Sliding Arm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Feb 24, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Wants - thats a laugh, how about a very early LP12 with basik arm for £480 - its been there for months - sounds like one for "The Devil"... I go into wants now and again, but never see anything worth buying.
    Drake Circus...Mothercare (opposite Boots) is now gone, Drake Circus is empty and there's a massive hole in the ground. Apparantly the new building is going to go from where Boots is, all the way over towards Bretonside (as far as that circular car park)...come to Plymouth in a couple of years and you wont recogise it.

WHY HAS EVERYONE GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME BUYING A P3 - YOU GUYS RECOMMENED IT - AND IT SEEMS PRETTY CLASS IF YOU ASK ME.
    "BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME" - ERM EXCUSE ME, IF ID BOUGHT SOMETHING REALLY SHITE ID UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM, BUT OTHERWISE...DONT BOTHER.
    YES I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A KNACKERED LP12, BUT COME ON; I'M 18, I COULDNT AFFORD ANYTHING MORE. AND IF I WAS LOADED I'D GO AND GET A GYRODEC OR SOMETHING BY CLEARAUDIO ANYWAY...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2004
    jimmymcfarrell, Feb 27, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

thommo

Woah, jimmy.

Don't get wound up, mate.

I've got a P3, with a plain old ortofon 520 in it. Old Devil will probably laugh at that, too. Good luck to him. I couldn't give a monkey's. He might as well be telling me that his wallpaper is nicer than mine. OK, well done. Next.

My P3 sounds brilliant to me, does exactly what I want out of a record deck, and sounded miles better to me than comparatively priced or even more expensive decks when I did some listening (Project RPM4 & 6). As did my amp & cd player in their respective auditions, and they're currently getting a kicking by anyone who has an opinion. As far as I'm concerened, you bought the best sounding deck around for the money, and also the most robust, which was obviously also a consideration, and which you've addressed, but I'm also fully aware that my opinion isn't worth a bean in the greater scheme of things.

Don't let anything anyone tells you on here make you doubt your own ears/choices. If it sounds good to you, then that's all that matters. Does it make the music you listen to even more of a pleasurable experience? If it's a yes, then it's doing exactly what it says on the tin and good luck to you.

I've never really "got" the whole looking down the nose on someone else's kit, or even the superior attitude that some people have, even if it is tongue in cheek. If it makes them happy, then, again, good luck to them, even if whatever gratification they get out of it, especially as it's tantamount to being that Harry Enfield character "I'm considerably richer than yow", is beyond me and my poor old Essex brain. They're also pretty resistant to the idea that people can have different opinions to themselves.

thommo, Feb 27, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

I don't care very much what you bought because I'll never have to listen to it. I don't know what your deck cost, but with a bit of shopping around you could almost certainly find a decent LP12 for a lot less than a grand. LP12s are very difficult to 'knacker', and new parts are easy to find if they have been 'knackered' in some strange way. One of the features of the LP12 is its long-term reliability.

No matter how many times dom says that the P3 is better, he is still wrong.

The Devil, Feb 27, 2004
  4. jimmymcfarrell

thommo

See?

thommo, Feb 27, 2004
  5. jimmymcfarrell

I think you've just proved our point...how many 18 year olds can fork out a grand on a turntable? Unless "Daddy buys me an LP12" its not gonna happen...

6. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

I did say 'a lot less than', but not to worry, the P3 is a good deck.

The Devil, Feb 27, 2004
  7. jimmymcfarrell

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Dom I would be delighted if you popped round, I would hope to liven your interest in LP12s because in my opinion they are going for great prices on Ebay at the moment.

Bare in mind that naim and linn were bed fellows at one point, the aro for instance was really designed for the LP12.

The phono boards for your amp still carry the same suffixes for which type of linn cartridge you are using and the boards were designed specifically on the assumption that it was being fed linn.

At the end of the day its a match made in heaven, you are half way there ;)

email me, gareth dotty irwin at ntlworld dotty com

garyi, Feb 27, 2004
  8. jimmymcfarrell

[​IMG]

Does look okay actually...don't fancy that bouncy chassic much......
    The point I was making though was: with my system(s) (TAG 60i or late model A&R A60, with AE120 speakers, or A&R Active setup), would I notice the difference?

9. jimmymcfarrell

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The bounce is scary, espcially when you factor in a uni pivot such as the aro which give you two points of boincing, very scary.

However you just need to be confident. lift and lower, job done!

Seriously you need to hear these decks properly.

garyi, Feb 27, 2004
  10. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

Yes you will hear the difference. I got my first LP12 when I was 23, back in 1985, with a basik arm and a MM Ortofon cartridge into a NAD 3020 and AR18s. It was a quantum leap ahead of my mate's P3 even though his amp & speakers were a lot better than mine.

The bounce isn't an issue with the Ittok because it has a lift device. The Aro is a scary arm, but you get used to it.

Source first, young Jedi.

The Devil, Feb 28, 2004
  11. jimmymcfarrell

mick parry stroppy old git

Dom

You said..."Hint - £45 will get you a Knosti Disco Antistat. Another £20ish will get you 100 poly-lined inner sleeves.

I have never used a Knosti but I have heard that the muck settles to the lower part of the LP (ie 6 o clock position) and when you play it, the needle picks it all up.

Is that true.

I must admit that I like the Loricraft cleaner, it is just so silent.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Feb 28, 2004
  12. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Jimmy,

What you might not know -

Youve stumbled across the ''For vs Against LP12'' arguement that is an arguement that has been raging for 30 years..

Ive only been on hifi forums for about 4 years, and its raised its head every few weeks throughout that time.

Its not about kit snobbery (well maybe a bit), and not about your own hifi choices....

More about LP12 afficionado's defending their equipment choice against all comers. Picking an LP12 is a contentious subject these days.

You should be well pleased with your P3, its plenty good enough to enjoy vinyl on forevermore :)

Have fun spinning that vinyl.

Chris

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2004
  13. jimmymcfarrell

In the eyes of an Linn fan, how much would you have to spend to better an LP12. I.e. what deck would LP12 owners like to upgrade to.
    Im now tempted to buy an LP12 (when funds allow) so I can have the choice between it and my P3 (fair enough really, I can justify having 3 amps!); and then I really will be able to comment on this argument...

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 28, 2004
  14. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

I don't know, really. I just turbocharged my old LP12 using Mana, then I got a modded one.

The Devil, Feb 28, 2004
  15. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Jimmy,

Die-in-the-wool Linn fans would say they know of no better turntable, and would point to setup/configuration of the deck as the way forward for improvement on a more basic LP12 .

The ''against'' crowd, may say anything from 300,500,1000 upwards will better the LP12...(amount depending on personal opinion)

There is no right or wrong about this, its just a choice over presentation IMO

Chris

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2004
  16. jimmymcfarrell

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Absolutely ... and what fun it is getting the Linnies all wound up about it, you can almost smell the indignation. Methinks they protest too much ... perhaps.

The P3 is a great deck but friend of mine in Watford recently got an LP12 and it was the first time I'd listend to one in many a year - beats a P3 I'd say, but with the arm and cart combo he is using its also getting on for 8 times the price. So hardly a fair comparison.

Me I'd never buy anything so effin' ugly :eek: (go on, go on, I love the heat :MILD: ).

Uncle Ants, Mar 1, 2004
  17. jimmymcfarrell

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, I got so wound up that I hit the 'CAPS LOCK' key and went off on a rant.

The Devil, Mar 1, 2004
Ask a Question