of the earlier stuff, really must do.

And The Music, great album, I think the jamming is fantastic on there, they are talented musicians but it can sometimes get in the way of a good song. It was their one downfall at Glastonbury, where they were filling in for Zwan who pulled out, everytime they drew a larger crowd they seemed to lose half of them by doing an instrumental track, really just an excuse for them to showcase their musical ability. It's unusual to see such great musicianship in a band so young (the oldest of them is 21).

I look forward to the second album.

ilockyer, Jul 10, 2003
  2. ilockyer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I have been listening to recently,

Sam Cooke. Night Beat.

This is a album from 1963. It's Bluesy soul effort from the the man of class. Wouldn't mind a copy of this on vinyl.

Love Unlimited Orchestra. The best of.

Barry White's backing band. He wrote, arranged & Produced their output. Good quality music.

Various Artists. Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Vol 2.

A album full of Motown rarities. Full of fine soul music from some of the greats & lesser know Motown stars. A lot of these could have be big hits. The album consists of promos, demos, album tracks & chart flops.

The Streets. Original Pirate Material

Having heard a lot about this, I decided to dip my toe. I played one of his singles at one of my club nights to mixed opinions. The album has had rave reviews but I think it's just aright. I don't like his vocal delivery too much. Some of the phrases & lyrics are quite good but disappointed overall.

Jimi Hendrix. Smash Hits.

A good album of hits & well known tracks from the master. A good album for dipping your toes into the music of Jimi. Good for the air guitar player. My air guitar took a bit of trashing last night.

Scritti Politti Song to remember.

An album from 1982. I dug this out for one of the bake offs. Fine crafted pop music which stood out at the time. Still cuts it now IMO. Very diffferent to their later stuff. Very relaxing

Isley Brothers. Winner Takes ALL

Late 70s disco/funk/soul by one hell of a funky family. Not played this one in years.

The JB's Doing it to Death.

James Browns backing band from the early 70s. Pure funky grooves from a band that does it to death. Always a funky good when this band plays.

OMD. The best of.

This was laying around while I was sorting out a pile of records to sell. An excellent insite to a mix of 80s electronica & fine pop songs.

Skatalites. Ska-Boo-Da-Ba.

Got to have my weekly dose of ska music from the finest band out of Jamaica.

These were some of the records & cds that were playing last night.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 10, 2003
  3. ilockyer

badchamp Thermionic Member

Dean,

I was so impressed with it at the bake-off I've ordered a copy

:beer:
    Jeff

badchamp, Jul 10, 2003
  4. ilockyer

Wingnut

I bought Tom McRae - 'Just Like Blood' this month it's a really good album with definite influences from James, Talk Talk, and U2 (not a bad combo).

Also listening to Mogwai - 'Happy songs for happy people' very uplifting, as the title might suggest ;)

Wingnut

Wingnut, Jul 10, 2003
  5. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Welcome to the forum Wingnut!

I believe we spoke over on HFC :D

MOgwai? Happy songs? Same sentance? A joke you doth tell, surely!

MO!, Jul 11, 2003
  6. ilockyer

Wingnut

Thanks MO, thought I'd dip my toe in!

I think Mogwai's new album is uplifting - believe it or not, granted it's hardly one for the happy clappers. I definately recommend listening to this after a hard day at work!

Wingnut

Wingnut, Jul 11, 2003
  7. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I shall have to investigate further. I've only got "Come on die young" "MOgwai fear satan" "4 satin" (ep). And the remix album "kicking a dead pig" Surely one of the best album titles around :D

Now get posting :D

MO!, Jul 11, 2003
  8. ilockyer

space cadet Far out...

Like MOgwai? Try an album called 'And Farewell to Hightide' by Cerberus Shoal. My fave post-rocky album ever!
    Or try something by The Workhouse – Norman Records has some of the Great Pop Supplement singles... £4.95 for a 7" might seem pricey but there's only 111 copies pressed, you won't be disappointed!

space cadet, Jul 12, 2003
  9. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

If we're going this way, then may I mention Tortoise "millions now living will never die" very concept but when the MOods good for it, then it's a good album.

Norman records?

MO!, Jul 12, 2003
  10. ilockyer

space cadet Far out...

Got that Tortoise album, nice... My best friend's band, back in Norway, went to Chicago to record an album with John McEntire from Tortoise, I think it's being distributed in the UK now... It's called Tempo and the band is called Salvatore. Just checked http://www.normanrecords.com has got it!
    As an aphex fan, have you ever checked out Planet Mu records. If you haven't got it I can recommend a double compilation cd called The Cosmic Forces of Mu. Superb weirdish electronica!

space cadet, Jul 12, 2003
  11. ilockyer

Mekon Rent this space

Most listened to this month:

Why? - Oaklandazulasylum
    Hip hop influenced trippy indie folk.

Gangstarr - Step into the Arena
    Seems have to crept back into my playlist, and set up home. Classic hip hop.

Madlib - Madlib Invades Blue Note
    Madlib + Blue Note breaks = dopeness

Of my most recent haul, I suspect that the APC vs Matthew Ship album will get alot of play. I grabbed the Ltd. white vinyl, having had the CD since it came out, which sadly turned out to be unplayable in my Naim CD3.5. I am pretty hyped about the King Geedorah album too.

Mekon, Jul 12, 2003
  12. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'll hopefuly get hold of Cosmic forces of Mu soon :D

I've just ordered Nautilis "Are you an Axolotl" Which is on Planet Mu. Not heard it, but sounds like could be interesting :D

MO!, Jul 13, 2003
  13. ilockyer

space cadet Far out...

Cosmic Forces is really good, laugh out loud at Bit Meddler's Shitmix 2000 (one for the 80s fans, he he)

Let me know if the Nautilis album is any good. There's a track by him (them?) on Cosmic, and I've got a decent 7" by him as well, should be a good one! Quite fancy some Jega or Joseph Nothing next time I'm in an electronic mood. Right now it's Ayler, Sun Ra and Brotzmann though... Cheers Sideshowbob!!!

space cadet, Jul 14, 2003
  14. ilockyer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

First impressions are very favourable for Nautilis! Been sat out in garden having a wee swally. Very good music for it! Nice mix of chill out and some MOre up tempo stuff. Elements of the trademark aphex/pusher sound. Nice flowing melodies, with some scattered beats over it. Not in the same sort of random way though. Some good vocals too. Sounds a bit like Leftfields "Dusted" track crossed with Lo Fi Allstars. Distorted vocals, but without over kill.

Only one proper listen (and a repeat on the track where he screams "MOther f@#ker"....... cos it's funny :D ), but likes it alot!

Great to know that there's so much music out there waiting to be discovered! I'd never even heard of him/her/them the other day, now i've got a wicked album for a few quid! :D

MO

:D

MO!, Jul 15, 2003
Ask a Question