Naims new cable........

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, May 11, 2006.

1. zanash

Paul Ranson

Naim users are as cable tweaky as you, they just have an alternative view. They upgrade their SNAICS and Burndys as the 'better' versions come along. They plug them in the right way around. etc etc.

FWIW do you hear a difference in the direction of wire? (And if not, why not...)

Paul

Paul Ranson, May 14, 2006
  2. zanash

RobHolt Moderator

The issue with Naim and cables is not that they don't believe cables sound different - they do, it's that until now they've claimed that the best cables (ie their own) were cheap.
    That view has now changed.

RobHolt, May 14, 2006
  3. zanash

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Back when NAC A4 was released it was considered absurdly expensive. IIRC it was at least 3 times the cost of QED 79 strand which was just about the only other ‘audiophile’ speaker cable available. A5 upped the game even more costing best part of a fiver a meter. By supporting active drive and minimum lengths Naim wanted to sell the end user quite a lot of the stuff too. The big thick burndy leads have always been expensive too, though as with most Naim interconnect leads, are absorbed into the asking price of the component. I’d argue that Naim actually drove the expensive cable market; they were there right from the very start. The only thing that has changed is that they have been eclipsed by purveyors of even more expensive bits of wire and the market has adapted and now accepts ‘audiophile’ pricing.

Tony.

TonyL, May 15, 2006
  4. zanash

RobHolt Moderator

Difficult to argue with any of that Tony.
    All I'd say is that I have a length of cable sourced direct from a supplier that is absolutely identical in every way to Naim's previous best line level interconnect in the world - the Lilac and it can be had for 70p per metre. Naim sold it (probably still do) din terminated for £50 IIRC. The new cable is £500 so forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of it's abilities at that price. I don't doubt that it is excellent, but excellence in cables can be had for a tenner.

Anyway, I have a distinct feeling of deja-vu posting this so it must be time for bed.

Night all.

RobHolt, May 15, 2006
Ask a Question