Music....More Music!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RDD, Mar 31, 2004.

1. RDD

Graham C

I have always pruned my collection of Cds. It has crept up to about 500, but I have sent about the same number elsewhere, mainly to a stallholder near to Paul Birkett who I buy/sell rock from/to. I think about 700 is the max I would like to cope with, as there is stuff I've yet to get. I wouldnt hang on to anything average, just for collecting.

Graham C, Apr 1, 2004
  2. RDD

sideshowbob Trisha

Having looked at what's in your collection on the web, I'm not at all surprised... :p

I have regular purges of stuff, but I still seem to have masses of CDs and records. I used to be quite vicious about purging things, on the basis that if I could whittle the collection down to about a dozen essential things I couldn't live without, that might be a good thing to achieve. Nowadays the only pressure to purge stuff comes from lack of space - the office loft is full of my books, CDs and records...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 1, 2004
  3. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Well that's been a real education, thanks for all your input. There definitely seems to be three camps emerging here.

1) The collectors - those that own shed loads and listen to some of it as and when the situation arises (the "do you have that" scenario is spot on garyi), parties or just pulling it out for a listen once in a blue moon. Also have a major reluctance to purge anything unless absolutely necessary.

2) The listeners - those that own shed loads and have time to listen to a large bulk of it. Will maybe clear out a few nasties from time to time.

3) Middle ground between the two - I think I fall into the category seemingly with sideshowbob and Graham C (among others), I have quite a large collection on various formats and find it hard to throw things out but am really not into keeping hold of things I don't like or listen to for collecting sake.

I understand why many think Classical/Jazz are timeless, but would agree with SCIDB that certainly rock music has some serious staying power. I tend to find anything with “instruments of the era†ages stupidly fast – the synth's and synth drums of the 80's being a prime example. However listen to rock from the 70/80's and much of it (ignoring the power ballads!!) could have been released yesterday IMHO.

Just as interesting a thread as I hoped it would be, nice one chaps. The HiFi V's music issue has been largely covered here to, which is good. Just to clarify one small point, I think the person that said the 90% “rule†I quoted was using it as more of an example, rather than a rule as such :)

Cheers,
    RDD

RDD, Apr 2, 2004
  4. RDD

titian

I don't know who you are but I simply think that people having large collections of CDs and LPs are NUTS, phychological ready for the mad house.
    :chainsaw:

And if you think that they don't even hear all what they have. :inferno:
    If one of those guys come near to me I will :gatling:

I just wonder how can other members of this forum can read this stuff without reacting immeadiately and telling these guys that they should go to the doctor. How can you love music and leave it there in the dust?
    That the biggest cruelty I ever heard of.
    I think these collectors should be punished. :SWMBO:

.. and I never agree with 'A better one should give you more enjoyment.'
    Of course not! :knight:
    A better system is only there to empty your bank account: anyway you cannot hear the difference between a cheap and an expensive system.
    And don't believe those who have an expensive systems: they are nuts too.
    And if someone of them have both, a large CD / LP collection and an expensive system, they should be banned, they are double nuts and a danger for the whole community.

Well those are my first thoughts: nothing personal.:D

titian, Apr 2, 2004
  5. RDD

sideshowbob Trisha

You're jealous because you only have a mini-system and 7 CDs. :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 2, 2004
  6. RDD

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes Titain leave Dean alone :p He is Mr Music :)

wadia-miester, Apr 2, 2004
  7. RDD

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Oh look!

Titian's found the smileys! :lol:

MO!, Apr 2, 2004
  8. RDD

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hmm.

I bet Ian (sideshow) could give you a huuge string of Jazz classics that were 'created very quickly, made in an instant'.

I bet Grahamn could give you a list just as long of classical pieces that were written in a jiffy.

I can think of some Dance/Pop music that took an age to craft conversely!

I agree with you on the point about apprenticeship and musicianship which so often add so much.... but then again there is often real beauty and depth in the playing of people with little skill, but buckets of emotion..

My own take on the post itself, well what my interest in hifi has given me is an ability to appreciate a broader spectrum of music. low-fi hid some of the inner qualities of new music, hi-fi led me to a broader spectrum of music types...

Interest in forums have given me friends hereabouts who show me new music, which is a valuable gift.

I like to think of hifi and music as complimentary rather than rudimentary opposites of a scale.

:) Chris

bottleneck, Apr 2, 2004
Ask a Question