Mobile Phones tranfering contacts

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Mar 20, 2006.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

The problem has not gone away, I can now get the device to talk to ActiveSync, but it'll not Sync. When you connect you get, Connecting... then Looking for updates... then Sycning.... then. an error "Synchronization cannot be completed successfully. Reconnect your device and try again.". From what I read on the forums, ActiveSync, doesn't 'play nice' with other applications and will only work on a clean install, another victory for M$ testing and quality control again, terrific.

lhatkins, Mar 27, 2006
  2. lhatkins

Well I have solved the problem, well not really solved, more of a workaround, but I had to go to a bit of an extreme to do it.

I downloaded VMPlayer, this lets you run a Virtual PC on your desktop, a friend of mine who has the full VMWare software made me Windows XP image, I ran this, installed Drivers, Outlook and ActiveSync, and bingo it worked, and this is the only way I can get it working.

Active Sync will only work on a clean system, well now at least I can start to use my new phone, only a month after I received it ! ;)

lhatkins, Mar 29, 2006
  3. lhatkins

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

VMWare is very useful - have used it for years for testing OS's and also creating test 'virtual network' environments. Virtual PC from Microsoft is also another alternative.

I did get VMWare Player runing a Windows XP VM under SUSe 10.1 for a while. Even my Sony NetMD ran pretty well under it - a surprise, as it is real finicky software to get going.

nsherin, Mar 29, 2006
  4. lhatkins

mr cat Member of the month

5. lhatkins

Cheers Mr Cat, but no, since all the contacts where actually stored on the phone, the SIM doesn't have enough memory to store all the dtails. This is what I have done with my other phones, just transfered them via the SIM, but now there is so much information stored in the address book it'll no longer fit on a SIM.

lhatkins, Mar 29, 2006
Ask a Question