recomendations for cd isolation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Dec 15, 2004.

1. taz

mosfet

I think I've got the gist of Mr Margolis's explanation some of which makes sense and some of which (to use an Americanism) is pure baloney.

He seems to have wrongly understood the principle of conservation of energy and has interpreted its meaning as an ability to hold on to or 'conserve' energy in one form. This is wrong and if it were the case for Superballs they wouldn't bounce at all!

Superballs are particularly good at turning kinetic energy into potential energy with less elastic losses of a conventional rubber ball. That's why the buggers bounce so high!

Whether this property could be used to good effect under a loudspeaker (as the Margolis theory goes) to reflect energy “against itself†thereby causing phase cancellation is interesting but a little wobbly. Certainly underneath a CDP or any other vibration sensitive component it's a bad idea.

mosfet, Jan 3, 2005
  2. taz

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Let's be quite clear here. This was not my theory or my explanation but that of Mark Gdovin, a contributor to Stereophile, who first proposed the use of superballs for hi-fi. That's why I printed Mark's words above in blue.

I have already said that I don't have any idea why superballs work as well as they seem to.

I agree with your comments on superballs turning kinetic energy into potential energy with a high degree of efficiency. However, I should add:

1. Mr. Gdovin didn't propose the use of superballs under speakers - that was my idea. He just proposed their use under equipment. I would add that any discussion of what damping or coupling should be used under hi-fi equipment must be tempered by the coupling between the speakers and the floor and the type of flooring. In any particular setup, are we trying to stop vibrations reaching the equipment or drain vibrations from it?

2. I believe I'm right in saying that Mr. Gdovin also used superballs under microscopes. Apparently, the laboratory was close to a road and the microscopes were rendered useless every time a lorry went by - until superballs.

Hey Mosfet, don't blame me, man. I'm only the messenger. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
    7_V, Jan 3, 2005
  3. taz

mosfet

Sincerest apologies Steve.

I shall go and flagellate myself with a power cord for my mistake!
    :SWMBO:

mosfet, Jan 3, 2005
  4. taz

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Well, remove the plug first. It wasn't THAT bad.

7_V, Jan 3, 2005
  5. taz

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Most excellent idea

wadia-miester, Jan 3, 2005
  6. taz

ListeningEar

Actually the UK representative for Stillpoints was Derek Wilson at Overkill Audio. We were going to handle the distribution of all the Stillpoints products at one stage but one of the issues we had was stopping UK buyers being able to buy from the USA and avoiding the appointed UK distriution chain.
    I know Derek still had quite a bit of the ERS paper the last time we spoke but not sure what he is doing with the Stillpoints and Risers right now.
    There was talk of UK buyers having to buy through the German distributor if Derek stopped.

ListeningEar, Jan 6, 2005
  7. taz

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I believe a lot of Guys get them through another European dealer, at a better rate :)

wadia-miester, Jan 6, 2005
  8. taz

penance Arrogant Cock

I tried to contact Overkill about ERS and got no reply. TBH, i wouldnt bother with buying from a UK based stockists, prices are way to inflated.

penance, Jan 6, 2005
Ask a Question