Ken Kessler Retired

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dcathro, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dcathro

nando nando

hi zanash, i think that he is going beyond a joke, just like in a T.T. you rely on arm settings, v.t.a. bias, tracking force etc, etc, transports are the main source of digital reading, also have a facility to sample to a resistance to inform the d.a.c. as much information that it can gather from the disc, then the d.a.c. on it's capebility to upsample the information it will deliver will have an output on analogue of it's own caracter"pending of who" but as we know the transport is, if not, the main key of digital source..nando

nando, Oct 24, 2006
  2. dcathro

oedipus

What I mean't was opposite to:

Let's go back to rain. I asked you to look out the window and tell me whether it was raining, you did, it was, and I concluded that it is constantly raining in the UK.

The information you gave me was 'real' enough, but it was sufficient to allow me to draw the conclusion I did. I'm suggesting to you that in order to form a "fact" (which would be a useful for reasoning with) that you need to do more experimentation (like I would with rain).

Putting that in a slightly different form, I'm also saying that you formed your opinion (which you are treating as fact) on the Chord vs Cambridge with too little data.

As you were wondering where I was going with that rain question: I was hoping you'd play along with the "rain" experiment, because I figured you could spot a bad experiment when you saw one. I then planned on getting you to try to design a good experiment (to determine the % of time it rains in the UK) - you'd probably make some elementary errors and I could show you that it's harder than you think to create a (seemingly) simple experiment.

Then, I'd ask you whether you could design an experiment in psycho-acoustics which would generate valid results. [BTW: It's pretty clear that you can't - which is OK, so long you'd be willing to learn how.]

The list I gave in this post #1-#5 isn't something I made up for amusement, but is rather a distillation of the "confounding factors" that need to be eliminated in psycho-acoustic research (if meaningful results are to be generated).

If you want to discuss "jitter" and esoteric bits of EE then you are free to do so, but you are doomed to an eternity of floundering around (1) because you don't really understand jitter or EE and (2) you're looking in the wrong place, because the explanation for your 'real' experience lies elsewhere.

If you want an explanation for your 'real' experiences forget graduate level topics in EE and do Psycho-acoustics 101.

oedipus, Oct 24, 2006
  3. dcathro

Tenson Moderator

You seem to think I'm trying to do some sort of serious experiment here. I'm not. I'm stating what I heard and asking what you think the cause could be. So you will pick me up on saying 'I know' rather than 'I have heard'. Well don't be so pedantic.

You posted some ideas and I gave reasons why it is not likely to be any of them. For one, a lot of those are not even applicable to a digital transport are they? More applicable to a DAC (of which I used 2 with the same result).

I then asked at the bottom of the post what else it could be and you started going on about rain. Perhaps you should have said 'if it really wasn't any of those things then I don't know, because jitter on that level is not audible and there are no other measurable factors that make an audible difference'. Which I think is what you are really saying here.

Oh, and if someone said the Chord sounded less harsh than the Cambridge then fine, at least they heard a difference. How they interpreted it is not my concern as I listen with my ears not theirs, and if I did for some odd reason then I would have a lovely shiny Chord Blu transport.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
    Tenson, Oct 24, 2006
  4. dcathro

nando nando

o.k wise guy , what do you know about metaphysics ? is it not the fulcrom of co-ordination of mind and body in conbined with the balance of tatal harmonic waves that all differ in individuals ?o after all we. we are different,! like in us humans science and music do not make a fulcrom, merelly a personal compromise, to each it's own..nando

nando, Oct 24, 2006
  5. dcathro

Dom_ --->

I thought this was a thread about Ken Kessler?

Dom_, Oct 24, 2006
  6. dcathro

nando nando

p.s. rain is vertical, the source is horizontal, wich is the compromise ? or are they one of the same? signal to path, ! path to ratio? or noise to ears? .nando

nando, Oct 24, 2006
  7. dcathro

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Yeah me too. I thought I was gonna get a nice thread full of Ken slagging and what do I get a thread full of old toot about these new fangled digical doohickies. I thought they all sounded the same ;) They'll never catch on you know.

Uncle Ants, Oct 24, 2006
  8. dcathro

nando nando

uncle, you are always going to get this out of subject caracters, as for ken , i am going to miss his articles,views, etc,there is more to come, no doubt, i will talk to him soon as i can and let you all know.. let's keep this thread as it is titled. no more B.....T SCIENCE.. by the way uncle what watch do you have ? (sic) nando

nando, Oct 24, 2006
  9. dcathro

mr cat Member of the month

would the zerogainer's have it any other way..? :D

mr cat, Oct 25, 2006
  10. dcathro

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Isn't It time we moved the rain theory to the Kingdergarten ? Perhaps Oedipus is a close friend to our other source of all HI-FI knowledge "Johnny" !?
    Shame that K K has gone, I never believe reviewers totally, it's HI-Fi News loss.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2006
    STELLABAGPUSS, Oct 25, 2006
  11. dcathro

nando nando

THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING, i hope it stops raining! jokes apart, i hope that he will continue voicing his views, we need critics in all fields, it gives us food for thought..nando

nando, Oct 25, 2006
  12. dcathro

nando nando

oh dear, no longer this thread is about ken, for those who querie about transports try zero gravety.. or get an ipod (sic) .ken help.nando

nando, Oct 25, 2006
  13. dcathro

ShinOBIWAN

bell

ShinOBIWAN, Oct 26, 2006
  14. dcathro

dcathro

Tenson,

There is no point getting into an arguement or discussion with Oedipus. I have been there on several occasions. To him, you are like a born again christian is to an Athiest - full of silly beliefs. He is just here to have a little fun at your expense.

dcathro, Oct 27, 2006
  15. dcathro

nando nando

hi tenson, rumours.. rumours. i hear that hfn is going to dissapear soon, about K.K. he is back in the states, like it or not i am going to miss his articles and his points of view,.. by the way , is it raining by you ? regards nando.

nando, Oct 28, 2006
  16. dcathro

Tenson Moderator

It looks like it is about to! ...and just when I want to go out! (to play some music with good friends. Makes a change from listening to it :) )

Tenson, Oct 28, 2006
  17. dcathro

RobHolt Moderator

Oh I hope not. HFN is our longest running mag - over 50 years and it would be a shame to lose it

RobHolt, Oct 28, 2006
  18. dcathro

nando nando

well, all good things come to the end, beacouse..., of what?.. i dare not say. nando

nando, Oct 28, 2006
  19. dcathro

70sman

Potentially libelous statement removed

70sman, Oct 31, 2006
  20. dcathro

dcathro

removed as it references 70sman's comment

dcathro, Oct 31, 2006
Ask a Question