Puresound A30 amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tarzan, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Tarzan

Anthony

I currently own an A30 which displaced a PrimaLuna Two I had owned for a year.

I had noticed that over time I had been listening to only a subset of all the music I owned. Anything faster paced was slowly gathering dust.

I find the A30 to be equally adept at techno as it is with slow burning ballads as it is with classical (and this was running the A30 in 18W Triode mode as well as 30W Ultralinear when comparing to the PL)

To my ears the PL also had a slightly more harsh top end when turning the volume up, and the bass was much less controlled. The A30 has none of these issues, boogieing along nicely when required and not getting a bit spitty when loud. I also find that music through the A30 sounds more natural, the PL adding some sort of similar euphonic character to everything (many people like this euphony however and so do I to an extent).

Others have noted that the A30 isn't as good as some other amps with regards the size of the soundstage, but I find it decent in this respect and it isn't one of my key criteria. To others this aspect is very important.

I ran the PL, and now run the A30, into some Living Voice speakers which are easy to drive.

As you can tell I am very happy with it, but that is just because it presents music in a way I like. I don't claim it is the best thing since sliced bread and beats all other contenders into a pulp because hifi system preferences are so varied and individual. Worth a demo though, alongside some other decent valve amps to see which one floats your boat :)

oh - i haven't heard them into Harbeths so can't help there unfortunately, but if they are reasonably easy to drive and a PrimaLuna has no trouble driving them then you should have no issues with the A30. Will they work well as a pair for you? Well, only you can answer that.

Anthony, Oct 4, 2007
Ask a Question