Old v new

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MickyP, Jun 9, 2004.

1. MickyP

Hodgesaargh

Yes I think the NVA cost about £500 or so.

Hodgesaargh, Jun 9, 2004
  2. MickyP

MickyP

Hmmm, if it was £500-ish, then it would have been twice the price of my Carver anyway! I'll sleep better now.

My money's on the Carver screwing things up. I'll report back. Thanks everyone again. Most helpful.

MickyP, Jun 9, 2004
  3. MickyP

Bob McC living the life of Riley

To use your record cleaning fluid either

a) Buy a vacuum record cleaning machine
    or
    b) make a vacuum record cleaning machine (like I did)
    or
    c) apply it with one of those velvet record cleaner pad things and wait for it to dry.

Bob

Bob McC, Jun 9, 2004
  4. MickyP

MickyP

Hi

Back from Grahams, which was sort of helpful. They knew my kit, but the sound quality and performance of the Carver was a grey area, which I figured it would be. They did suggest that CD player performance has improved from the days of the Arcam Alpha 7 and suggested a better machine, and using the NVA, which was around £500 when new. They said, too, that the speaker thump when you turn it on is nowt to worry about. Still don't like it, though. And that the DNM cables would have flattered the amp's performance. Also that it had no protection.

So brownie points for everyone who contributed to my original appeal, as you were spot on.

I'm thinking of throwing an integrated amp at it and a new CD player and using my old Arcam in my 'acquired' system with the NVA, as the Denon there skips tracks and things. Two final questions, though:

Any views on the Roksan Kandy integrated amp and CD player?

And:

Will using a CD cleaner help with a player that skips tracks, etc?

MickyP, Jun 10, 2004
Ask a Question