Somewhat worried - eBay scam....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Ah but there are no illicit links on this listing. I also sent them the advert in advance for approval. No reply on that but so far I've got away with it.

Sadly, no links means far fewer visitors to my site but enough to make it worthwhile. It did get picked up in an amusing thread on the Cyrus Unofficial Forum. Robert, the administrator there, seems to know me (or of me). Nice posting by him.

Good to know that I've maintained my reputation as one of the top guerilla marketers in the field of high end audio - one day speaker designer. :rolleyes:

7_V, Dec 10, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Stumblin, the trouble with that idea is how many people would report ligit auctions just so theirs get more prominece?

Say I was selling a Pioneer CDP and someone else is selling an identical one, I might be inclined to report his for the sake of it!

Sorry I was a bit harsh earlier. My step dad is one such trusting person. He bought a pair of speakers off the back of a lorry for 120 quid. His only saving grace is that he sold them for 120 as well. But yes he was done like a kipper.

The best one is those guys that sell carpet, "got some left from a job" when you unroll it its half the size, and is the cheapest rib cord carpet available today on the market.

Never-the-less people that want to sell honestly on Ebay should know that 0 feedback will not do them well when selling expensive items.

I saw a pair of Naim NBLs on ebay the other week, discription was less then a sentence, the guy had no feedback and a minimum price had been set, I meen common if this guy was honest, he is doing himself no favours!

garyi, Dec 10, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

adam

I've just put some stuff on Ebay,all of it is absolutely mint and 100% working order,other people were selling the same stuff,getting more bids than me,the reason?,i was selling from Spain,which was obviously a great put off and made it harder for me to sell them even though the products i had for sale were in mint condition.I was getting bids mostly from Italy,but i found it intresting that you get alot of e-mails of people expecting them to make a bid and dont.

So i had to put some of my kit on the Spanish e-bay which is as dead as a dodo,but have got more response there than what i got on the uk one,even managed to sell my SF concertinos for more than I wanted:p

adam, Dec 10, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

PeteH Natural Blue

There's been a whole rash of these on Ebay recently with people (or, I suspect, just one person) setting up a whole load of Ebay accounts and ripping wholesale Audiogon adverts for high-end kit including all the same photos from honest sellers' front rooms. (Link to a HFC thread on the subject.) I tried to get through Ebay's bewildering automated reply system to notify them about it - all the dodgy accounts were pulled in time (I hope).

PeteH, Dec 10, 2003
  5. dunkyboy

michaelab desafinado

adam, I'm registered on eBay in Portugal (as I live there) but I always put the "location" of my items as London. That way when people in the UK eBay search for local items my items show up.

It's not really dishonest as I come to London at least once a month and have often in fact brought smaller items with me and sent them out from London.

Unfortunately, I've seen a number of eBay "do's and dont's" FAQs where people say "avoid items that say they're located in a different place from where the seller is registered". Personally, I think that's total bollox - it all depends on each individual case.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 10, 2003
Ask a Question