mf..why so bloody popular

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

kermit still dreaming.......

I get a bit tired of this manufacturer bashing on this forum .
    Willy waving in the extreme.
    The simple fact is that if you took the time to investigate the set up of some of this kit you,d probably find that it was pretty decent stuff .
    That,s the one good thing about Hifi plush magazine , they at least seem to pull out all the stops when they try some kit just to make sure that it is working optimally .
    It,s also whythe good dealers are usually helpful . They usually know what works for a bit of kit and what doesn,t .
    I know someone will say "but it should work from the start without special setup needs ", but if most people were honest they,d find that their kit sounded better with this particular cable or that particular stand or those particular feet or that far from the wall .
    And I bet they don,t repeat this rigmarole with every new bit of kit that they hear or try .

No I wouldn,t either after one particular cyrus system gave your uber wadia setup a good run for its money;)
    (two out of the three at the listening session preferred the cyrus kit.Interestingly, the third person didn,t actually sit in the proper seat between the speakers(notice anything similar Bub?) , otherwise he might have preferred the cyrus kit as well )

well I think thats the last time I post here , not that I,ll be much loss to the club .

kermit, May 14, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Robbo

Kermit,

Actually, I interpreted Tony's comments as being aimed at MF not cyrus. He has always been rather positive about the sounds he heard from your system.

Forums are all about opinions and it is inevitable that some people like different stuff to others. No need to be so sensitive about it IMO.

Robbo, May 15, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Sgt Rock

Kermit,

To be fair to Tone, he has told me that your system sounded good when I met him for the first time, I think his comment was aimed else where.

Sgt Rock, May 15, 2004
  4. Lt Cdr Data

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

I too find manufacturer product bashing on the basis of personal preference particularly pointless.

TonyL

It's true that MF had a poor reputation for reliability in the early days. Around the time I was in the market to upgrade from my A&R A60 to a pre-power combination this was a concern of mine after hearing an MF combo (3B + p150). However, the salesman was honest about MF having had such problems but said they were past that and anyway would replace a product if it turned out to have any faults. So I bought the combo and was very happy with it.

I currently own an old A370, and I challenge anyone to find a speaker it can't drive accurately. Considering it's been reviewed driving Apogee speakers (Impedance drops below 2 Ohms) with plenty of control and grunt to spare. I think there is no difference between MF and any other amp manufacturer in this respect. ie don't expect their low-midrange products to have perfect control of all speakers.

GTM

GTM, May 16, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

analoguekid Planet Rush

I lived quite happily with the lower range of mf stuff (x series) I think the opposite is true, lower end stuff seems to punch above it's weight, but the more expensive stuff was a big letdown when I heard it especially tri vista amp and cdp that was a real snoozefest heard this combo recently with ne pro ac d25 and although there was plenty info there didn't seem to be much air around instruments sundstage was wide enough but lacked depth and height and bass just seemed to sit in a lump between speakers.

In summarry lower end mf stuff seems to offer just as good quality as it's nearer competition and offers an altrnative sound to it's peers but as you go above the 308 stuff then I beleive you can get a lot better for less.

And appologies to Kermit was not attacking your choice of kit, I was only offering an opinion I prefer the MF sound to the Cyrus tahts all not saying the cyrus stuff is bad Just not my cuo of tea, Let's face it you bought your kit cause uyou liked it it shouldn't matter waht I or anyone else says, please don't stop posting, your input is as valid as anyone elses, some on hear cannot be that happy with the sound their kit makes as they are constantly box swapping, if they don't even like their own choices how can you expect them to speak favourably about yours.

Cheers
    Paul

Typo's of the world Untie! (I am stil blaming the keyboard)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
    analoguekid, May 16, 2004
  6. Lt Cdr Data

kermit still dreaming.......

I did write a long response to some of the posts , but it was basically a load of boll****
    I wasn,t going to respond at all , but i don,t want it to be made to seem that i was throwing my toys out of the pram just because my kit was knocked . after all i have knocked it in the past myself .
    if i could have afforded it i would have replaced my cyrus kit a long time ago . like many others i,m of the opinion that you shouldn,t have to spend time and money to extract a decent performance from this stuff .but that is a moot point.

thats fair comment , but as they followed several posts about cyrus ,surely it is just as acceptable to think thats what they referred to ?

also fair comment , but has it ever been said on or off these forums that Henry preferred my system after their visit ?
    Now that conclusion was never posted in the subsequent reviews .
    Henry was and is perfectly entitled to change his opinion after hearing something as we all are and have , but this was never actually mentioned in the reviews either .
    The point to me dragging this up after all this time is twofold .
    Even if Henry changed his mind , don,t you guys think that for it to be said in the first place means that my system is perhaps better than good ?
    As I said , this isn,t me throwing my toys out of the pram it is actually my knee jerk reaction to the gang mentality that seems to keep on showing it,s head on here.
    ask yourselves this
    how many sets of isolda , eupen , seismic sinks and trichords were bought my members of this forum after being touted as being the "best there is"(this is what i mean by gang mentality)
    Now if people had been aware that my cyrus system
    could actually give a belcanto, wadia, monitor audio system (surely highend?)a run for its money , (or even better it) then maybe the above isoldas , eupens, sizmic sinks and trichords may not actually be the best ?

and yes i do/did use home made air plats and iso trannies , but how many times has it been said that they,re not as good as the real thing?

Now this trend is moving onto the kit itself .
    And so we have an increase in brand bashing .
    and so i lost my temper
    hopefully i,ve explained myself .
    all the best
    richard

and appologies to anyone that i have offended.

kermit, May 17, 2004
Ask a Question