SACD vs CD dem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

John,

Only one way to really find out, that's to dem it yourself.

After a recent bake off, I'd suggest you trial both a Quad 99 and CD5i. Overall I'd say the Quad was slightly better, though personally I prefer the style of grooviness of the CD5i. The Quad was more natural in timbres across the frequency range.

So it's probably worth finding a friendly dealer and going for a comparison in the shop against your SACD player. Bearing in mind the cost, try to also take them both home to check them over. Personally I found it all too easy to only spot how good the mid range was on the SACD, and only picked up later on how boring it was to listen to, so an extended test is worth doing.

Mr_Sukebe, Feb 23, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

JohnMak

Ahhh Mr Sukebe ..... therein lies my problem ..... I am living and working in Vietnam where there are no dealers for much other than run-of-the-mill Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Taiwan products. A new dealer has opened in Saigon selling Rocksan stuff and another selling Primare but to my knowledge, that's it.

Whatever I buy, I have to buy on faith and have it flown in from Singapore. It's rough living here.

JohnMak, Feb 23, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

If you are in the price bracket for a new CD5i have you considered a pre-owned Sony SCD-1?

It beats the CD5i on CD playback (IN MY TRUE AND HONEST OPNION BASED ON MY AND ONLY MY EXPERIENCE) and kicks the arse of almost all of the available SACD players (IN MY TRUE AND HONEST OPNION BASED ON MY AND ONLY MY EXPERIENCE AND ONLY BASED ON THOSE SACD PLAYERS I HAVE PERSONALLY HAD THE PLEASURE OF HEARING) (I havent heard the new Krell or the Musical Fidelity Trivista which WM rates and it isnt quite on the same level as the high end Classe). Used = c. £1500, also the 777ES is cheaper and very similar.

Edited due to extreme use of absolute statements.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2004
    greg, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

JohnMak

Hi greg,
    I'd never heard of the SCD- 1 and was surprised to hear anyone ever say any Sony could be better than any Naim, (God I'd dare you to say that on the Naim forum) but I've looked up a couple of reviews of the SCD-1 (and 777ES) in Sterephile - Johnathan Scull ... hmmm???? and Art Dudley ... he's OK.

They certainly do seem to be well thought of and I have already tracked down a 2nd hand one for sale.

Can you advise the following: I see the SCD-1 is stereo only SACD ...... what would it do if a multichannel SACD was put in???

Cheers,

JohnMak, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

Most SACDs have a stereo CD and stereo SACD layer so I presume any/most multi-channel SACDs will also have a stereo only layer too?

I must make clear I own one, hence my bias, but I did listen to lots of CD players before buying the SCD-1 and it did convince me to be solid in CD playback. It left the CD5 someway behind and having since heard the CD5i I stand by this view. Then the SACD playback was stunning (IMO). The used price seems a steal.

There is lots of scope to upgrade too which can (so I am told) take the player to a very high standard. This is something I'm currently considering.

greg, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Greg>

Whilst I'm not going to try to argue as to whether YOU believe the Sony to be better, I think you're on rocky ground by making an absolute statement of the idea that it's better.

For one thing, I'm guessing that it has a completely different presentaton style, and if you like the Sony "style", I can't imagine you liking any Naim CDP. However, the same I'm sure is true in reverse.

Mr_Sukebe, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Give me a Trivista anyday :lol: Very recently had a long intimate demo with a Krell standard, it's better than current crop of so-called good sacd players, but still shy I'm afraid, for those who want a proper sacd player a Accuphase Dpv85 can be had for $5500 average in the US thats about £3200 landed and taxed, £180 approx for the voltage conversion.
    Worth a serious thought or 2. Wm

wadia-miester, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

I'm not making an absolute statement, I never would, I am naturally talking from my experience and I added that I own an SCD-1 hence my bias.

Thats an odd remark :confused:
    I'm not really sure what the Sony style is? I certainly didnt buy the SCD-1 for its "Sony style" whatever that might be. And why you draw the conclusion you cant imagine I'd like any Naim CDp I'm not sure. I happen to quite like the CDX2.

I wanted to buy a SACD player that also played CD, so did what most would do - I listened to a bunch of players in my price range. I listened to a CD5 amongst others and it just didnt compare IME.

As you comment, you are guessing. Why not try and give the SCD-1 a listen? you might like it even if the brand isnt your fave ;)

greg, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

I am dying to hear the Trivista, but, as we have discussed before, for 1500 squids what else would compare? Until a Trivista an be had used at this price there dont appear to be too many alternatives.

Incidentally how do you rate the CD output of the Accuphase?

greg, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Greg,

Well I tried to use an objective way of discussing your opinion, but clearly that wasn't sufficient.

Now, to me if someone states "it beats the CD5i .... ", without a qualification of "IN MY OPINION" then it is an absolute statement.

As for thinking that Sony don't have a sonic style, I'm a little surprised at that.
    One of the things that I've learnt in the last few years is that kit of a similar price but from different manufacturers are most certainly NOT necessarily better, as against just different.
    For example, I've heard amps at the same price from Meridian, Naim, Cyrus, arcam etc. Yes I definitely prefered one of them, but could understand why other people may well chose another because that brand has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I really do think that if you asked here, that you're likely to get a similar opinion to mine from a number of other fellow Zerogainers.

Mr_Sukebe, Feb 23, 2004
  11. Mr_Sukebe

Greg, the cd performance of the Accuphase is pretty good , not quite my cup of tea, but for the money & the package excellent value used.
    Why limit yourself to the UK ?, there are also some multi format players being realsed in the next 4-6 months which are rather good and not silly money either, enough to make people think, me I've already reserved mine player.
    The trivista is a fair step up from a stock scd-1, although I would own neither, Best price I've seen UK is £2800 used US is $4500 so not much in it when taxes & shipping taken into account
    One last question did you feel the guy doing the nordost demo played fair or not?

12. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

Well I do feel we sometimes spend far too much time talking around in circles - afterall all our posts are based on our opinions - though I agree - for those lurking or looking for absolute advice without qualification of this, then some people might make purchases based on personal opinions expressed here without further qualification if such qualification is not appended to each and every post which doesnt contain a clear context. Anyway - edited my post :SLEEP:

Yep all depends on what you are looking for, etc. However I consider the SCD-1 is not really comparable to other Sony products so the "sony style" perhaps is irrelevent. My advice to you would be listen to the SCD-1 then tell me what you think.

greg, Feb 23, 2004
  13. Mr_Sukebe

greg Its a G thing

No not really - he was a good salesman for anyone smitten with or using Nordost products but he didnt really allow people enogh time when switching back to the standard lead and did very specifically choose passages of music which would highlight the Valhalla setup in general. I did feel the Valhalla cord allowed a reality to be presented though.

At times I was trying very hard to ignore the Nordost aspect and try and "hear" the Hovland/Eben combo.

I was especially interested in the comments regards compression of dynamics and equipment not being able to "see the power station" due to power conditioners, filters, etc.

I havent paid too much attention of late so am pissed off I didnt click the Seventh Veil room's relevance to the forum. :(

greg, Feb 23, 2004
  14. Mr_Sukebe

Never mind Greg, they'll be Heathrow :)
    As for the comments about not being able to see the power station' by nordost it depends entirely how good the conditioner is at disappearing ;) Wm

Ask a Question