[Review] Densen DeMagic demagnetising CD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Nov 29, 2003.

1. tones

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Easy this one Stu, just buy an awia midi system, as our ears are obviously been hoodwinked by our brains, so now you can be sure in this safe knowledge, that selling your current set up, & purchasing a midi systen for around £299, you won't be ripped off, and with the money thus recouped from the sale of your current hifi, a nice long holiday can gained away from the corruption of rip-off hifi britain :) I salute you sir on this stunning discovery. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 8, 2003
  2. tones

stebbo

Wadia

I am more than happy with my stuff thanks

But would you pay 1700 quid for a power cord?

stebbo, Dec 8, 2003
  3. tones

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Stu, I agree with the over pricing thing no quibble :) However I would make my own, although only one power chord I would consider for the cdp (If I didn't use my mains curcirty & our own power chords) would cost £1k used, and I know it gives the preformance, but as you say hard to justify. I could go into a responce, but you'd just find som other reason to dis credit it, but I do understand your postion. Wm

wadia-miester, Dec 8, 2003
  4. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Stebbo makes an interesting point and one that I, with my inability to hear the miraculous effect (or indeed any effect) from Mana, or Eupen power cords or now the DeMagic disc, have often mulled - the fact that we hear what we want to hear. As he says, we have a brain (well, most of us, we'll exclude the current incumbents of the White House and similar folks) and of course sound exists only in the brain, not in the atmosphere outside. It's the brain that analyses the vibrations at the eardrum and converts them into what we hear. The fact that we all hear differently means that this is where it all happens - it may have nothing to do with the equipment or the tweak. Does anyone know of any studies into this sort of thing?

tones, Dec 8, 2003
  5. tones

Andrew L Weekes

Funny you should mention this, I'm currently trialling this on my old Citroen ZX diesel.

A couple of old Neodymium magnets from a hard drive head actuator are currently strapped to the fuel lines, in a less-than-ideal location, if the various resources I've read are true.

The first full tank's operation has shown a 3-4% improvement in economy, but I need more results to confirm that it wasn't another factor at work.

A colleague at work claims a 5% improvement on his Clio.

If the above is repeatable, I need some more magnets to fit 1 per injector feed, which is supposedly the best position for low-pressure diesels.

Sorry to wander off-topic for a bit ;)

Andy.

Andrew L Weekes, Dec 8, 2003
  6. tones

Andrew L Weekes

Interesting debate

I think the bulk of the problem is too many people feeling the need to justify their products with science, in order to add weight and subtance.

Let's face it, it's human nature to ask 'why', we start doing it at a very young age, but I do wish more views were put forward as theories, rather than absolutes.

As for the specifics here, I've heard the effects of the non-linearities introduced by magnetic components in the signal path, and these are to me audible. I've also seen evidence of the measurability of the effect too. As to whether components can become magnetised, I would have thought this was feasible, whether it makes things sound worse, I don't know.

Maybe those that heard little difference have systems with few magnetic components in the signal path?

I've also used the 'Auric Illuminator' a pen + bottle of blue liquid (+ cleaning cloths) for treating some CD's. I was sceptical but a comparison between two identical disc showed a very clear improvement.

Even more interesting was the visible effect on DVD's, which I found most surprising - there was a noticeable improvement in subtle tones within pictures (e.g. a brick walls became more complex in colour and texture).

Andy.

P.S. I did make my own 'De-magic' disc a while back, just generated some wideband noise in an audio package and slowly decayed the volume to emulate the effect of a conventional demagnetisation process.

I don't remember being stunned by the effect, which could mean more than one thing :)

7. tones

michaelab desafinado

The phrase "we hear what we want to hear" cuts both ways. If tweakers are prone to hear changes where there are none then sceptics are just as prone to not hear a difference when there is one just because they believe passionately that there shouldn't be one.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2003
  8. tones

notaclue

Of course, double blind testing would be the best way to sort this out i.e. whether there is a genuine difference of people just imagine a difference because they know that something has changed.

Before scientists are called in to investigate and discover 'unknown' concepts, a few double blind tests may be slightly more sensible!

notaclue, Dec 8, 2003
  9. tones

Interesting. As a chemist by training, my tendency is immediately to reject any such ideas, hydrocarbon molecules not only being non-magnetic but also non-polar by their very nature. This sounds like the sort of thing that could only be proven or disproven on a test bed with an engine running at constant rate - has anyone ever done this? Add in the variabilities inherent in everyday driving and 5% change in fuel consumption may be due to normal factors. I record the fuel consumption of every tankful I use in my bog-standard Opel Astra, and I'm surprised at how the fuel consumption varies - 5% represents the difference between 38 and 40 mpg, and I frequently get figures with a wider spread than that (discounting long Autobahn runs and heavy traffic). I'd take a lot of convincing on this!

tones, Dec 8, 2003
  10. tones

Andrew L Weekes

Tones

I drive about 30,000 miles a year at my own expense :(

I have figures for almost every fuel fill I've ever done, the antiquated technology in the ZX gives me 47-49MPG on a consistent basis, almost irrespective of the speeds I do, the only exception being the week during a fuel crisis where I managed 60MPG, by being very boring.

The last fill returned 51MPG which is an unusual figure based on 3 years or so of history with this car.

Time will tell, longer term, whether this was a freak figure.

Andy.

11. tones

...which is what I've already said above, Michael. I've no hesitation in accepting that the "fault" (if it can be described as such) could be mine, and that I'm not hearing things because I subconsciously don't want them to be there. This means, of course, that they aren't there, as far as I'm concerned. We all live in our individual aural realities and they are all different. In which case, it is incumbent on the manufacturers and distributors of these products to add the necessary caveats.

Much of the advertising is slanted to the enthusiast, who sees the possibility of making an upgrade by buying a demagnetising CD or a green pen. I confess, the idea that I could make my system sound better relatively simply appealed enormously. This is when I tried Mana, with the results published elsewhere. So now, having tried and failed with Eupen and DeMagic, I've given up tweaking (although I confess I am tempted to buy a green pen for a trial...)

tones, Dec 8, 2003
  12. tones

stebbo

I also do not wish to go down the power cable route.

there are so many variables anyway. my mains supply is different to yours the Supply in the component wil have an operating environment that could be different to other components etc etc.
    you can always measure your main supply and see how it varies.
    Then compare it to the operating parameters of the power supply in your components, that is if you can find the data of course. That is also, if you wish to save money on not buying something you dont need.

The green pen and deMagic are not expensive so whilst i have no intention of buying, there cost is for most of us not important
    Now when someone charges 1700+ quid for a power cable I am think things like... profiteering! Rip of central. very Nice car for the salesman

My company sells a 1040 watt power supply for a mid range product for less than that. We are a premium priced brand with an army of salesman, sales managers etc etc to pay. That is before discount.

For me I would rather spend 1700 pounds extra on an amp or speakers.

Ho hum!

stebbo, Dec 8, 2003
  13. tones

penance Arrogant Cock

seems like the conclusion has been reached

if your happy to pay the cash, and feel it is worth it, then there's no harm done

else, buy some music ;)

penance, Dec 8, 2003
  14. tones

stebbo

Blimey
    That is two agreements in one day..:rolleyes:

stebbo, Dec 8, 2003
  15. tones

penance Arrogant Cock

people will start talking:rolleyes:

penance, Dec 8, 2003
  16. tones

mike lacey Akiverer

I used a Densen disk today, in my car CDP and at home.

IMO, it most definately helped in the car, and I think it has at home ( Rega Planet/82/Supercap/135s. )

Even The Nagger and my 9 year old daughter thought it improved the sound - and The Nagger is an Uber Sceptic.

Regards

Mike

mike lacey, Mar 20, 2004
  17. tones

marcd51

It Does Work !!!!

Yes it does work I have a Denon 3805 and Arcam CD93T cd player and defiantly makes quite a difference in improvement in sound , vocals are far cleaner and clearer and bass is far tighter and treble or top's rather are fresher and sharper so are volacls so the CD does work !!!!

To support the other guy...... There are plenty of people out there that have this CD and 50% it works and 50% it does not work so I am one of those people in the 50% it did work on my system I run it once a week or every two weeks or so and I have tried experiments with out using it for a week or two and then re-running it and yes there is defiantly an improvement in sound quality ,so my £10 was well spent in my opinion and I am not imagining things either .. My system is around 18 months old .

:MILD: :D

marcd51, Dec 20, 2005
  18. tones

Steven Toy

The demag disc works by buffing up the sound a bit. The green ink pen works on certain CD PLAYERS but not on others...

Steven Toy, Dec 27, 2005
Ask a Question