New digital front end

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BerylliumDust, Oct 12, 2004.

1. BerylliumDust

BerylliumDust WATCH OUT!!!

Come on Mike... Let me refresh you memory. You've always liked the glowing blue but when you changed to an optic digital cable you thought it was harsh without it... Why is that?

I understant what the glowing blue can do for an anemic system with Arcam amplification or transformers for volume control.

The Crafft's have the famous silk dome ESOTAR tweeter which is no doubt accurate within its range of operation but too silky for its own good... it rolls-off quicker than desirable.

The DAC64 isn't only agressive, it sounds compressed in comparision... not real.

BerylliumDust, Oct 14, 2004
  2. BerylliumDust

merlin

What about finding an old MMB style Dac? Offers the best of both worlds in theory. Something like an Accuphase DP91.

merlin, Oct 14, 2004
  3. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

First of all, the difference was very subtle. Secondly, the optical cable reduces noise from the transport which is something that can cause high end hash and agressiveness.

I'm mystified how you can change your opinion so radically from one day to the next. The day before you heard Tube Dude's CD202 I was listening to your DAC64 and the Yammy's and I thought it was harsh but you thought it sounded incredible. I'd like to hear this amazing modded CD202 one day but I can't believe it will be that different. Anyway, why, after hearing this modded 202 is the DAC64 suddenly worse than anything else out there when just the day before it was one of the best? Also, why aren't you looking for an old Philips CDP and getting Tube Dude to mod it for you instead of now randomly hunting around for anything but a DAC64? Surely that would be cheaper? What about your Meridian 507 that you're using as a transport - is that now suddenly better than the DAC64? I seem to remember that the DAC64 completely destroyed your Meridian when you first got it...

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 14, 2004
  4. BerylliumDust

Merlin,

I'll be trying the Accuphase DP75, which is from the same vein as the DP91. We'll see of what it is capable of under the Beryllium dust... the powerfull and only elixir of truth.

5. BerylliumDust

[Anyway, why, after hearing this modded 202 is the DAC64 suddenly worse than anything else out there when just the day before it was one of the best?]

Oh I see... I must apologize for my poor english, Michael. When I said it was worse than anything else out there I was referring to the 1K's, not the DAC64 (wrong but not the wrongest).

6. BerylliumDust

merlin

They are quite different although to me the sound differences are subtle. (I think Ian is right on this one)

Doesn't DP75 use six delta sigma converters in parallel to reduce conversion errors? The DP91 used 16 multibit converters per channel!!!!

merlin, Oct 14, 2004
  7. BerylliumDust

Merlin,

I'm talking about DP-75 not the more recent DP-75V...

8. BerylliumDust

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Me thinks your a candidate for an sacd 1 and the vacum tube mod my boy, those yammys won't know what hit em'.

wadia-miester, Oct 14, 2004
  9. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

[[ The day before you heard Tube Dude's ]]

Somebody is calling me!!!;)

[[ I'd like to hear this amazing modded CD202 one day but I can't believe it will be that different]]

Hi Michael, if you want to stay happy with your DAC (or CD)...please don't hear the "Crappy Tube Dude CD"...

Otherwise ,you can't tell ,that I haven't warned you...:)

Tube_Dude, Oct 14, 2004
  10. BerylliumDust

Wm,

My problem is I can't go back to the Craffts even with the wrong glowing blue. I miss the fast and alive sense I get with the Beryllium dust too much... forget ecstasy... all you need is just a sniff of that magic Beryllium dust and your mind will burst... into the music you'll go... cause your ears shall not be rust... oh mighty Beryllium dust.

11. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

I see, Vasco called in for backup :D . I'm back in Lisbon this weekend, I must make a trip up to Aveiro soon with my little silver box of blue LEDs . btw, I never said anything about a "crappy Tube Dude CD" - I'm sure it sounds excellent...but better than a DAC64? Hmmm... :rds2:

Michael.

PS: Bolas, parece que o Cda está a mudar-se para cá! :eek: :)

michaelab, Oct 14, 2004
  12. BerylliumDust

Croc

Eclipse IMO is good indeed - if you like its sound.
    i didn't.
    Meridian is for me.
    Sim kind of guys might no like old 588/508 models
    but G-08 might surprise you.

Croc, Oct 14, 2004
  13. BerylliumDust

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

BD,

Having owned them, (the yammys) I' certainly wouldn't own them again, for deciding on differenices in equipment and monitoring they are ok, but for music reproduction.
    You also need to stop sniffing the stuff it seems to cause you to speak in rythming slang.
    Mike, you should know by now the 64 being only an entry level digital replay device, most things are better. even tube cdp's

wadia-miester, Oct 14, 2004
  14. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

Hi Michael

You don't said....I said!

I'm ...I said! (Neil Diamond) :MILD:

PS: Pudera...o tempo no CDA esta de chuva.... :D

Tube_Dude, Oct 14, 2004
  15. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

Yes Mutley...hehehehehehehe. :MILD:

Tube_Dude, Oct 14, 2004
  16. BerylliumDust

Yes... yes. As always you are right... the 1K's and beryllium dust only sound right with good stuff!!!

17. BerylliumDust

Tube Dude,

The man from Candeias Engineering, Carlos Candeias, who is behind CEC realizations is the same Carlos Candeias that visited your house?

18. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

No...i think is not the same!

Jorge

Tube_Dude, Oct 15, 2004
  19. BerylliumDust

After another dose of the magical Beryllium dust all I can say is that Accuphase DP75 (the non "V" version) must be the best value in hi fidelity digital domain today, period.

If you can find one used don't hesitate, a true wonderful machine. And for those of you who are wondering... the answer is NO, there is NO harshness at all.

Liquid, smooth, big, I mean BIG, ultra fast and accurate sound... the MUSIC breathes like never before. This is definitely a keeper.

The truth was once more revelead before my ears... go on, take some Beryllium dust and have no fear!

BerylliumDust, Oct 15, 2004
  20. BerylliumDust

merlin

Interesting BD,

how would you say the Accuphase differs from the Chord in it's presentation?

merlin, Oct 15, 2004
Ask a Question