My Wadia Vs hard drive

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Feb 1, 2004.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

Thanks for the additional replies to all. Very useful. Criag, no mixing, just for stereo replay. I do all of my recording and mixing on a Carillon with Soundscape Mixtreme soundcard. I've not tried it out in my hifi system but really should try it out.

RME are certainly very, very well regarded in the proaudio world. The problem that us hifi guys (I'm also one of them) will have is that the proaudio market primarily attempt to manufacture dacs and soundcards with no sonic signature as accuracy of the recording is al important. This may mean that I may or may not end up with a soundcard to my liking, I have a feeling that it might be a bit like a Linn/Levinson presentation.

The attitude in the proaudio world is also quite interesting. Many do not like hifi because it is coloured and their outlook on many subjects seems quite at odds with what you read here. Of course neither camp is right as it is just opinion, but I find the different perspectives interesting.

dominicT

dominicT, Feb 3, 2004
  2. dominicT

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thats why I said be careful to anyone considering replacing a pricey CD player with it. When they first started becoming fashionable on headfi, people could see they had excellent detail retrieval, and thats great, but now people are saying they are a bit clinical at times. It might wow you at first, but in the longer term, you may go off it. Thats why I advocate the use of a proper hifi DAC. The lower cards like the Audiophile and EWX 24/96 actually have a warmer, more forgiving and more musical sound, whilst not so impressive in detail retrieval, is likely more easy to live with on a daily basis for hifi use.

PBirkett, Feb 3, 2004
Ask a Question