Preamp advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hotpipes, Oct 13, 2006.

1. hotpipes

hotpipes

"a ppre-amp, at present a good bargain is a musical fidelity X-PRE-V3, witch i have left for £325.00"

thanks but quite like idea of passive pre, can't seem to find one with tape loop though

improvement with the bryston and ob1 was vast compared to alpha 9 pwr and mission speakers I was using, even with using alpha 9 intergrated as a pre
    I am doubting that with another pre I will hear a dramatic improvement, am I right? so unsure how much to spend

cheers
    Richard

hotpipes, Oct 14, 2006
  2. hotpipes

penance Arrogant Cock

I feel the need to DIY again, I have a stepped attenuator and input selector switch, is that about it for a passive?

(I dont think it will better my BC Pre1, but should cost bugger all and keep me off the street corners for a while longer).

penance, Oct 14, 2006
  3. hotpipes

Richard Dunn

Sorry if this is seen as promotion but the nva P50 has tape loop.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Oct 14, 2006
  4. hotpipes

hifi addict

Pe amps can make a huge difference. I would suggest trying out a few before you dig into your pockets. We all have suggestions, but as always hifi is sooooo subjective.

hifi addict, Oct 14, 2006
  5. hotpipes

joel Shaman of Signals

We certainly like to think it does.

joel, Oct 14, 2006
  6. hotpipes

penance Arrogant Cock

If it didnt, why would we worry about what pre amp to use, after all it is electronics ;)

penance, Oct 14, 2006
  7. hotpipes

joel Shaman of Signals

We worry because because we're audiofools. Most people don't hear a difference.
    Can you hear the difference between a track that has been recorded onto a Studer and one that has been recorded onto an Otari, or between Neve consoles (and there sits one huge olephunt in the audio kitchen)?
    I can't.
    I do, however, own a very expensive preamplifier :)

[​IMG]

joel, Oct 15, 2006
  8. hotpipes

penance Arrogant Cock

Absolutely, but its a nice game to play.
    I dont think my pre is as expensive as your own, but i am part of the Meadowlark Mafia.

penance, Oct 15, 2006
  9. hotpipes

Markus S Trade

Yes ... that I can't try one. It seems to be vaporware so I thought I'd be better off waiting for the 6.0 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006
    Markus S, Oct 15, 2006
  10. hotpipes

anubisgrau

i have no experience if bryston power amps match with nelson pass preamps, but i have just spent a few days with a very good preamp - pass labs X2.5

it sounds supremely neutral - to the point it sounds like a beefy passive pre - with scary detail and control.

with my ATC 20A and a number of digital sources, from £30 DVD player to £1000 quad CDP-2, i couldn't detect any obvious colorations as it was with my last weekend electrocompaniet pre experience.

it has all the resolution and detail and still somehow escapes to sound completely dry as so many big US products sound to me (krell, mark levinson, to name a few) - whenever i think it could be a bit warmer, it somehow reassures me with its authoritative yet organic and relaxed tone.

i read comments on some US sites that it is a dark sounding product, valve-like etc.... it's mere bu****it as guys obviously have problems somewhere else.

what i could maybe address is that it doesn't sound 101% involving and emotional, however it could be that i am still under that impression from EC pre that sounded very sweet and inviting, but coloured.

the piece is offered to me for 2,000E and it is understatement to say i'm tempted, but i need to sell my cary pre first.

anubisgrau, Oct 15, 2006
Ask a Question