Racks

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by griffo104, Oct 4, 2005.

1. griffo104

aquapiranha

Ha ha! you know me only too well, keep it a secret between just us two like we agreed....x

aquapiranha, Oct 5, 2005
  2. griffo104

Stereo Mic

Bollox you deaf old lunatic :moony:

Stereo Mic, Oct 5, 2005
  3. griffo104

Garmt

Compared with a Wadia 861, it must be worse in dynamics and bass, but I guess it is still more dynamic and has better bass than 99% of other players.

Just translating for WM... :)

Garmt, Oct 5, 2005
  4. griffo104

Garmt

Which one? What DAC chipset?

:D Which ones do you have right now? Own design?

Garmt, Oct 5, 2005
  5. griffo104

Stereo Mic

Hi garmt,

I had a good listen to a Wadia 861. Left me unimpressed I'm afraid, exceptional in one or two areas but merely passable in others. And that's what I don't like, a product that you can break down and spot it's weaknesses. It lacks a coherent presentation, essential to the recreation of the original event. The CD7 was, in my system and room I should add, far better at presenting the music as a whole entity.

WM would no doubt disagree but then I would expect nothing else - his personal tastes and expectations are somewhat leftfield for me.

Stereo Mic, Oct 5, 2005
  6. griffo104

anon_bb Honey Badger

Left field? Is there such a thing in hifi? I guess I must be the audio equivalent of a trotskyite then ... or an audio anarchist!

libertie! fraternatie! egalitie!

:chop:

anon_bb, Oct 5, 2005
  7. griffo104

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Single crown dac & the CS8412 reciever chip. stock psu
    I've got 2 in various states of tune also, I just need to reaquaint myself with it away from the hype.

wadia-miester, Oct 6, 2005
  8. griffo104

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I would strongly disagree here, the one thing that the Wadia does is totally glue the whole picture together with a sort of rightness, that you find in all but the very best digital front ends.
    I would not disagree with this statement, as we all have our own personally preferences, though I would add, Stereo mic's views are ultra far right in hifi terms. THhough not in the same Galaxy as Sideshow Bob's taste in music which is, in essence, 'Outer Rim'

wadia-miester, Oct 6, 2005
  9. griffo104

eric_audio

How far does the Wadia 830 fall short of the 861? Would the "p" (power) upgrade (just released by Wadia for the 830 and 301) really improve the 830's performance? Having that upgrade built in by the Wadia distributor would cost about £ 535, no idea if that would be worth the money....

eric_audio, Oct 16, 2005
  10. griffo104

eric_audio

The 830 is back on its simple wooden shelf in the simple cupboard. It sounded better on the floor! I think I would need a Pagode wallmount shelf or so. Putting a good rack in the room is impossible (WAF).

eric_audio, Oct 16, 2005
  11. griffo104

Garmt

Hi Eric! Maybe a more cheap solution wall mount would be good enough. I am still trying to find the 'perfect' support for my turntable, it's now on a Rega wall bracket with thick slab of beech plywood underneath it. Any suggestions for improvement? I am thinking of putting all my equipment on multiple Rega wall brackets.

[​IMG]

Garmt, Oct 17, 2005
  12. griffo104

eric_audio

I'll consider it Garmt. Surely my CD player doesn't get the treatment it deserves at the moment.
    Although I bought him a nice power cord recently ;)

eric_audio, Oct 17, 2005
  13. griffo104

Garmt

Anyone? Mana perhaps?? :)

Garmt, Oct 18, 2005
  14. griffo104

Markus S Trade

Are you aware of the new Pagode wall brackets? Pricey (they make Mana look cheap), but reputed to be rather good.

Markus S, Oct 18, 2005
  15. griffo104

Garmt

Yes, I know them, but I find them much too expensive at €895 for the Signature and €1700 for the Reference... :eek:

Garmt, Oct 18, 2005
  16. griffo104

Carl

Expensive and huge 654 * 655 !

Carl

Carl, Oct 18, 2005
  17. griffo104

ditton happy old soul

... in comparing Mana and Hutter.

KennyK, I'm now a delivery and an assemble away from hearing music through my kit placed on Hutter. I deferred replying until seller had my money and stands had been collected.

My kit (below) is presently on a basic Mana 4 tier, with the belcanto evo4 placed on an Aularlex amp mat (as it wont fit on the Mana). On reflection I could try perching the evo4 on top shelf of the Mana stand but its demanding wrt speaker wire length.

I am a susceptible sceptic, a subjective with decidedly objective leanings. I doubt that I will have 'findings', certainly not ones that will cut much ice with those who have other opinions/judgment.

Alanbeeb has offered to pop over and confirm that I have made the right choice in buying the Hutter. Will let yuo know what I think though, perhaps independent of the counselling that Alanbeeb has promised me.
    see
    https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=10648

ditton, Oct 23, 2005
Ask a Question