Speaker cable suggestions (cheap please)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, May 11, 2004.

1. PBirkett

BlueMax

Issac Sibson's speaker cable with silver-plated copper wire with teflon dielectric seems a good project. :)

I haven't tried platting 4 cables only 3; but should be possible I suppose.
    :confused:

BlueMax, May 12, 2004
  2. PBirkett

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

[​IMG]

Yes, braiding 4 wires is possible, but it requires more concentration than three to keep the order correct. Yes, it looks a bit thin, but the wire is rated for 1000V, 11A (15A for the thicker version), and it's heftier than chord rumour.

It's not the greatest cable ever but it does the job and for the money it's pretty darn good.

I-S, May 12, 2004
  3. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

I have just ordered some van damme 2.5 mil from craplins, so will keep you posted, I am not now too keen on the instrument cable for i/c's
    its nice to use, but some other stuff sounds better, and I am tempted with that silver plate teflon hi-tech stuff in farnell, too.:)

try solid twin and earth, its really cheap, nothing to lose...one for me to do, too.

Lt Cdr Data, May 12, 2004
  4. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

When I'm not using the ATCs, which don't require speaker cable, I generally use this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040512214826685&moduleno=17717

Does the job. If you've got too much bass, it's probably positioning, however, as Penance suggested. What are your speakers? Do they have a rear port? Like you, I have to have the speakers relatively close to the wall, nothing rear-ported has ever sounded any good in this room as a result.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 12, 2004
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Sideshowbob,

The speakers are Mission M51's and are rear ported, and (speculation) probably designed for big bass anyway. The speakers are approximately 40-50cm away from the back wall (as far out as they can realistically go) and the left speaker is again about 50 cm from the side wall.

To think I bought these speakers because I thought they would be less bassy than the Wharfedales I had before, and they look small and didnt sound too bad in the shop (on Mission stands ina big room), but even though they look small and have relatively small drivers, they are deep, and have long throw drivers. Ultimate extension aint too great, but what bass it does have comes out VERY forcefully sometimes.

PBirkett, May 12, 2004
  6. PBirkett

I run mine about 40cm from the wall behind, and the end of the transmission line is on the back (you can see it above the binding posts in the pic above). I used to have them further away when I was running the tara and omiga speaker cables. It's a question of tuning for room effects and the cables in use. I found that room layout had more impact that speaker cable changes.

I-S, May 12, 2004
  7. PBirkett

zanash

Ok well you didn't tell me how much .....so how long do you need them?

I've a diy design you may be intrested in .......Pure[4n] silver four cores of solid core silver loosly plaited, the ground uses 1mm, and the positive 0.5mm.
    Max single run of around 3m longer if you don't mind a clear heat shrink sheath. The ptfe sleeve only comes in set lengths. Cost should work out arround £25/m.

I've been running this for the best part of six months now, replaced Ubyte -2 , cat5 [ffrc] , shark solid silver, Qed aniversery, Missing links slingshot. It's far ahead of these cables in clarity and imagery as to be unbelivable. Simply the speakers have disappeared , bass is fast and accurate though not as overblown as in copper cables.

If your intrested give me a email.

zanash, May 13, 2004
  8. PBirkett

BlueMax

I am thinking of giving this design by Isaac a go. Found these specs at Farnell:
    Farnell 322-2251 and 322-2263, 20 AWG, 11 Amp
    Farnell FEC 322-1830 and 322-1842, 18AWG, 15 Amp

which is much less than for:-
    Chord Rumour 2 and 4, 16AWG
    Odyssey 2 and 4, 12AWG

I wonder if bass response could be improved by using 4 off Farnell 15 Amp cables per channel!
    Same as Issacs pic but 2 sets. One set of 4 cables per channel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2004
    BlueMax, Jul 6, 2004
  9. PBirkett

I've used chord rumour in the past, and I can assure you that even the smaller of these wires from farnell is heftier. Perhaps you could improve on it in this way, feel free to experiment. I didn't have enough wire for that.

I-S, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question