re-discovering radio as source

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Jul 17, 2004.

?

major music source

1. FM radio

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. DAB radio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. other digi-radio

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. CD

26 vote(s)
    70.3%
  5. Vinyl

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. other - pl specify

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. ditton

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Strangely enough, I roughly listen to 50/50 DAB (through a telewest digibox (been tweeked and uses our top digital cable (waste maybe?, but it least it matches ) digital spdif output), Planet rock/local Star FM/Radio 2 when I'm working around the house, it gets channelled through the a/v dac and through the main amp/speakers, sound pretty good for Radio,but absolutely no comparision to the cdp. Great back ground music
    However I agree with a lot of the guys here a decent analogue tuner is the tops, I do listen to a more radio than I used too. Wm

wadia-miester, Jul 19, 2004
  2. ditton

samurai

started with a denon 260 (25 euro), together with a fanfare fm2g antenna on top of the roof. 18 meters expensive rb6 wire(together 150 euro), via a rega interconnect 1 meter into rega cursa-double exon. on the other side a decoder(99 euro, also tv), which is a digital signal via the cable, so not a satellite but quality roughly the same, and 5 meter rega interconnect to the cursa.
    the differences after comparing a lot, are zero. And this after all those holes trough walls, ordering from america to holland, making a good solid connection for the roof. and the decoder was around the cornershop...
    only the fanfare could be positioned higher, now it is surrounded by many roofs. But decoder has remote control and 70 radio stations. only thing is you cant watch dig. tv (without sound) and tuner.
    ________
    box vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
    samurai, Jul 20, 2004
  3. ditton

lbr monkey boy

I've got a Troughline III, fitted with a decoder from Graham Tricker -

http://www.gtaudio.com/home.html

Haven't heard the emporium decoder, so can't give any comparison, but I can say that the GT Audio decoder does the job nicely without any nasty impact on the character of the tuner.

lbr, Jul 20, 2004
  4. ditton

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

How much did Graham charge for the conversion?

Ive had Graham do some work for me before, and it was very well done.

Theres no disputing his expertise with valve equipment.

I swapped to another repairer when his quotes skyrocketed though - he wanted 1,000 to re-wire an amp with silver cable!!!!!!!!!!! (yeah right).. I think I paid 60 quid in the end...

bottleneck, Jul 20, 2004
  5. ditton

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Jul 20, 2004
  6. ditton

lbr monkey boy

About £250 if memory serves me well. That was for an internal fit-it-yourself kit.

lbr, Jul 21, 2004
  7. ditton

michaels

hi all i have denon 3802 av reciever and found using the denons internal tuner with cdm1nts the sound regardless of which station being played was always rather bright/aggressive sounding, using sky pace digibox it sounded even worse, even using sky with arcam a85 did not really improve things.

i now have dynaudio 62 and still find internal tuner a bit bright, it does improve however if i have left the amp running for a period of time.

i purchased 2nd hand denon tu tuner and found the sound was slightly fuller and more natural sounding especially with voices /vocals not a big differance but its there . my intention was to use tu with dedicated integrated amp

michaels, Jul 21, 2004
  8. ditton

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Ditton
    Imagine how much better your fm tuner will be when you use a proper aerial instead if the wet string currently being used.
    Bob

Bob McC, Jul 21, 2004
  9. ditton

BlueMax

I have a Freeview box connected to amp through a DAC. During the Proms, I experimented switching between FM tuner and Freeview TV. TV sound was almost as good as the FM Tuner.

Because of the time shift between FM radio and TV transmissions, I settled on TV sound and was happy.

Does anyone know the bit rate for BBC 4 sound ?!

BlueMax, Jul 21, 2004
Ask a Question