Love over Gold

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Ya-Boo

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Re: technobear

Sorry, I'm in playful mood here. Didn't mean to offend.
    Are we talking CD or those funny scratchy black things here?

I have to say, I always prefered Crime Of The Century and Crisis What Crisis.

The version of the track Crime Of The Century is really good on Paris (IMHO).

However, I don't actually have Even In The Quietist Moments so I may check that out.

I've been promising a bake-off at TB towers for some time. I really will have to get around to it in the new year.

technobear, Dec 14, 2003
  2. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

No offence taken:D :D
    Love the banter,I,ve not replaced crisis yet
    have got most of the others remastered.........
    School & C'est le bon are my fav's

regards A.Anorak:D :D

Ya-Boo, Dec 14, 2003
  3. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Anybody fancy hearing mid eighties box'es kick modern stuff's arses?
    bring your box'es to my gaff in the new year :p :p :p

bring on ya Belcanto's & ATC's Arcams and et al.......
    :D

Ya-Boo, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Ya-Boo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I'm going to stun a few of you now, If you like then music pre 1986, then go get a TT, the are some things that vinyl does digital can't, or not as well. digital does things the vinyl can't do as well, but musical flow is TT forte'
    Now I have heard 2 lastest remasters of some old classics, that CD does do justice, the Beatles 'Let it be Naked', blimey even sounded ok on my system & the Blues brothers not in the least bit digital, so they make be a glimmer of hope after all :D Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Ya-Boo

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Hey, please put me down for an eighth too. Is it audiophile grade?

Must be if we're on Supertramp. "Even in the Quietest Moments" gets my vote as their top album. Does anyone else have Manfred Mann's 3rd Earth Band?

I think I'll get me the "Let It Be Naked". Is it on vinyl?

7_V, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

only the best BLACK for audiophiles;)

Ya-Boo, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Ya-Boo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hmm, flashbacks of collage for me, most of which was spent listening to supertramp and floyd with various members of the opposite sex.
    i'm also with chris on this one too, every upgrade has made these cd's sound better and better.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Ya-Boo

merlin

So exactly how many of you want an eighth:confused:

Good to see so many of you coming out of the closet too;)

merlin, Dec 14, 2003
  10. Ya-Boo

HenryT

Is this a wind-up?! :confused:

I've always independently considered "Love Over Gold" by those god fathers of 80's AOR ;) to be of demo quality, regardless of format. In fact, I find it's one of a handful of albums that rarely fails to satisfy, ragardless of system. Admitedly, IMO, vinyl is still the ultimate format to listen to this classic album on (my fave DS album as it happens) mainly because it's derived from a analogue session recordings so therefore usually sounds best from a TT - the CD lacks a touch of warmth and seems just that bit anemic in the lower end bloom department by comparison but I've never found this album to be lacking in dynamics. The first two tracks in particular a very viscerel, especially the last 5 minutes of Telegraph Road and the pounding drums which can make you jump at the appropriate levels at the end of Private Investigations.

I've got the recent(ish) Simply Vinyl 180g pressing on loan to me at the moment, which I have still to listen to, but do actually own the standard 80s pressing too. Also have the complete backcatalog of the rest of their albums on CD, all bought between the late 80s and early 90s - none of them are remasters though. I've not ever heard any of the remastered releases that came out in the mid 90s so couldn't comment on whether these were an improvement or not...

Agreed with those who've experienced their favourite recordings getting better with successive system upgrades. Very often the grit and grain, or even apparent compression was actually distortions introduced by the playback equipment itself rather than inherent flaws in the recordings themselves. It's one of those things which are very hard to believe until you've heard it with your own ears, but even I'm still surprised - and it's definitely not a case of faults being masked because I've also heard more details coming through such as studio background noises, tape hiss, extra instruments appearing in the mix, etc.

HenryT, Dec 15, 2003
  11. Ya-Boo

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

nope,but i have got L.S.D by them

i'll take an ounce but olny if its green

themadhippy, Dec 15, 2003
  12. Ya-Boo

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Not here it doesn't :D

technobear, Dec 15, 2003
  13. Ya-Boo

penance Arrogant Cock

2 please

twas a big closet, but i managed to get out all on my ownself

penance, Dec 15, 2003
  14. Ya-Boo

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So when ARE you going to listen to it, Henry? It's worth it (and I'm stuck listening to my dodgy copies at the mo while you have it!) - just kidding :) Can you bring over the Toblerone I left in your fridge, and that shower gel from the guest bathroom, on Thursday - I was too hung over to remember to pick said items up last weekend :)

SO back on topic - yeah - dunno which version on CD you guys are listening to, but my late 80s pressing (bought 2nd hand in 1991) sounds fantastic. The vinyl is better, but the CD is good - even musically.

The CD has been remastered - so maybe this time you won't get that massive left channel drop out during the line "then there was a war" on Telegraph Road ;)

domfjbrown, Dec 15, 2003
Ask a Question