Of significant interest .....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanash

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

3DSonics, Oct 4, 2007
  2. zanash

michaelab desafinado

You obviously missed this part of Paul's post: "The claim that needs to be tested is that cables that are electrically equivalent sound different."

Electrically equivalent means with equivalent LCR characteristics.

Randi is merely asking anyone to prove that they can detect an audible difference between two cables which, according to known science, should sound the same . An entirely reasonable proposal.

Yes, that is the point of the challenge! People say they can hear a difference when science says none should exist. Randi is just saying "prove it". As I said above, an entirely reasonable proposal.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 4, 2007
  3. zanash

Hi,

I really hate to repeat myself, but I will do.

DEFINE EQUIVALENT.

A given samle of "tightly controlled, precision high frequency cable" is routinely subject to an accepted variance of +/- 10% in CI between samples which translates ultimatly into LCR parameters.

So, when is A equal to B and when are they different.

PLEASE DEFINE EQUIVALENCY in universally agreeable and accepted terms. (for the nth time in this thread).

AND NO, DO NOT WEASEL OUT OF THE REQUIREMENT OF DEFINITION OF TERMS.

ACTUALLY NO.

To quote:

" Well, we at the JREF are willing to be shown that these 'no-compromise' cables perform better than, say, the equivalent Monster cables. While Pear rattles on about 'capacitance,' 'inductance,' 'skin effect,' 'mechanical integrity' and 'radio frequency interface,' - all real qualities and concerns, and adored by the hi-fi nut-cases - we naively believe that a product should be judged by its actual performance, not by qualities that can only be perceived by attentive dogs or by hi-tech instrumentation."

In fact, the challenge by "The Great Randi" (the original stage name of this particular illusionist) supposedly allows differences in LCR parameters (which would BTB include the presence of 'network boxes' which after all only alter LCR parameters) and hence includes any numbers of phenmenae SCIENCE most ardently insists exist and are real.

What this particular illusionist is however confident of (and I would be equally, if I where was calling the shots) is that with in essence full control over any experiment AND with a serious agenda to support AND with sufficient funds gotten by decieving others (which one should remember was and is his mainstay) he can achieve in appearance whatever results he desires, which BTW any villigae idiot could as well, given similar resources, I forgot, the one called Shrub with the help of Blurr already did.

And I would remind again where this already has arrived, is taking bets and all that. It's gone to the Dogs.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take your bets gentlemen and enjoy the race.

Forgive me PLEASE for saying so, but either you could not be bothered to actually READ the smallprint in Randi's challenge (I mean the general one) or perhaps you are somewhat lacking in that department. I would most STRONGLY recommend to ANYONE, regardless of their views on the audibility of cables, or the reality of dowsing or pretty much ANY disputed subject to read the "T&C's" at the foundation of the Illusionist known as "the Great Randi" very carefully and to perhaps consult their laweyer.

I will leave it at that, let him who has ears hear, let him who has eyes see and let the rest remember that in the kingdom of the deaf/blnd one-eye and one-ear are joint kings....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 4, 2007
  4. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

Is your caplock broke or something? Maybe your taking it a wee bit too seriously.

ShinOBIWAN, Oct 4, 2007
  5. zanash

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

BTW, entries to the James Randi Foundation for the prize have to demonstrate some kind of media presence to warrant the debunking test. This is to cut down on their workload and give some way of sorting through the quantity of emails with only 4 employees, and make it worthwhile for the JRF to go to the trouble, IIRC.

SteveC, Oct 4, 2007
  6. zanash

cooky1257

Given the nature of the challenge and the associated caveats, and the fact there could be £500 000 on the line the very fact that they insist on 'electrically equivalent cables'(not splitting hairs for now)implies an acceptance on their part that cables that are not 'equivalent' do indeed sound different-ergo cables sound different-end of argument, debunkers go home.....:).

cooky1257, Oct 4, 2007
  7. zanash

Paul Ranson

Few dispute that you can make a cable that changes the frequency response and that that is audible. What is disputed is that if you make a cable that doesn't change the frequency response (IOW a good cable) then it sounds the same as every other good cable. The cable believers disagree.

Seems pretty straightforward. Why's it so difficult to agree on the disagreement? Do all the 'believers' actually agree with the 'naysayers'?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 4, 2007
  8. zanash

Hi,

You are aware that HiFi News sometime in the late 90's published one or two cable tests (I think Ben Duncan did the technical side) where they employed a null test (that is a test where the input to the cable is subtracted from the output and the remaining residue is by definition what the cable added or subtracted) and fully and accuratly compensated the LCR parameters of the cables under test?

Are you aware that the tests showed residue that was in many cases well above the hearing treshold and hence at least in principle potentially audible?

Just checking you know the facts.

Kind regards T

3DSonics, Oct 5, 2007
  9. zanash

Paul Ranson

I don't see any facts. Just anecdotes. Can you provide a reference for what is a profound result?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 5, 2007
  10. zanash

Hi,

Found it via google (as could you have had you more interrest in what is real rather then your own rethoric) being referenced in:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13662

Duncan, Ben & Harrison, Andrew;
    The Great Cable Test (parts 1-3), Hi-Fi News and Record Review, July - September 1999

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 5, 2007
  11. zanash

unclepuncle

God I just love these cable debates - the intellectual discourse, the point scoring, the put downs, the insults - it's bloody fantastic:)
    No honestly it is......:D

Groundhog day anyone!!!

unclepuncle, Oct 5, 2007
  12. zanash

Paul Ranson

I looked. I even browsed the articles index at the HFN web site.

I'm having some difficulty understanding the relevance of your AES cite. If the effect mentioned in the summary of that paper is the same discussed or demonstrated by Duncan and Harrison then it is surely not outside LCR?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 5, 2007
  13. zanash

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, if I went away and came back here in ten years time I know exactly who'd be posting and what about... :D

mr cat, Oct 5, 2007
  14. zanash

michaelab desafinado

As usual Thorsten you are losing the argument and thus resort to snide remarks such as suggesting Paul is "only interested in his own rhetoric" or questioning my ability to read. You then continue to flood your posts with straw man arguments and requesting things like a "definition of terms" which have already been given countless times.

In respons I'll just quote Paul's post above which puts it about as succinctly as possible:
    Leaving aside Randi's challenge, no-one has ever successfully demonstrated that they can tell apart two electrically equivalent cables (or, if you like, two cables with the same frequency response) under controlled conditions. If they had it would be ground-breaking science that we would all have heard about. The mere fact that there is even a dispute regarding cables is a good indicator that differences are either not audible or infinitessimal and therefore irrelevant. No one disputes that people can distinguish, for example, different loudspeakers. Even under controlled conditions which supposedly make it so difficult to detect differences. Those difficult controlled conditions imposed by the evil naysayers don't seem to affect people's ability to hear differences where they really do exist.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 8, 2007
  15. zanash

Hi,

I hate to be a stickeler for detail in the face of sweeping and brainless dismissal of basic physics in the interest of "winning" a point, however, as a cable that is completely free from any resistance, inductance and capacitance is not possible, ALL cables change frequency response to a certain degree.

So we still require a formal definition as to when this difference becomes too large for cables to be considered "electrically identical to the purpose of use as Speaker/Interconnect/etc Cable".

So I still demand formal definitions, backed by sufficient evidence, however inconvenient this may seem to those who wish to substitue charlatanism for science.

Again, this is a point of debate. Several documented and published tests exist that, when using a significance level suitable to sample size or a confidence interval (in other words good and proper statistics, instead of sensationalism) suggest audibility, but which fail the, in all cases inapproprite, .05 level of significance.

Hardly. Nonlinear effects in cables that exclude the direct consequences of LCR are documented and further some of those are in at least some cases sufficiently large to be well above the hearing treshold (that means sufficient in level to be not completely discarded by the ear/brain system) to be potentially audible. And no, no groundbreaking science is required either.

If the fact that a given thing or contention was disputed is proof that it is irelevant (which you seem to suggest) large chunks of well accepted physics have just been dismissed. Now THAT I would call ground-breaking science.

No-one disputes either that different lossy codecs can be distinguished and it is worth noting that some of those codecs leave less residue on a null test than some cables.

But of course, cables cannot have any audible differences, while lossy codecs of course can. Or so it would seem, if we take certain reasonings at face value.

I may be forgiven for disagreeing, however, it is time to agree to disagree, whenever people operate in the religeous mode, substituting facts with faith and believe arguing any given point, regardless of facts or evidence is perfectly moot.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 8, 2007
  16. zanash

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I am just going to throw a guess out here, but is 3d sonics perchance a cable merchant?

For sure shiny cables give men hardons. As its clear and evident from the fact no one can prove anything with regards to if these cables actually do anything, its probably best to look elsewhere as to why grown men whip themselves into a frenzy over them.

Now that would be interesting science.

garyi, Oct 8, 2007
  17. zanash

Stereo Mic

Thorsten,

Could you please stop wriggling so vigorously and produce something, anything, to justify your rather sad attempts to put down Michael and Paul's reasoning?

Stereo Mic, Oct 8, 2007
  18. zanash

anubisgrau

what's the weather like in tokyo, SM?

anubisgrau, Oct 8, 2007
  19. zanash

Dom_ --->

Dom_, Oct 8, 2007
  20. zanash

Hi,

Here a list of a few references to the subject.

Duncan, Ben & Harrison, Andrew; The Great Cable Test (part 1), Hi-Fi News and Record Review, July 1999, p.30-33, Vol. 44, #7

Duncan, Ben & Harrison, Andrew; The Great Cable Test (part 2), Hi-Fi News and Record Review, August 1999, p.32-41, Vol. 44, #8

Duncan, Ben & Harrison, Andrew; The Great Cable Test (part 2), Hi-Fi News and Record Review, September 1999, p.40-53, Vol. 44, #9

Lloyd, Jim and Overhauser, David; "Electromigration wreaks havoc on IC design.", EDN magazine (Electroninc Design News), march 25, 1998, p. 145-148

Duncan, Ben; "Loudspeaker cables, Case Proven", Proc. The Institute of Acoustics, UK, Nov '95.

Duncan, Ben; "Modelling cable", Electronics World (UK), Feb 96.

Duncan, Ben; "Measuring speaker cable differences", Electronics World (UK), June/July '96.

Hawksford, Malcolm Omar; "The Essex Echo", Hi-Fi News, Aug '85; Aug & Oct '86 & Feb '87.

Davis, Fred E.; "Effects of cable, Loudspeaker and Amplifier Interactions", JAES, Vol39, #6 Jun 91

Les Leventhal "Type 1 and Type 2 Errors in the Statistical Analysis of Listening Tests" (JAES, Vol.34 No.6)

Greiner, R.A.,"Amplifier-Loudspeaker Interfacing", JAES vol. 28, no. 5 May 80

Davis, Fred E., "Effects of cable, Loudspeaker and Amplifier Interactions", JAES, vol. 39, no. 6 Jun 91

Goudreau, Pete; "JPS Labs Superconductor Interconnects: A Technical Discussion", SoundStage, http://www.soundstage.com/articles/pete01.htm

Note: An interesting article on how mains connections and interconnect cables interact, also gives incidentally a good overview why mains cables can make an audible difference.

Jon Risch, "A User Friendly Methodology for
    Subjective Listening Tests", AES paper preprint #3178, presented at the 91st AES convention, October, 1991.

Thorsten Loesch "The Naked Truth about Speaker-Cables"
    TNT-Audio 1998 http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html

Thorsten Loesch "The Naked Truth about Interconnect Cables"
    TNT-Audio 1998 http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/intere.html

Thorsten Loesch - Various DIY Cable Recipies:
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ffrc_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ubyte2e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyce.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyce2.html
    http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tweaks&m=54462
    http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86460&postcount=1

This should give a nice start to reading.

L8er T

3DSonics, Oct 9, 2007
Ask a Question