Sonus Faner Signum flapping cones?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by greg, Apr 20, 2004.

1. greg

lowrider Live music is surround

I am sure you will have fun with the EAIIs...

Well, if it was the system's fault, the EAIIs would have the same highs as the Signums, and they sure are a lot more asssertive in that area, as well as the other areas, I know they have the same tweeters, thats why timbre matches so well, but it must be sort of attenuated by the xover, I assume...

Maybe the Signums are more detailed in the mids, but at calm levels, and their bass is not shy, but a lot woolier than the EAII...

I find the Signum, like the Guarnieri, to have shy highs, many audiophiles prefer less treble and bass, it does cause less problems with not so good rooms and, why not, systems or records... ;)

lowrider, Apr 21, 2004
  2. greg

greg Its a G thing

Lawrie - interesting comments.
    Antonio - can I ask have you tried using your Bel Canto to drive the Signums, if so did you find any notable differences from the Bryston?

greg, Apr 21, 2004
  3. greg

Not really, the Bel Canto is used bridged for the front and center channels, never had the curiosity to test that, besides I am still waiting for a woofer for one of the Signums... But now that you mention it, it should sound very good...

lowrider, Apr 21, 2004
  4. greg

greg Its a G thing

I'd be interested to know whether the results were different to the Bryston - particularly as the Bel Canto's are well know for the way they can mercilessly grip the lower end.

I'm kindof at a bit of a cross roads then - whether I stick with the Signums (I like their presentation of my front end revealing is good in this case - until they distort) and move upwards in the amplification stakes or bale out sell 'em and try something else.

greg, Apr 21, 2004
  5. greg

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Greg,

I too would be very interested to know Lowrider's results on that test as I doubt whether it is the speakers that are at fault.

With regard to staying with or ditching the Signums, well if it were me, I'd ditch the amp and get something more compatible with the Signums. Being a betting man, I'm willing to say that something within those amps is causing those drivers to flap or the sound to distort. At 12 o'clock with my digital source, the sound is very loud but smooth but no flapping of the drivers or audible distortion (I tried it this evening) so I suspect your amp is at fault. Keep the Signums, and when you can change the amp and later-on add a subwoofer like the REL Strata III or MJ Acoustics Reference 150 (which I use). You'd be amazed at how much better these speakers sound with a subwoofer added as it fleshes out the mid and lo-end and the highs become even more stunning. Btw, I am familiar with the Cyrus amps hence my comment. Anyway do a search here: www.audioasylum.com for more info on SF Signum speakers.

Lowrider – Interesting comment there about bass & treble. I like my treble crystalline clear but not etched and I like my bass deep but very, very, tight. I get that right now with the Signums plus sub. However, extreme treble and plenty of big bass are not my thing so it could be that we are looking for very different things from the very same speakers. Btw, speaking of blowing the Signums woofers, it seems to be happening quite a bit in the Lowrider household does it not?:D I also noticed on the Bel Canto Evo thread that you blew the tweeter of your Proac CC2 speaker so what's going on with that system of your's Lowrider? Now, come clean with us on this one.:D Just to jog your memory here is the thread; https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?threadid=3038&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2004
    Lawrie, Apr 21, 2004
  6. greg

Lawrie

You dont miss a thing... :p

The tweeter was either a coincidence or the Bel Canto playing very loud without proper run-in... :rolleyes:

The first woofer went a year ago, didnt notice how, the second Signum's woofer went in the same day as the CC2's tweeter, I admit I had a lot to drink and I was showing of my system very loud with a very harsh fight scene, maybe too much sword clashing and furniture bursting for the little ones, I have the max volume limited now... :shame:

By the way, I love the sound of the Signums with Bryston, one of the surrounds is right in front of me when I sit at the PC, and the timbre is fantastic... :MILD:

[​IMG]

lowrider, Apr 22, 2004
  7. greg

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Lowrider,

Thanks for that explanation and also for the kind words.;) I've just checked your website and you do appear to have a nice set-up there. Btw, what placement distances have you used for the EA 2s i.e. from the back and the sides? Thanks!

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie. :D

Lawrie, Apr 22, 2004
  8. greg

I place the EAII about 1/6th of the lenght and with of the room, in fact the right speaker is a little further, trial and error until it sounded good to me, imaging and tonal balance, (probably because of the bookshelves), it is around 1,20 meters from the window and 70 cms from the side walls, center of the woofer, of course...

lowrider, Apr 22, 2004
Ask a Question