Retirement hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Cloth-Ears, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Tenson, to clarify what I meant : I meant that when the Cats take over we will be obliged out of respect to sleep in baskets. They will make sure that production of baskets is prioritised. So the prophesy says, "After the nuclear war, Cats will know what to do. Man will serve Cat and we will all sleep in a basket." It is written and so it will be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
    Cloth-Ears, Jul 1, 2005
  2. Cloth-Ears

rsand I can't feel my toes

All this cat talk has me worried will they neutre us guys? :eek:

Personally Roksan are not what they were. They used to tink out the box and come up with some serious bits of kit like the rok cd transport, xeres TT and ojan speakers but since becoming part of cyrus (?) their products are more mass market low end products with little of the original thinking that made them what they were.

Ii had caspian int with powers and it was nothing special IMO, although fitting into an AV sysem will always be awkward. I too have just about reached my hi-fi nirvana/retirement with a pair of ESL988's driven by II40's, the only thing in the ballance is the copland cdp which is responding rather well after a few mods so will probably now stay too.

Meridian do music and av systems rather well IMO if you like the mellow presentation of the music?

rsand, Jul 1, 2005
  3. Cloth-Ears

RSC

I meant here in 2005, by which time the chips and so forth had developed somewhat. Thats no comment on the amplification, which is pretty static. My idea is to have long term quality "retirement" amps for music which I'd also use with more of the same kind but second hand amps for AV, with an up to date processor slotted in, particularly one which allows card changes and software updates, or just quite regularly change the processor if need be.

OK, I see what you mean now! I went Roksan because: 1). 6 channel "thru-put" allows DVD-A/SACD/DTS/DD decoding from within DVD player or whatever comes next... (only room for 5 'speakers);
    2). I wanted to reduce the box count: I have previously run a mono amp on each 'speaker, with a high-spec. processor... the lady didn't like that...;
    3).On audition, I found it sounded pretty good, in a somewhere-between-Naim-and-Exposure kind of way (I use Exp. 4 and 18 stereo, bi-amped);
    Just my viewpoint, of course...
    Oh, and RSAND, I think you'll find Roksan have been independent of Mission/Cyrus for 5-6 years now... Tufan and Touraj are running the show. Like the look of your system, BTW: would be a great listen, I have no doubt...

RSC, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Cloth-Ears

Joe

Some people enjoy swapping stuff around in search of a 'perfect sound' but IMO if you can find something that meets your needs relatively easily and painlessly then go for it.

Of course I myself am on precisely the opposite path; having lived happily with basically the same system for seven years I'm currently faffing about with valve amps, auditioning speakers and generally succumbing to audio nervosa.

Joe, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Joe, I might well have the top amp from Affordable Valve Company for sale if I get the Exposure set-up. The valve amp is not going to be practical for me. Its got enourmous transformers, an attractive shiny metal case, running with expensive Svetlana KT 88 valves and is triode connected, about 18 months old. They sell for £1400 new and the maker claims its built and sounds like something much much more expensive. I reckon I agree. I think you need a bit of interest in how to maintain these models as there is a bit of a controversy regarding Mr. Lim and his bizarre lack of interest in supporting anything other than that bought directly from him. But, Joe, this, the KT88 High End, is the nicest, most insightful amp I've ever heard. I say that while presently owning Exposure 17 and 18 and until recently an Audio Innovations Series 500 valve amp, I can tell even though I'm presently using just cheap AE Evo 3 speakers. It is gorgeous but as I've been explaining I want one integrated system and besides I don't need that valve hassle I mentioned. Its in really good condition. Would you or anyone else be interested ?

Cloth-Ears, Jul 1, 2005
  6. Cloth-Ears

Joe

Not me personally, as I've not long ago bought a Border Patrol power amp from Bottleneck which I'm very happy with (replacing an Exposure amp, ironically enough). My current quest is for speakers that will do the BP justice, and I can feel several sets of hands on my back pushing me towards one of the Living Voice range.

Joe, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

I was just thinking that - Living Voice. Anyone else think they might want to try the AVC amp? At a low second hand price you can get access to the high end on the cheap. Or, you learn from this KT88 Triode as to what you like on your road to hifi retirement and being able to pass it on at a similar price.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 1, 2005
  8. Cloth-Ears

Tenson Moderator

Why not place it in the private adds section?

Tenson, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Cloth-Ears

RSC

Cloth-Ears,
    Will soon have Exp. 18 stereo and 4 available: please PM me, if interested...

RSC, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Cloth-Ears

titian

I'm just completing my retirement system with a fully professionally acoustic treated room.
    My only worries are to be able to maintain the system at this level. Since some of the main components are not any more been produced and no service is available I'm looking also for spare parts.
    Learning how to fix my valve components will not at all harm me, I suppose. :rolleyes:

titian, Jul 2, 2005
  11. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Well actually the high valve amp voltages might !

Cloth-Ears, Jul 3, 2005
Ask a Question