[Review] Omiga Audio - Digital Interconnects

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by HenryT, Jul 5, 2003.

1. HenryT

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Osama, it's very difficult trying tred a fine line, between saying, 'X' is better than 'Y', esecially when you make 'X', also we test an awful lot of other peoples equipment, and if we were 'seriously ballsy enough' we could say it's bollox buy the stuff we make, so we don't try and play up to anything, a lot of our views are 'our views' and differ from lots of others.
    We also respect the forum rules. simiualry after we have accquired data on other 'gear' you will notice, we never 'name it', other than our common views on certain manufactures (which have been known well before Omiga was started)
    Subjectivity is broad church, one mans meat is another man's posion, we just don't blow our own trumpets here, not the done thing, if people feel our products are good, then thats different.
    We do also help a lot people with advice on a wide range of hifi realted topic's. so that's our reason as to why it's been this way. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 10, 2003
  2. HenryT

osama Perenially Bored

OK fine WM, I understand that. That may only mean you're too humble to make claims for the products you make and I personally like that in a person.

So, frankly speaking, if you'd do me the honor of answering my query to Henry, which one between the two would you say is better? Or would you just suggest that i get the answer for this from somebody else?

regards

osama, Aug 10, 2003
  3. HenryT

michaelab desafinado

I believe your query is regards Omiga Liberator vs. Townshend DCT300 - since one is a digital cable and the other an analogue one there's nothing to compare.

I can say however that after a home trial of the Omiga Liberator (balanced) it is a fabulous digital IC. Certainly beats my current LAT DI-20 balanced - it is however, more than double the price of the LAT so it's not entirely surprising :)

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 10, 2003
  4. HenryT

Osama, would you be as so good as to give me your system and preference for music or hifi.
    I used use the DCT 300 as an anaolgue I/c up until last Xmas, when I was enlightened as to what I was missing, the Isolda speaker cable is the same stuff. I personaly feel it makes a better speaker cable than an I/c.
    We have used the isoldas as a digital I/c, as has Henry, WE use a £750 reference as a bench mark in the Liberator class, nothing comes close for very tigh controlled and timed bass, great coherence and clean top end, with improved dynamics and life over many a quality well known digital cables.
    I do personally use our own cables in my system, (not all though)
    The isolda has a tendency in a I/C to give a more boom and tizz presentation, with mid band being some what squeezed, that's my opinion.
    However a lot depends on equipmnent and musical presentation. WM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2003
  5. HenryT

osama Perenially Bored

Michael, in the Omiga website there were mentions of RCA versions for all the three models.

WM, my humble set up: Roksan Caspian Integrated and Power amps, Quad 306 power amp, Marantz CD-17KIS, Kimber 8TC & 4TC speaker cables, Van den Hul D102MKIII, VDH first ultimate & Kimber PBJ (DC treated at Frozen Solid) interconnects. Speakers are now replaced by B&W 602 S3s(I prefer them than the CDM 1NTs). System is bi-amped, with the Caspian integrated serving as pre-amp only(what a waste!).

It's quite a mixed bag but somehow they sing pretty well. I'm satisfied with the kimbers for now, though I've contemplated before on trying the electrofluidics monolith instead of the townshend. So now I'd like to experiment with the ics.

I listen to quite a mixed bag of music also: Female vocals, instrumental jazz like guitars with minimalist accompaniment, slow rock, pop, but unfortunately,
    no classical :rolleyes:(forgive me GrahamN).

regards

osama, Aug 10, 2003
  6. HenryT

michaelab desafinado

Yes - RCA (phono) terminated digital interconnects as opposed to balanced (XLR) ones. RCA is a connector type and has nothing to do with being digital or analogue ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 10, 2003
  7. HenryT

osama Perenially Bored

OK, now it's clearer. Thanks for that. So obviously they wouldn't work with my set-up. My Marantz has digi out though, but my amps have no digi input unfortunately. Shoot, maybe I need to start thinking of replacing now my amps and cdp with ones that have digi in and XLR input also.

regards

osama, Aug 10, 2003
  8. HenryT

michaelab desafinado

osama - here's the deal with digital ICs:

They go between a digital source (such as a CDP, DVD player, DAB radio etc) and a digital to analog converter (DAC). DACs can either be standalone (like my Chord DAC64) or integrated into an AV processor/receiver. Some DACs are also digital pre-amps that have a volume control and can be used straight into a power amp. Some high end CDPs also have digital inputs so they can be used like an external DAC for other digital sources. Normal stereo amps don't have digital inputs.

In the late 80s early 90s everyone thought that the best route to go for high end CDPs was a separate transport and DAC. That was until they discovered the problems of jitter associated with using a digital cable. The trend reverted to single box CDPs with built in DACs. However there has always been a small number of high end separate transports and DACs around. For various reasons external DACs are making a bit of a comeback but I won't go into that now.

Anyway, there's no point in upgrading anything just so that you can use a digital IC. You only need a digital IC if you have an external DAC.

Also the whole balanced (XLR) vs. single ended (RCA phono) debate in digital cables is another controversial one. There isn't universal agreement on which is best is all I'll say :D

I can't remember what change you said you were looking for but if you just want to upgrade your ICs between CDP and amp then you can forget all about digital ICs and Omiga Audio :)

Some people have found that adding an external DAC to a budget/midrange CDP gives them a big improvement (and then of course you'd be into the whole digital IC thing) but it's just one of a number of possible upgrade strategies. You'll still need decent analogue ICs between a DAC and your amp.

Hope that explains a few things ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 10, 2003
  9. HenryT

GrahamN

Nothing to forgive, we can't all have perfect taste ;) . Actually, your taste in music is very fortunate, as IME that's the stuff that comes over best on a half-decent hifi - so saves you ££$$$$ (it's no coincidence that that's what's normally played at hi-fi shows). If I'm honest, female vocals and acoustic guitar are also the stuff that sounds the best on my system too.

BTW(a) - it took a long time to convince WM that his beloved Isolda IC was not the giant-killer that their speaker cable is.

GrahamN, Aug 10, 2003
  10. HenryT

Graham is correct Mr ears, It took about 10 seconds of an Acoustic Zen to convience me of that :) The just took it apart, and then some :cool:
    Now the Acoustic Zen has been dispatched and something else resisdes there. WM

11. HenryT

merlin

Having received a couple of balanced Liberators from Omiga last week, primarily for use as analogue interconnects with my Crown bass amplifier, I decided to give them a go between my transport and dac. I was intrigued to see how they stacked up in their intended application. The cables I had for comparison were the excellent Cardas AES, the VDH Integration, plus the VDH First ultimate and Nordost SilverShadow in SPDIF form.

Well I am most impressed with the Liberator. It's sonic signature is really that it does not have one. The Cardas was selected as it has a wonderful way of warming the presentation and adding body, without the usual attendant loss of detail. The Liberator does not add warmth, although it does not add an edge or brighness either, unlike the Nordost. It seems to be neutral and transparent across the spectrum, with a delightful clarity that enhances the perception of dynamic swings and impact.

Transients are handled very well, timing is fast and tight, with no digital hash enabling percussive dynamics to come out of a totally black background with exiting immediacy. Another strength that results from the combination of neutrality and low noise is presence, particularly noticeable in the way vocals are projected from the mix with clarity and substance. By comparison, the Cardas adds a sensuous sheen to proceedings, but a t the expense of a slightly closed in quality when closely compared to the more explicit presentation of the Liberator.

Image depth is another strong point, again clearly benefitting from the low noise floor. Depth is as good as I've heard in my setup. The only possible downside is a constriction of image width incomparison with the VDH and Cardas products. This is noticeable when listening to instuments that are panned to the far left or right of the stage. These also suffer from a slight loss of focus compared with the references. The upside of the soundstage presentation is that the Liberator gives a more solid and tangible central image. It is very much like switching from 192khz upsampling to 96khz. You lose width but gain focus. For me, the enhanced solidity leads to a more lifelike presentation and I am happy to trade a liitle width for more palpability, particularly on vocals and drums.

So all in all, a very impressive first product. The price of 250 gbp is competitive with alternatives from some of the most reverred cable companies on the high end scene, so I wish Omiga Audio well and look forward to further developments with interest.

merlin, Sep 7, 2003
  12. HenryT

Steven Toy

I'm also doing guinea pig duties for Omiga Audio :D having now tried two versions of their midpriced analogue interconnect (can't remember its name.)

The ones I've tried so far are both DIN/RCA to link my CDX with my Densen Beat B200.

The reference i/c is my own £300 DIN/RCA Chord Anthem.

The first one to come through the post had a sligtly better controlled bass, but was slightly rolled-off in the treble and was a little too laid-back for my tastes. It was lacking a touch in midband presence and leading edge definition.

It was pretty cohesive if not particularly coherent - timing didn't suffer because the laid-back nature was consistent throughout the frequency range, but busy musical passages became somewhat vague and hard to follow at times.

Overall I prefered the Anthem.

Then another vesion of this same i/c dropped through my front door :)

Essentially the wire and insulation were the same but the terminations were different. At one end there were now Eichmanns and at the other, the Naim style lockable DIN had been replaced by something that fitted snugly into the DIN socket at the back of the CDX but it wasn't lockable.

First off, the treble roll-off was gone and a more airy sound emerged.

Then I noticed that this cable was more lively with better leading edge attack, better even than the Anthem. It timed better than the Anthem too, and was more detailed.

I concluded that this was the interconnect to beat the Anthem...

Until this evening...

I played Only a woman's heart sung by Eleanor McEvoy. This isn't the Naim-audio label version, but the New Woman compilation featuring Mary Black. Whilst I was aware that during the track sometimes the woman singing wasn't always Eleanor, it was Mary, the differences between the vocalists weren't so clear and distinct as they are now.

Then I heard both of them singing together. Yes I can now hear two voices at one point where previously I heard only one. :D

Improved tangibility and presence of the vocals had made this separation of the two voices possible to hear. I never knew that on this recording they actually sang together - I thought they only took turns!

This i/c doesn't beat the more expensive Anthem, it absolutely trashes it.

I can't wait to hear what an RCA/RCA version will do, replacing the other Anthem between pre and power...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2003
    Steven Toy, Nov 13, 2003
  13. HenryT

Mr_Sukebe

I trialled one of the analogue phono to din cables a couple of months back from Omiga.

My findings were pretty alike to Steve.
    I presently use a cable custom built by Zanash which replaced the Cobra 2 I'd been using between my VRDS-7 and Nait5/hicap.
    The custom cable from Zanash butchered the std Cobra 2.

Either way, I found the Omiga to be:
    - VERY natural and neutral
    - Cleaner and more accurate at the frequency extremes
    - As Steve found with his first sample, slightly refrained on leadind edges.

Overall I'd say that of the two cables to hand, that if I wanted natural sound, the Omiga easily won it. However, I prefered the extra bounce given to my system by the improved leading edge on Zanash's cable, so I kept it as was.

If the newer version of the Omiga analogue resolves the leading edge element, then I think I'll be approaching Tony for a quick trial once my new CD player arrives (scheduled for the start of Dec).

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 13, 2003
Ask a Question